AFTV SPMC 13.3.3 and Surround Sound over HDMI
Hey all, I've seen this asked before but not really ever answered.

I have my AFTV set to "Dolby Digital Plus Automatic" and I am getting DD audio all the way to my sound bar that supports it from Netflix, Amazon Video, etc. However, I get no DD, or odd "choppy" sounds, from SPMC when I try to play any video with 5.1 audio. This is a mix of AAC, DD, etc.

Setup is:

AFTV <-> HDMI <-> TV <-> S/PDIF (coax) <-> sound bar

I get a nice little Dolby Digital emblem that glows when it is receiving DD audio.

I've tried nearly all the settings on SPMC but I can't seem to get the right combination to support getting the best audio out of my files. What am I doing wrong?

thanks!
(2015-01-19, 15:12)tchiarella Wrote: Hey all, I've seen this asked before but not really ever answered.

I have my AFTV set to "Dolby Digital Plus Automatic" and I am getting DD audio all the way to my sound bar that supports it from Netflix, Amazon Video, etc. However, I get no DD, or odd "choppy" sounds, from SPMC when I try to play any video with 5.1 audio. This is a mix of AAC, DD, etc.

Setup is:

AFTV <-> HDMI <-> TV <-> S/PDIF (coax) <-> sound bar

I get a nice little Dolby Digital emblem that glows when it is receiving DD audio.

I've tried nearly all the settings on SPMC but I can't seem to get the right combination to support getting the best audio out of my files. What am I doing wrong?

thanks!

Have you tried S/PDIF direct to sound bar?

Also, what TV is it? Depending on the brand, DTS will not pass through the TV. Are any of your videos using DTS audio?
Thanks for the response

I have not tried directly connecting to the sound bar, but that would help isolate the issue so I will try that.

The TV is an off brand (Haier) so I wouldn't be surprised if it is the bottleneck, however I get Dolby audio just fine with this setup from Netflix and Amazon video. Usually they are tagged as Dolby 5.1 but I would be lying if I said I knew what the stream was. Also I only can get that sound if I put the aftv into Dolby "auto" mode and if I put it to Dolby over HDMI I get no sound from those streams.

I also get Dolby audio OTA from my antenna on local channels (abc, fox, etc) so literally the only thing that I don't get Dolby from is SPMC.

I'll have to check the detailed info from the files. I don't know if they are DTS off hand. I tried a few different vids yesterday and some were AC3 5.1 while others were marked as Dolby digital 2.0 and 5.1.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AFTV SPMC 13.3.3 and Surround Sound over HDMI0