Install Kodi on Openfiler
Hello,

I recently thought of turning my old laptop into a NAS. By informing myself, I found that I could install Openfiler which I did. But now I can not find a step by step tutorial to install Kodi / XBMC under Openfiler.

Can anyone point me to a tutorial or explain how to do it ?

Thank you

Best Regards
Welcome to forums.

No I dont think it is at all supported, maybe look for unofficial headless compiles of kodi on some search engine.
Thank for your answer.
Do you think I should install another OS on my laptop to run Kodi (like FreeNAS or another linux distrib) ?
Sure depends on what OS and what you want to do. for kodi you looking at full openGL support.
I only want to install Kodi to use it as a NAS. What is the most suitable OS for that ?
Kodi is a media player not a NAS software.

If you want a headless kodi only to update your library, or does your NAS have enough and powerful CPU+GPU to handle regular kodi install.

I think you should explain exactly what you want to achieve here.
Yes maybe I wasn't very clear. Let me start over.

I got this old laptop I don't use anymore and I want to store my library (Films, TV Show) on it to access it from another computer or TV on my private network (at home).
I search on the Internet and I found out that's what a NAS do. So I figured I'd install Openfiler on it and then install Kodi to manage my library. But now I'm stuck after the installation of Openfiler.
It's a Toshiba Satellite C670D-112. Here are the specs :
- Processor : AMD E-350 (1,6 GHz)
- Video Card : AMD Radeon HD 6310M
- 4Go RAM
- 1 hard drive 750Go

What OS do you recommend me for that use ?

PS : My english is quite limited. So if you don't understand me, feel free to tell me.
Open-filler is not necessary to turn your laptop into a server.

Installing something like Kodibuntu and then sharing your files as SMB or NFS can work rather well.

IMO leave openfiller out of it its quite unnecessary to turn some old laptop into a some file server..
Thank you ! I will try to install Kodibuntu and I'll tell you if it works.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Install Kodi on Openfiler0