• 39(current)
Intel NUC - Broadwell (5th Generation CPU)
That's what today is better to decode? Linux or Windows?
Linux by far, its what all our developers use

Openelec is the best choice as it has all the latest stuff
And Android / Windows is by far the most our users use :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-11-16, 10:45)zag Wrote: Linux by far, its what all our developers use

Linux yes, but very often producers of hardware, drivers seem very late or not at all. I think about Linux or Mac. Under Windows, very often the drivers are the most current. I could be wrong.

(2015-11-16, 10:45)zag Wrote: Openelec is the best choice as it has all the latest stuff

OpenElec allows me to install additional software?

My settings are probably incorrect?
GPU: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.6, 256 bits)
OpenGL vendor: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL version: 3.0 Mesa 11.0.2
GPU temperature: ?
lol. start from scratch .... you even have wrong drivers :-(
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I make every step one by one from: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955

EDIT:
now I start from scratch....
(2015-11-16, 10:45)zag Wrote: Linux by far, its what all our developers use

Openelec is the best choice as it has all the latest stuff

In general yes, but specifically Broadwell? HEVC Hybrid is a no go with Linux.....for folks who care.
HEVC content that will be shipped with new DVB-S / UHD Bluray will be 10 bit 4k ... not playable on a any intel chip released today - so hevc is wayne on intel these days. 8 bit content is not really existent.
(2015-11-16, 21:07)fritsch Wrote: HEVC content that will be shipped with new DVB-S / UHD Bluray will be 10 bit 4k ... not playable on a any intel chip released today - so hevc is wayne on intel these days. 8 bit content is not really existent.

Skylake will introduce HEVC decode acceleration in hardware.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
8 bit only ... so don't spread bullshit. It has the very same hw decoder that Braswell has ...

Edit: You don't want to buy Skylake for hevc 10 bit - you want to wait for Kabylake
Is there something principal that stops from implementing hevc decode using GPU compute?
No drivers for linux. For windows it works ™ - but it is awesome slow ... not usable for 4k content at all ... there are some benchmarks on doom9 forum. If the use case of buying such a nuc is HEVC-10 bit - then don't waste your money.

An example from VP9:
After google delivers VP9 with the browser by default, 4k content stopped working immediately for nearly all intel machines ... while h264 was fine (as decoded in silicon).

Quote:In summary, our experiments suggest that 4Kp60 HEVC decoding with hybrid acceleration might not be a great idea for Intel GPUs at least. However, movies should be fine given that they are almost always at 24 fps. That said, it would be best if consumers allow software / drivers to mature and wait for full hardware acceleration to become available in low-power HTPC platforms.
via: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9152/futur...p-and-hevc

And here the doom9 link: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1694697 it seems they did not test Braswell / SKL which both have a hevc 8 bit hw decoding unit.
Let me clarify: my question wasn't specific to intel gpus, but gpus in general.
It's most likely time and when you see that intel with his thousands of programmers just gets a not really usable result, e.g. imagine that CPU decoding with an i7 8 threads might work for 4k 30 p 10 bit - but they hybrid approach will not ... I think it's just no interest ...

And also - all future generations will have dedicated silicon on board to do it. GTX950 or later and the generation after Skylake.
Intel is saying Skylake will do HEVC decode acceleration. I don't know if it is 8 or 10 bit, all I know is whatever it is, the cable companies are fine with it
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
  • 39(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Broadwell (5th Generation CPU)6