Duplicate episodes in series stored in NAS
(2014-12-31, 02:02)HereIsMartin Wrote: I removed the advancedsettings.xml file and updated the library and got duplicate episodes again.

From kodi.log:
DEBUG: VideoInfoScanner: Found episode match smb://192.168.1.80/Public/Shared Videos/TV-Series/XXXX/Season 4/.AppleDouble/

I then restored the advancedsettings.xml file, removed the incorrect episode from Kodi and updated the library again and the .AppleDouble file wasn't added.

Did you add the advancedsettings.xml file in the correct folder, it should be located in the same folder as the guisettings.xml file.

You can enable Debug in Kodi and validate that the advancedsettings.xml file is loaded correctly. Look for the following messages in the log file:
NOTICE: Loaded settings file from special://profile/advancedsettings.xml
NOTICE: Contents of special://profile/advancedsettings.xml are...

Also note that the file must be named advancedsettings.xml (lowercase).

Logfile: http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Advanced
Advancedsettings: http://kodi.wiki/view/AdvancedSettings.xml

You are right. For some reason advancedsettings does not load to my system. Log file says: no <advancedsettings> node. What am I doing wrong?
I found it. The advancedsettings file must be encoded in ASCII. Now it works for me as well.
Regardless of that I reported it as a bug.
Hello Guys,

I have the same issue. In my environement i am using 2x Windows 7, 1x Raspberry PI, 1x Qnap with mysql and smb share.

I dont have files and folders begining with dot. I tryed to use zour pased code in advancedsettings.xml but without luck.

I have the same advanced settings on all three computers. Any progres?

My TV Show directory looks like this:

26. 01. 2015 21:35 <DIR> .
25. 01. 2015 09:46 <DIR> ..
25. 01. 2015 17:52 359˙381˙357 Breaking.Bad.S01E07.720p.CZTitulky---WaffelSK.mp4
25. 01. 2015 16:29 308˙817˙613 Breaking.Bad.S01E04.720p.CZTitulky---WaffelSK.mp4
25. 01. 2015 16:47 475˙654˙676 Breaking.Bad.S01E01.720p.CZTitulky---WaffelSK.mp4
25. 01. 2015 16:35 367˙489˙073 Breaking.Bad.S01E02.720p.CZTitulky---WaffelSK.mp4
25. 01. 2015 16:29 316˙336˙460 Breaking.Bad.S01E03.720p.CZTitulky---WaffelSK.mp4
25. 01. 2015 17:54 371˙378˙345 Breaking.Bad.S01E06.720p.CZTitulky---WaffelSK.mp4
25. 01. 2015 16:36 372˙196˙702 Breaking.Bad.S01E05.720p.CZTitulky---WaffelSK.mp4

Any progress in this issue?

Thanks

Caspi
Any update on this issue? Surprised more people aren't suffering from it.. :/
I finally updated to Kodi and have (unfortunately) succumed to this issue as well. I tried adding the lines to my advancedsettings.xml to ignore the file types to no avail. I see that a ticket has been open for seven weeks, but still hasn't be resolved in the nightlies. Really hoping it gets fixed soon!
Ticket link?
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Re. the advancedsettings.xml, also with the caveat I haven't had the time to actually test/prove this theory:

If the exclusion *does* work, as it is implemented at the moment I would only expect this to come into effect for new/on-going library scans - ie. those duplicates that have already been picked up (prior to updating your advancedsettings.xml with the exclusion) will remain.. even after completing a 'Clean Library' (noting the action terminology you are excluding this from is "append").

A way of testing this would be to update the advancedsettings.xml, manually delete the offending .AppleDouble folders (suggested recursive command line), clean library and monitor. And/or perhaps leave a single .AppleDouble for testing purposes, manually remove this reference from your library, then rescan to check it isn't picked up again (ie. the exclusion has worked).

Hopefully when this bug gets fixed - presumably a hard-exclusion coded in - this will have the logic of both excluding from scans as well as taking effect during a clean library action so as to remove any duplicates already picked up.
Right. Currently there's no way to automatically remove them from library. Clean library won't remove it as the path is still valid. Easiest workaround on new install is to place a .nomedia file in there - this will make the infor scanner skip the folder.

Mind sharing the ticket link?
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
I personally found the easiest workaround was to:

1) Modify advancedsettings.xml to prevent the duplicates reoccurring
2) Running a recursive command-line to delete all the .AppleDoube folders (expect to take 5 minutes to Google to find the correct command for your OS if you don't already know and then much less time again do actually run and do its thing!)
3) Run a Kodi 'Clean Library' - as the .AppleDouble folders are no longer there (or more to the point he duplicate media files within them) they will be scrubbed from the library = back to normal
4) Fingers crossed either the advancedsettings.xml exclusion works and/or the bug is fixed before loads of these .AppleDouble folders are created again!

