Failed Recordings after Overnight Idle
Yes, it'll automatically send to that specific directory.
Thanks. We will try that in the morning.

In the meantime, however, I had a different failure. This afternoon, one half hour after finishing another recording on the same channel, I had a recording fail with the error message in NextPVR "Device failed to start." I don't know if that is progress or not. The relevant portion of the Ndigitalhost file is here:
http://pastebin.com/MZTA3j6U

db

Oops, ignore that last one. Windows Media Center had grabbed my tuner. I thought I had deleted all scheduled recordings from WMC, but I guess I did not!

db
Quote:Oops, ignore that last one. Windows Media Center had grabbed my tuner
Yep, that was going to be my first guess. It's usually a case of another app using the tuner if it fails to start.
OK, another morning, another failed recording with zero bytes...and a 173 megabyte text file in C:temp.

Um, what would you like me to do with that? I assume that is too big for pastebin, and I have not been able to open it yet, having only Notepad and Wordpad on this laptop. Those files are pretty big for those. Is there some portion I should extract?
Basically you want to look in that file, and see if it has messages about receiving data between the times the failed recording occurred.
That log file had almost 9.4 million lines. As best I can tell, it repeats itself every .024 seconds. Here is a link to a small section (from the middle) of the log file that has a complete cycle, plus a line or two of padding above and below:
http://pastebin.com/Ny7Qht72
In there, there is a line that may indicate data are being received:
"07:11:15.457 2015-01-04 07:11:15.457 58656 bytes received"

Again, with a file that large, it could be that there is more in there that I didn't notice, but it appears to be the same thing, even at the beginning and ending of the file. If there are other words I could search for, I can do that, in case there is a part where the file does not repeat that I did not see.

I do have a log file from a working recording, if that is helpful. It still has the 58656 bytes received, but is quite a bit smaller file, and it breaks out of that loop of describing something as encrypted after about five seconds.
Assuming that's the tuner that has had the problem recording, and it's during the period when the failed recording should have occurred, then it sounds like it's receiving data.

You could try removing that registry setting, and instead setting RecordFullTS=1 (DWORD), and it'll dump all data received from the tuner into c:\temp\full.ts. You'd then be able to play it, and see if it's the show you wanted to record. This generates monster size files though, so you'd probably want to try it with a short-ish recording. ie 10 minutes or less.

Might also be worth setting LogTSWriter=1 (DWORD), and it'll create a c:\temp\writer.txt, with detailed information about data relevant to that recording.
I did a manual recording this morning, so it was only ten minutes instead of a full half hour. A .ts file (108 megabytes) was generated, but I do not seem able to open it. I have another .ts file (from live tv the night before), and double-clicking immediately opens it in Windows Media Player, and it plays fine. Your suggestion above also generated a text file called writer-3.txt, which is here: http://pastebin.com/uBdusLLb

I notice that the writer-3.txt file was last modified at 7:12 am, but the last entry is 06:58 am. The recording was scheduled from 7:00 to 7:11 am.
Ndigitalhost file is here: http://pastebin.com/Yv7hP9JE
Can you put that 108mb file somewhere like dropbox, so I could download it to take a look?

That file should contain every bit of data sent by the device. 108mb is way too small for 10 minutes. It should be more like 2GB+. That info, and looking at that writer-3.txt make me think the device has deliver some small about of broken data, but that's it.
I haven't used dropbox, but I think Google Drive can make a link that I can post. I don't use that service much either, but I should be able to do that this evening.
This link should go to the .ts file from the failed recording from this morning.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2kuyEk...sp=sharing
Yep, that file appears to be garbage, with no real signs of channel data. This full.ts is raw untouched data that is being delivered by the device.

Unfortunately I'm at a loss to explain why you're having this problem, and not really sure what to suggest as a next step.
That's too bad, but thanks for all your efforts.

I still have some things to try. I scheduled a task to open NextPVR a minute before the scheduled recording, but that didn't work. Tomorrow I will try opening XBMC instead, to see if that helps at all. I may also try again with that other tuner I have (the Aver), since I am not convinced that was working properly before.
Hello again, I'm back, still trying to deal with tuners that won't record if they have been idle too long.

I've been experimenting, and have had some success with windows media player, where I have scheduled a task to start playing live tv a minute or two before a scheduled recording. That seems to "warm up" the tuners so that they are ready when the recording starts. I would like to do the same with Kodi/NextPVR, if possible. Note, however, that just launching WMC does not work, I have to launch it into live TV.

So, my question: Is there a command line option for Kodi/XBMC to open in Live TV, rather than the homescreen? I tried just launching, without luck. This is definitely a workaround rather than a solution, but it may work for regularly scheduled recordings.

Thanks.
I have the same issue as you with a single Hauppauge 950Q tuner. It will go a couple of days without any problems, updating the EPG and recording shows fine, but eventually the device is just stuck as busy and nothing can use it. Logs don't really show any error messages indicating some critical failure at any point of time. It requires me to uplug and replug the tuner to get anything to work. Even Hauppauge's own app, WinTV 7, won't work giving a "No tuners available" error.

Interestingly enough, rebooting the machine doesn't solve the problem. It seems like the device itself is experiencing an issue and locking up, and doesn't get reset until the device loses all power.

I seem to recall this device working fine a couple of months ago. It seems like this issue started this last month.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Failed Recordings after Overnight Idle0