No thrills, just 10bit 1080p anime with A*A*S subs
Like the title says, all I'm looking for is a raspberry pi to play 10bit vids with proper a.ss subtitle support.

I have searched a lot so I'm sorry if the answers are there, but I couldn't find them.

I've got a chrome cast, which is nice an all, but streaming content wirelessly is a task which none savvy I can get to grips with, I just wanna plug my 2tb in a watch. I got a non branded media player, it was terrible. I got a roku, slightly better, but still not that great. I got a wd tv thingy na bob, better, but still incompatible with 10bit, of course I only found out what 10bit was after running into these problems. I started redox loading my collection in 8bit, grrr.

But then I ran into another problem, the wd tv live doesn't respect positioning used in a.ss subs. It takes whatever is being displayed on the screen and dumps it all at the bottom. So if you are watching an anime with an a.ss subtitle which is supposed to be translating a toilet sign, that "Toilet" will show up right next to the subs for normal regular dialogue. I learnt some simple notepad++ and managed to delete this kinda stuff! but what I reli want to do is create dual subs with japanese subs up top. The wd tv I currently has just makes a big mess of subs at the bottom.

Anyway, I digress. I just want something to play my media off of my USB had. I want it to support proper a.ss positioning as well as japanese text. Is the pi what I'm looking for?

Which one shall I get, preferably from amazon.co.uk. I don't mind spending more to ensure fast whatever you call what a pi does. I was on the verge on getting a popcorn hour, which are like 200, so please, if there is a model to ensure working-ness.

I'm sure by now I've horrified you all with my exquisite lack of knowledge of the technical arts, but please bare with me.
It won't work.

The PI has no hwdecoding support for hi10p And the single core CPU has no extension to be able to do that in software.

There is not a single chip out there that can decode hi10p in hardware.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thank you for the swift reply. Although I'm not to sure I know exactly what chips and decoding is I can surmise that 10bit just ain't happening.which is fine, I was expecting that somewhat.

That said, I wanna make sure I get the right pi model, which won't buckle under hd. Also I really need to know if I will get correct subtitle positioning on the a.ss subs.
If your set on a RPi, get either the B or B+ as these have 512MB or RAM.
Any recent 2014 Micro SDHC card will work well. I use a cheap 8GB Sandisk.
Also get a proper 5V/2.0 Amp power supply as you will need to Overclock to get the most out of the RPI.

Openelec - Kodi running on my overclocked RPi B+ can playback 1080p H264 video at bitratres of 50Mbps without effort over ethernet using the NFS protocol.
These bitrates are greater than those found on Bluray rips. Superb HD picture quality.
It has a very capable GPU.

Kodi on the RPi can do ASS/SSA Subtitles:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Subtitles

More info on RPi here:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=152339
http://kodi.wiki/view/Raspberry_Pi

Test Files Here:
http://jell.yfish.us/

Smile

Nice, thanks for the detailed post, now I know which models to look out for. I also need a wireless thingy to use my ipad as a remote, a powered hub to use my portable hdd and a usb keyboard for initial setup. Does that all sound right?

Although I see that it is mentioned in several places, I need to know if they are fully supported. Font, colour, but especially position. A streamer I've got says it supports a.ss subs, but it completely ignore font, colour position. It treats them like srt, basically no formatting, just text. I wanna make sure a rpi won't be the same case
(2014-12-30, 16:53)Epi222 Wrote: Nice, thanks for the detailed post, now I know which models to look out for. I also need a wireless thingy to use my ipad as a remote, a powered hub to use my portable hdd and a usb keyboard for initial setup. Does that all sound right?
Do you have ethernet near your TV. If you do then you don't need a wireless dongle - your iPad will connect through the router to the Pi.
If you don't have ethernet then be aware that wifi is not ideal for streaming video. It may be okay for 720p video and possibly for simpler 1080p, but it is much more limited than wired ethernet.

Quote:Although I see that it is mentioned in several places, I need to know if they are fully supported. Font, colour, but especially position. A streamer I've got says it supports a.ss subs, but it completely ignore font, colour position. It treats them like srt, basically no formatting, just text. I wanna make sure a rpi won't be the same case

I don't watch a lot of subbed content, but I've certainly seen ASS/SSA subs in different colour and positions. The Pi should behave the same as any other kodi platform for subs.
Perhaps someone else can confirm.
I don't recommend a single band WiFi USB dongle for reliable HD playback. RF Interference will happen from a multitude of sources. Particularly Microwave Ovens.
I tried a cheap single band one and was not happy with it.

You're better off getting a Dual band USB dongle (2.4GHz & 5GHz) something like this.
https://www.modmypi.com/tenda-w522u-5ghz...ifi-dongle

This will then allow you to control Kodi from the XBMC app on you iPad.
You will of course need a compatible Dual Band WiFi router.
I just use ethernet now to solve all issues.

