Pause a live RTSP stream
I think it is a little sad that i can pause a LIVE stream on my ROKU for like 15 minutes without incident, but i cannot pause a live stream on KODI for more than about 5 seconds.

When i pause a live stream on KODI, when i resume the pause, after a few seconds, it jumps forward.

It would be nice if i could pause long enough to go take a leak. Why can't KODI continue to stream it into the buffer, and use up the buffer space. It doesn't appear to do that at all.

I ended up re-hooking up my ROKU so i could pause my live streams.
This is something I've wondered for a while, but didn't bother posting because there's a lot of 'go code it yourself' responses going around when requests are made.

That aside, this IS kinda tough. There would have to be some change to the scrub bar (does the timeline even WORK as a scrub bar? I haven't used RW/FF during Live TV to know), to visually show this, and of course, some kind of limit to how long you can pause. This also would lead into recording, if all this was implemented. That's _a lot_ of work, the scrub bar alone is.
.... i thought that was the whole big deal with RTSP --
"RTSP, which also delivers real-time streaming, allows you to control playback using these types of controls. You can even advance to the end of a video without downloading the entire file"

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_12229684_rtmp-vs-rtsp.html
Linux Mint 18 LTS 64-bit - Kodi 17 Beta6
Odroid-C2 - Libreelec v7.90.009
(2015-01-27, 05:23)locomot1f Wrote: .... i thought that was the whole big deal with RTSP --
[i]"RTSP, which also delivers real-time streaming, allows you to control playback using these types of controls. You can even advance to the end of a video without downloading the entire file"

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_12229684_rtmp-vs-rtsp.html[\i]

That's what I am saying. Mostly, none of the elements of the equation to enable this functionality is there. They might be for other things (Live TV), but to implement it here, would take a lot of work. And actually, the 'proper' way (to change the core video playback to PVR all video streams, RTSP or not) is even more work than that. Shame too, this needs doing, but who will take the challenge? And if that wasn't enough, even if someone did, this is a big enough change that more of Kodi's cooks would have to be involved in it, who don't even have enough time to dedicate to what they are working on.
(2015-01-27, 05:23)locomot1f Wrote: .... i thought that was the whole big deal with RTSP --
"RTSP, which also delivers real-time streaming, allows you to control playback using these types of controls. You can even advance to the end of a video without downloading the entire file"

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_12229684_rtmp-vs-rtsp.html

not for live streams. You simply cannot jump ahead in a live stream. Pausing and reversing needs buffering, like rd1979 said already.
So, i take it from what I'm hearing, KODI honestly just plays the stream its receiving via UDP/TCP. No buffering at all... Being IPTV is the upcoming trend and isn't going to change direction, it would seem to me that this would be stamped as something very important. At minimum, couldn't it be modified to write the incoming stream to memory and play the stream from memory. If the user pauses the video, it continues to pull the stream into memory. ROKU must be doing this as I have paused for many bathroom breaks and continued the playback without incident. ROKU has no memory stick or HD, so it is doing this just with it's internal memory.
roku is also a a completely different piece of hardware with a different OS. you pay for a roku, kodi is free.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2015-01-27, 20:37)bry- Wrote: roku is also a a completely different piece of hardware with a different OS. you pay for a roku, kodi is free.

And your point isHuh You know most of the time, i find the free open source stuff is better than the pay stuff, so, i don't really see the point of your message. So, because its free, we cannot strive to always improve it??

I believe the name of the thread is called 'Feature Suggestions'.
there is buffering, and pausing/seeking works on non live streams. At least on rtmp last time I looked into it.
you can have this already via PVR. configure a backend like vdr/vnsi to handle IPTV and enjoy timeshift. with vnsi you can configure RAM or DISK for buffering the stream.
(2015-01-27, 23:51)FernetMenta Wrote: you can have this already via PVR. configure a backend like vdr/vnsi to handle IPTV and enjoy timeshift. with vnsi you can configure RAM or DISK for buffering the stream.

I can do this with live internet streams? Okay, is there a configuration setup for this? I am happy to hear this.....
oops, sorry. I did not read this properly. AFAIK there are currently no backends which can handle RTSP
:-(

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pause a live RTSP stream0