UPnP standardization for artwork
This is just my 2 cents from my point of view. I have a server for file storage and I was using mysql but I gave up and just have separate libraries on each client. If UPNP get integrated into the library rather than including all the information and images in the UPNP items just include the dynamic details like file info, watched status, resume position, and the tvdb or imdb id. And of course any information that is part of the UPNP standard.

In either situation I think it would be best to store images and data in the local database so theres not an excessive network overhead. I know there a cache but I am really thinking speed. And maybe the option to explore the library without the server active.
(2015-03-01, 16:28)jknight2014 Wrote: In either situation I think it would be best to store images and data in the local database so theres not an excessive network overhead. I know there a cache but I am really thinking speed. And maybe the option to explore the library without the server active.

Will there really be a speed difference once including artwork? I would have anticipated that the cache indeed solves for this. Basically similar how current mysql implementation works? What is different today is that mysql works as local library, but UPNP does not yet? You are indeed right that the server would need to be active, but thos excited about UPNP would not care about this. We actually use UPNP because we have several Kodi- and non-Kodi clients and we can access the UPNP server. There are so many devices today that support UPNP, so I really believe that this is what the future will even more bring!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UPnP standardization for artwork1