How to install MySQL 5.6 (vs 5.1) for Kodi. What is "Standard configuration"?
According to the WiKi, we can use the latest MySQL 5.6 now. In the past it didn't work and we were forced to use older version.

http://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL/Setting_up_M...ab=Windows

I'm building a home theater system and I'd like to use the latest 5.6

The instructions say to Select "Standard configuration" but that's for 5.1
What is the correct option to choose in 5.6 for Windows?
Hopefully this is correct: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/windows/installer/

Can someone please help me get back on track? I got the older version working a year ago, but things don't match up the way I remember so far. Maybe the WiKi should be updated too after I/we learn.
Try server only. You don't need all the extras that the developer version will install.
Kodi 16.1 on main HTPC Win 7 64-bit, 8 GB RAM, Quad Core 2.4 Ghz
3 x Pi2 running Kodi 16.1 (OSMC)
TVHeadend PVR server providing Freeview HD and Freesat HD
(2015-01-28, 11:19)rlg6767 Wrote: Try server only. You don't need all the extras that the developer version will install.

I tried but it gave this error.

Any tips why I'm not able to do the install? (usually this is the easy part)
I ran into the same thing. You have to install it from the catalog.
(2015-01-31, 05:56)tbonekilla Wrote: I ran into the same thing. You have to install it from the catalog.

Thanks what does that mean exactly? I'll google it up.
Just looked at the mysql set up wiki which states you should select "server only" so i guess it has been changed since you last looked and took your snapshot.

But as Kodi is opensource software, why not use MariaDB which is an fork of MySQL?

From what i gather MariaDB is a plug in replacement for MySQL and is binary compatible version for version.
So, if MySQL install does not work for you, try installing MariaDB on windows.
Note that MariaDB v5.2 and later have windows installers and are fully compatible with the same version of MySQL up to MariaBD v5.5.
After v5.5, MariaDB jumped to version 10 and may not include all feature of MySQL - but who cares as from what i have read MariaDB is developing faster than MySQL so who cares...

Why not drop MySQL and try MariaDB version 5.2 to 5.5, or even the latest stable version and see how it works for you and Kodi?
Downloads can be found here.

As a disclaimer, i haven't built a kodi client/server platform as yet... i've still to get some hardware... so i'm not sure what problems you could run into using the latest and greates Kodi 14 with MariaDB 10...

I also have a vauge recollection that Kodi will be dumping the SQL database approach in future Huh
Hope this isn't the case...
I'm a XBMC novice :)
I'll do what ever works. Is MariaDB easier to export/import if you rebuild a computer too? MySQL was a pain and I gave up, plus ended up doing a fresh everything so no need to import the old database anymore. I'm starting fresh and happy to try something new.

If MariaDB works well they should recommend it on the Kodi SQL setup wiki if it's not already there. I'm not sure about being the first to try it though. Did you read anywhere that showed people had success with it & old XMBC new Kodi?)

Oh, if Kodi isn't going to work with SQL in the future not sure it's worth all the trouble at all then. Hopefully there is a built in method coming in the future that would be even better.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to install MySQL 5.6 (vs 5.1) for Kodi. What is "Standard configuration"?0