(optional additional step: there is a command you can run on your Apple OS(s) which might stop these folders from being generated, mixed information whether it actually works for these folders or just for other similar .DS_Store files, however above should have you covered and fyi not something I've bothered with as I have too many Apple clients to make this practical!)

Nb. took me longer to type this post than it do actually implement this.. on a library of 600+ movies / 140-odd tv series!
Deleted
(2015-02-23, 12:57)mkortstiege Wrote: Right. Currently there's no way to automatically remove them from library. Clean library won't remove it as the path is still valid. Easiest workaround on new install is to place a .nomedia file in there - this will make the infor scanner skip the folder.

Ticket that relates to this issue: http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/15680

Many thanks for looking into this.. Smile
(2015-02-23, 13:13)simonw500 Wrote:
(2015-02-23, 12:57)mkortstiege Wrote: Right. Currently there's no way to automatically remove them from library. Clean library won't remove it as the path is still valid. Easiest workaround on new install is to place a .nomedia file in there - this will make the infor scanner skip the folder.

Thanks. Please enable debug logging in system settings, update library and attach the entire kodi.log to the ticket so we have more information about the actual issue.
(2015-02-23, 13:17)mkortstiege Wrote:
(2015-02-23, 13:13)simonw500 Wrote:

Thanks. Please enable debug logging in system settings, update library and attach the entire kodi.log to the ticket so we have more information about the actual issue.

Sure - can do, either myself sometime later this week or (hopefully) someone else sooner!

However, is the issue and logic not pretty straight-forward without the need for logs? Apple OS's create .AppleDouble folders within some/all folders the Apple OS touches, then within these folders are 'doubles' of each file in the folder above - same filename/extension however tiny files containing metadata describing the data file as opposed to a duplicate of the data file itself - Kodi sees both the actual data file (video.mkv) and the metadata double (also video.mkv) therefore creates two duplicate entries in the db.. can hardly blame it, garbage in / garbage out etc!

Simple fix = always ignore the contents of all .AppleDouble folders (this is a well-known system -style folder, never contains any Kodi-relevant user data, numerous other apps and utilities are hard-coded with this exception too). Presumably if exception is made within the file-scanning module it will automatically cause the "Clean Library" routine to tidy up any db duplicates already there.
(2015-02-23, 13:28)simonw500 Wrote: Simple fix = always ignore the contents of all .AppleDouble folders (this is a well-known system -style folder, never contains any Kodi-relevant user data, numerous other apps and utilities are hard-coded with this exception too). Presumably if exception is made within the file-scanning module it will automatically cause the "Clean Library" routine to tidy up any db duplicates already there.

Nope, it won't clean up automatically as the file path is still valid. You have to handle the dupes manually. This being the case, I am a bit reluctant to hard-code it when there's already a way to exclude them on future update library runs.
(2015-02-23, 15:53)mkortstiege Wrote:
(2015-02-23, 13:28)simonw500 Wrote: Simple fix = always ignore the contents of all .AppleDouble folders (this is a well-known system -style folder, never contains any Kodi-relevant user data, numerous other apps and utilities are hard-coded with this exception too). Presumably if exception is made within the file-scanning module it will automatically cause the "Clean Library" routine to tidy up any db duplicates already there.

Nope, it won't clean up automatically as the file path is still valid. You have to handle the dupes manually. This being the case, I am a bit reluctant to hard-code it when there's already a way to exclude them on future update library runs.

Hmm.. apologies - I naively figured the clean-up routine would (/could be made to) follow the same exception when validating the path.

While generally against hard-coding stuff myself, I have to say in this instance I feel such is justified - the .AppleDouble *is* a system folder that should never be considered by Kodi. Yes there does seem to be a method/work-around to currently address this by way of an advancedsettings.xml entry however this means that all such affected users need to a) create/modify an advancedsettings.xml and 2) do some form of manual tidy up if they already have duplicates. I suspect this problem will be pretty wide-spread: basically Kodi users where Apple OS's touch non-Apple filesystems.. most common case being users who store media on a NAS and have one or more Mac clients (I'd suggest this being quite a common use-case, no?).

Additionally, it was mentioned by another user this bug is only affecting TV series and not Movies (haven't verified myself however taking on face value), this would suggest the bug has already been addressed in some of the code.

Personally I can fix my setup to work around this bug, and there's enough info in this thread alone for others to do the same, that being said it would still be nice if it were fixed for future (potentially more novice) users, no?

Either way, thanks again for looking into it Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Duplicate episodes in series stored in NAS0