Any difference from clean and scan vs scan and clean when moving sources?
As above really Smile

I'm going to move a drive, therefore all my media will be missing from xbmc.
When doing this, should I add the new drive and scan the media back in (different location and structure etc) or do I clean the library and then re add the media?

Upshot:
Relocating some files from "A:\Movies" to B:\blah\movies"

The media is the same media, it's just moving location. Is there a nice way to do this for xbmc? Do I clean first and re add, or re add and clean second?

Does it even make a difference?
I'm hoping that xbmc will notice the movies are the same and just point the files to the new location.
Whenever I move media to a different drive, I always clean first, then scan for new content. Have never had a problem doing it this way.

When adding new drives (which I've moved media too), I still clean first, then add the Source, then Scan for new content.

Hope this helps...
Might be worth backing up your library to the individual media folders first. Will make rescan lot quicker.
I forget exactly what the setting is called but it's under video settings I think.

Plus I reckon remove source, then clean, attach 'new' source, scan.

I'm pretty sure scanning before cleaning made a mess of it for me at some point in past. And had to remove sources again and clean to sort it.
Cool!

Thanks guys. I'm current,y moving the files now to there new locations. Will then clean the library, then scan for new. I did export the library prior to moving it as you say Smile

The reason I ask, is I'm sure last time I did this all hell broke loose and my DB was borked. My only real issue now is that some files are moving to a different (but pre existing location). But hopefully that won't matter too much.

Basically folder location - "A:\Movies A-B" Is getting the "C" folder added to it from "B:\Movies C-D" so it will now be "A:\Movies A-C" so shall I just move the files (cut and paste to new location) then clean, then re scan... Or cut and paste... Scan and then clean?

I think you guys confirmed clean and then scan is the best option, so I'll stick with that if it's the best way to go Smile

Thanks for the input Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any difference from clean and scan vs scan and clean when moving sources?0