Keyboards can be either:
Wired
RF Wireless or
Bluetooth (you will need a cheap Bluetooth dongle then too)

A Keyboard is not even needed for initial Setup, just a PC with a SD card slot, so you can put the Openelec - Kodi image on to the card using the PC. You need a microSDHC card and adapter for the RPi B+ or just a regular SD card for the RPi B.
Once this is done and the SD card is put back into the RPi, all the other Kodi setup options can be done with the iPad via WiFi.

There are even NOOBS SD cards available for ultimate setup slackness:
https://www.modmypi.com/samsung-16gb-sd-...n-linux-os
(BTW this is a quality speedy Class 10 SD card, highly recommended !)

More convenient Kodi navigation is achieved by using a FLIRC IR dongle in combination with a XBox Media Centre 360 media remote or a Harmony 650 remote control.
Any old IR remote lying around the house can be reprogrammed to work with FLIRC as well.
They also make some quality cases if you want to splash out.

https://flirc.tv/

Smile

Thanks, but it am planning to only stream content from my usb hdd. Speaking of which, if I plug the usb hdd and pi into the same usb powered hub, will the pi be able to read it, nice and dandy?

Also, if I am planning to use my usb hdd do I need a memory card for the pi at all? Can I power the pi by just plugging it into the hub once/twice?

I only wanted to use the ipad as a remote, but I'm starting to think it's not worth the hassle, if I just wanna stream locally may as we'll just use the keyboard
I got a super cheap router, let's say it's the worse of the two kinds. Can it comfortably play YouTube, Netflix, twitch? Via wifi that is. Also thanks for the top about not needing a keyboard, may have saved me like £9
(2014-12-30, 17:28)Epi222 Wrote: Thanks, but it am planning to only stream content from my usb hdd. Speaking of which, if I plug the usb hdd and pi into the same usb powered hub, will the pi be able to read it, nice and dandy?

Also, if I am planning to use my usb hdd do I need a memory card for the pi at all? Can I power the pi by just plugging it into the hub once/twice?

I only wanted to use the ipad as a remote, but I'm starting to think it's not worth the hassle, if I just wanna stream locally may as we'll just use the keyboard

Should be fine playing from USB disk. You still need an sdcard for booting.
You can probably power the Pi from the hub, but it depends a bit on how stable the voltage is, and if it limits the current.
If you have a B+ you'll get an obvious indication (a coloured square on screen) if the power supply is inadequate, so give it a try.

Also note that if your TV supports CEC you won't need a remote - they TV's remote can be used without any extra hardware.
If you doing it cheaply:
- get a RPI B (512MB)
- you do need a SD card to run Openelec / or RaspBMC etc on the RPi, get a cheap 8GB / 2014 one and image it yourself.
- yes you can use a USB HDD
- the RPi may run off the USB powered Hub if it can output enough power, if not you will need a separate power supply.
- same with the HDD if is a 2.5" one maybe. 3.5" HDD will need its own power supply.
- a 5V/2.0 Amp proper power supply will be needed to overclock the RPi reliably at Turbo speeds.
- a cheap single band WiFi USB dongle will work. Mine did for 1080p video until a nearby Microwave gets turned on.

RPi does not do Netflix at all, it never will either, dunno about Twitch. Youtube yes.

Amazon seems to have a kit called the basic starter kit, the sd card has NOOB preloaded on it.

There is also something called the complete starter kit. The sd card has noob pre installed but then there's a bunch of program's in brackets afterwards. Should I assume that they are actually both the same? Sorry, can't get my tablet to copy the link. Does this mean I can just slap in the sd card and begin my merrying?

I guess pi doesn't have Netflix because it's too slippery for Netflix to handle
Yes this Kit would be all you need, all the required parts are there:
$59.99 CanaKit

Make sure you get the proper 5V/2.5 Amp power supply, or you WILL have issues, the $49.99 Kit has the poor 1Amp one.
Be carefull in what you choose.

These Kits are plug and play, with the NOODS SD card. You power on and Choose which OS you would like. Openelec, RaspBMC, Rasbian etc.
I recommend Openelec for a NOOB as its easier to get going, without so many confusing config options.

In that price range the Amazon FireTV becomes a very good option when its discounted at $79.

Thanks for all the help bro it's been invaluable. I reli would have had no idea wot to do without it.

I need to make sure though. Do I reli not need a keyboard or mouse at all? I can just plug it unto the Ethernet and control it with an ipad? Do I not need to first load up xbmc from the start screen?
Happy New year Smile
It been a while since I set mine up, but you need a wired keyboard on first boot with the NOOBS card to select an OS.
Select Openelec, and configure Kodi by turning the Webserver ON (uses your local network), and then you use the XBMC / iPad app from that point onwards.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Webserver

Guides here:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/help/quick-start-guide/
http://www.raspberrypi.org/help/noobs-setup/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No thrills, just 10bit 1080p anime with A*A*S subs0