Fire TV vs Fire Stick?
If all of your streaming apps are available on the FTV (most of the popular ones are), then it should serve your needs. Just be aware that the FTV stick uses wifi only, not an Ethernet connection, if that is what you meant by 'wired'. The non-stick FTV has wired connection.

You may find that KODI performance is not quite as snappy on the FTV stick as your laptop. The non-stick FTV performs a bit better for both KODI and streaming apps, and you can plug in a USB drive if the occasional need arises.
I have both and if I were to add another I would go with the FTV box. The stick can be pretty slow sometimes and I don't tolerate slowness.
About 6 months ago buddy at work started talking about this "hacked" firestick his buddy would sell for $100 that had all this cool stuff to watch.

A quick Google search and I discovered kodi and all its greatness! He paid the $100. I bought a stick for $40 and side loaded myself.

My household fell in love with kodi, but as time passed the stick proved to be quirky and slow. At times it runs pretty smooth, but others the buffering and choppy playback makes you want to smash your tv.

I can't speak to the fire tv, but the stick just doesn't quite have the hardware to be consistent and reliable. With the stick I cannot fast forward without locking up. I installed kodi on my desktop and compared same content and source the stick was struggling with, and had no problems. I was able to fast forward through half the video and hit play with no trouble. Streaming local content is definitely more reliable than addons with the stick, but still hesitates sometimes. We cut the cord and have no cable subscription, so we're heavy users.

I'm in the process of building an htpc, just because I like the idea computing from the couch. I am considering the fire tv as a cheap reliable alternative to the stick for friends and family.

Can anyone confirm the ability to fast forward and the reliability on the fire tv?

I tested my 5ghz wireless speed with my phone in the same room as the stick is installed and have 55+ down, so my wifi connection isn't the issue.
Ive been using the fire stick for some time now. I wasnt sure about switching to the fireTV but finally decided to go for it. I have to say that I dont regret I did. Everything seems to run faster and I was able to connect my Bluetooth Bose headphones and my Bluetooth keyboard what makes it a lot easier to work with Kodi instead of using the small remote control.
(2016-01-28, 03:05)latinotter Wrote: Ive been using the fire stick for some time now. I wasnt sure about switching to the fireTV but finally decided to go for it. I have to say that I dont regret I did. Everything seems to run faster and I was able to connect my Bluetooth Bose headphones and my Bluetooth keyboard what makes it a lot easier to work with Kodi instead of using the small remote control.

latinotter, did you have any buffering issues with the fire stick that the fire tv resolved?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fire TV vs Fire Stick?0