WOL backend when actually using Live TV as opposed to when Kodi starts?
I absolutely love Kodi, but one thing I'm completely mystified by is its handling of communicating with the PVR backend. It appears to have been designed to assume that the PVR backend is an "always on" computer, which is rather rigid and silly assumption IMHO.

I love that ServerWMC has the ability to send a WOL packet to the PVR backend, but that is always done when Kodi is launched. The problem with this is that 80%-90% of the time I launch Kodi, I'm doing something other than watch live TV. I'm using it to launch a streaming service like Netflix or HBO Go, watch a movie local to that client, or play an emulated video game. So every time I simply intend to watch something on Netflix, the PVR backend PC is unnecessarily woken up putting unneeded wear and tear on the 4 hard drives I have in it and wasting energy, something I'd rather avoid.

So with that said, does the PVR plugin (such as ServerWMC) have control over when Kodi attempts to communicate with the PVR backend, meaning there's a possibility it could be changed to the more logical time of when Live TV is entered as opposed to when Kodi starts up? Or is ServerWMC forced to do so when Kodi starts due to the way its currently implemented? Thanks for the help
Forgot to mention one other thing. Another side effect of the current implementation, is that if I want to actually watch Live TV after watching a 2 hour movie, the PVR backend has since gone back to sleep and I won't be able to access it (since the PVR backend is being woken up when Kodi starts, as opposed to when Live TV is actually entered).
Scarecrow wrote the wol code, so he will correct me if I get it wrong... We send the wol signal only if the addon fails when it tries to communicate with the backend. When kodi starts, it tries to extract info from the pvr addon. so we automatically start sending a wol if the backend isn't there. We are at the mercy of kodi here.

In your second post, I don't think that should be happening if wol is enabled. If the backend is down, the wol packet should be getting sent to wake it up when you try to do anything with the pvr. I know we used to get this complaint when we didn't have wol capability. Are you sure about this one?
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
Got it. You're probably right about the second point. It's just a shame that Kodi insists on downloading EPG data every time it starts even though 90% of my usage is to do something other than watch Live TV. And as I mentioned this just needlessly wakes up my PVR backend, spins up the hard disks, and wastes electricity.

There is a nice addon called Advanced Wake On LAN that allows me to send a WOL packet when you click on a home screen launcher using something like

Code:
RunScript("script.advanced.wol",ActivateWindow(MyPVR),True)

While that does wake up the PVR backend whenever I enter Live TV (which is what I'm after, as opposed to every time I start Kodi) it doesn't refresh the EPG. I end up having to reset the EPG database in settings to force Kodi to fetch the EPG data. Out of curiosity, can I script that as well (i.e. having Kodi fetch the EPG data)? That way I'd have a viable workaround to this problem. Thanks.
(2015-01-19, 05:51)onlinespending Wrote: While that does wake up the PVR backend whenever I enter Live TV (which is what I'm after, as opposed to every time I start Kodi) it doesn't refresh the EPG. I end up having to reset the EPG database in settings to force Kodi to fetch the EPG data. Out of curiosity, can I script that as well (i.e. having Kodi fetch the EPG data)? That way I'd have a viable workaround to this problem. Thanks.

I'd be interested in that as well since I have one system where I leave Kodi running and just put it into sleep mode. When it wakes up it will also wake up the server system, but no EPG update.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WOL backend when actually using Live TV as opposed to when Kodi starts?0