• 8(current)
Kodi v14.1 testing (ended)
Installed the Jan 26th x86 version last night and it works well so far. Thanks for all your work
(2015-01-29, 17:06)Wilberry Wrote: Installed the Jan 26th x86 version last night and it works well so far. Thanks for all your work
Did you add any advanced settings or tweak anything specifically or just run it as is and everything's great?
Thanks for the reminder, I do have an advancesetting file but forgot to add it. I streamed a couple of TV shows and ran a few add-ons and everything worked well, so not in depth testing.
(2015-01-29, 18:51)Wilberry Wrote: Thanks for the reminder, I do have an advancesetting file but forgot to add it. I streamed a couple of TV shows and ran a few add-ons and everything worked well, so not in depth testing.
No problem, the reason I ask is.... are these testing builds meant to fix the problems with cache and buffering?

Are they built with the Nexus player specifically in mind?
Will these advanced settings not be necessary at some point?
Or is this build for the X86 processor in general?
From the commits in the first post no, just general fixes of various items.

The x86 version is Android with Intel x86 , which I believe primarily supports the Nexus Player although there are some other x86 devices out there.

I don't think the advanced settings are going anywhere soon and if you have buffering issues, you should use it. You also need to confirm it is not your source or bandwidth to the device that is the issue. I have read some other post where libstagefright and/or mediacodec (under system settings video/acceleration I think) is turned off, from what I have read libstagefright was only need in an earlier version of Android so this can be turned off and leave mediacodec on.

I run wifi ac on the nexus player and get about 60 Mbits download which handles most streams nicely.
I got the plugable Ethernet to USB adapter and get 100 megabits per second from the test that I did the other day.
Are you having buffering issues with that kind of bandwidth
(2015-01-29, 21:57)Wilberry Wrote: Are you having buffering issues with that kind of bandwidth
It's really hard to say because I had my advanced settings all jacked around. I have yet to install the latest version after a fresh install
sorry, i haven't checked the forum, in a while. most likely the buffering/caching issue is propbably just a general kodi help topic. i don't believe any of my buffering / caching issues were related to the testing of 14.1 and is a separate self inflicted issue based on a lack of know how that happened to coincide with the release of 14.0. most likely any crashes after 14.0 and prior to 14.1 jan.12 were unrelated bugs.

also to try and help out from what i understand now @Wilberry.@tvrbone.

1) it is not recommended to cache video data to your sdcard, therefor <cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize> should be avoided for long periods of time and is really for testing purposes....who knows, its what "they" say based on writes to the card...others say its non issue and the card will be fine.
2) my unique circumstance was related to a lack of storage on my sdcard whereas i had only 1.4 gb's of space avail. and when writing to sdcard there isnt a dump feature hence when the space is full it will eventually stop during playback. if you have enough space to play the file by all means you may have no issues with the write to local disk setting. <cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>

as far as the advancedsettings.xml Ive read the wiki page a dozen times and there's not much to be messed with and i would really just leave it alone.

i have a couple meaningless lines in my xml sure but whatever my advice would be just let kodi deal with everything and maybe change 4 things.

best advice for you is this. it works so well its boring.

<advancedsettings>
<network>
<cachemembuffersize>157286400</cachemembuffersize>
<readbufferfactor>20</readbufferfactor>
</network>
<gui>
<algorithmdirtyregions>3</algorithmdirtyregions>
<nofliptimeout>0</nofliptimeout>
</gui>
</advancedsettings>

cheers, hope this helped..
Would it be possible to test this on Linux?
(2015-01-30, 10:37)zoolander Wrote: sorry, i haven't checked the forum, in a while. most likely the buffering/caching issue is propbably just a general kodi help topic. i don't believe any of my buffering / caching issues were related to the testing of 14.1 and is a separate self inflicted issue based on a lack of know how that happened to coincide with the release of 14.0. most likely any crashes after 14.0 and prior to 14.1 jan.12 were unrelated bugs.

also to try and help out from what i understand now @Wilberry.@tvrbone.

1) it is not recommended to cache video data to your sdcard, therefor <cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize> should be avoided for long periods of time and is really for testing purposes....who knows, its what "they" say based on writes to the card...others say its non issue and the card will be fine.
2) my unique circumstance was related to a lack of storage on my sdcard whereas i had only 1.4 gb's of space avail. and when writing to sdcard there isnt a dump feature hence when the space is full it will eventually stop during playback. if you have enough space to play the file by all means you may have no issues with the write to local disk setting. <cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>

as far as the advancedsettings.xml Ive read the wiki page a dozen times and there's not much to be messed with and i would really just leave it alone.

i have a couple meaningless lines in my xml sure but whatever my advice would be just let kodi deal with everything and maybe change 4 things.

best advice for you is this. it works so well its boring.

<advancedsettings>
<network>
<cachemembuffersize>157286400</cachemembuffersize>
<readbufferfactor>20</readbufferfactor>
</network>
<gui>
</gui>
</advancedsettings>

cheers, hope this helped..

Thanks for the advice, My only issue with assigning a memory size for the cachemembuffer setting is that after loading Kodi my nexus player has about 300MB of memory left. Your setting would need 450MB @ 3X if I understand correctly. Also the Nexus Player doesn't have a standard SD card, but rather flash memory which is very fast and shouldn't "wear out" per se, and since I have about 4.5GB free I use it for caching.

Do you have any advice on video acceleration, or just leave it alone. Overall the performance of the Nexus Player and my Wifi AC has been very good, just looking to confirm what the optimal settings are.

Thanks again for your input, its appreciated.
Is there an option to say mount external storage as internal storage like with some ROMs that swap small internal storage for external sd card storage
Basically cache to USB flash drive?
(2015-01-30, 10:37)zoolander Wrote: <gui>
</gui>
These are both the default so redundant in your advancedsettings.xml file. Sometimes it makes one feel better explicitly putting these in there but they are not needed as it stands.
Maybe it's too late or maybe it's skin and not Helix 14.1 releated but smart playlists and movie sets have a strange behaviour now :

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1909331
Sorry for my english, but, you know, I'm French so ...

Main HTPC : Odroid-C2 running CoreELEC with Titan Bingie
Secondary HTPC : Freebox Mini 4K running Android TV with Titan Bingie
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi v14.1 testing (ended)2