can streaming from KODI be tracked?
hi guys, first time poster, so please bear with me. i've been using KODI for awhile now and never had any problems so i've never been on here before, currently using it on a new HTPC, Ouya, and an XIOS DS (Linux) with no problems, i love it, and thank you. my question is, as of Jan. 2nd, new copyright legislation came into effect in Canada http://torrentfreak.com/canadian-isps-vp...rs-150102/ , and i was wondering if streaming from KODI can be tracked, i'm under the impression it can't be, i know for torrenting it can via your IP showing in the swarm, but don't think it can via KODI 'cause i'm not downloading or seeding. if worst comes to worst i can use a VPN with it, but i fear it may cause lag/buffering. thanks for any help/replies.
If you're KODI client is using some add-on to connect to a pirated steam, then yes, your ISP could easily see the connection between your internet connection and the host of pirated streams. If your ISP was so legally compelled, it could inform you or copyright holders of this action.

From a purely technical standpoint, your ISP could readily see whatever in the hell you're doing, so long as it's not encrypted or otherwise obfuscated.
ANYTHING that is asked from and received by your internet connection can be tracked down, be saved and analyzed later, at least by your provider or the server you are f.e. streaming from, at any time. No matter whether it's your browser or Kodi, makes no difference.
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
thanks for the quick reply guys. of course this is a question in theory only, i'm not condoning piracy, but from what i understand, this is a concern of copyright holders only, not the ISP's, the ISP's couldn't care less what you download or stream unless they get a complaint from the copyright holder, so i guess what i'm asking is, is there a way the copyright holder could see or find out your IP address from, say (in theory) an add-on?
(2015-01-05, 18:17)townie2 Wrote: thanks for the quick reply guys. of course this is a question in theory only, i'm not condoning piracy, but from what i understand, this is a concern of copyright holders only, not the ISP's, the ISP's couldn't care less what you download or stream unless they get a complaint from the copyright holder, so i guess what i'm asking is, is there a way the copyright holder could see or find out your IP address from, say (in theory) an add-on?

Again, from a technical standpoint, YES.

Should some sort of legal thing happen (Let's not argue about law) and the copyright holder got something to legally compel your ISP or the pirated steaming service to release all logs of which customers or clients were connected to the pirated streaming service.

Simply put: If you did something on the internet, there's almost certainly a log of it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
can streaming from KODI be tracked?0