Playing sound through both TV and AVR
Hi,

I am running kodi 14 on windows 7. The PC has two audio device. One is HDMI to TV and another one is SPDIF to AVR which supports Dolby Digital and DTS. In the audio section I have enabled Directsound HDMI as my primary device and SPDIF as passthrough. MY issue is that of the media has analog sound, I get audio only through TV and when it is AC3 or DTS, I get audio only through AVR. Is there a way to get the audio through both? i.e. encode analog to AC3 for SPDIF output or decode AC3/DTS for HDMI and passthrough for SPDIF at the same time?

Thanks in advance..
Kodi doesn't currently allow simultaneous dual audio output. There use to be a "dual audio" patch version available put out by a community member, if I recall correctly. But I don't know if that has been updated for Kodi. Maybe do a forum search for "dual audio".

Otherwise, I think your best option would be to set your primary device as your SPDIF output (presumably your AVR doesn't have HDMI inputs). This does mean that all sound will come out of the AVR. Hopefully someone will correct me here if I've missed something.

I'm sure you'll get someone else other than me asking why you would want audio from the TV and the AVR at the same time? And why aren't you using WASAPI, which is better than DirectSound?
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U
(2015-01-25, 19:13)Jogee Wrote: Kodi doesn't currently allow simultaneous dual audio output. There use to be a "dual audio" patch version available put out by a community member, if I recall correctly. But I don't know if that has been updated for Kodi. Maybe do a forum search for "dual audio".

Otherwise, I think your best option would be to set your primary device as your SPDIF output (presumably your AVR doesn't have HDMI inputs). This does mean that all sound will come out of the AVR. Hopefully someone will correct me here if I've missed something.

I'm sure you'll get someone else other than me asking why you would want audio from the TV and the AVR at the same time? And why aren't you using WASAPI, which is better than DirectSound?

I am really not looking for simultaneous audio. Normally I use my TV for viewing/listening programs, but when I am watching a movie or something, I want to be able to turn on my AVR and enjoy it through AVR (Yes there is no HDMI input in my AVR it is Harman Kardon AVR 525). To achieve this what I end up doing is to go to Settings->System->Audio->turn passthrough on. That turns off the audio through HDMI. As such I don't need audio from both, but don't want to have to go to settings every time to switch.

As for DirectSound vs WASAPI, I have no preference, and sorry, I don't really understand the difference and don't mind switching to WASAPI.

Thanks for your response...
Sorry. I thought I understood what you were trying to do. I guess I don't.

Do you want an easy way to switch output in Kodi from TV to AVR?
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U
(2015-02-01, 00:53)Jogee Wrote: Sorry. I thought I understood what you were trying to do. I guess I don't.

Do you want an easy way to switch output in Kodi from TV to AVR?

Actually, I didn't think of that, but that might work too. I use logitech harmon remote to switch between AVR and TV, if there was a key I could program in Logitech Harmony, that would work too.

Thanks
I click on audio options during video playback and toggle the "pass-through" option to select HDMI (to TV) or Optical (to older AVR).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playing sound through both TV and AVR0