Please guide me in the right direction.
Hi guys, as you see, I'm new and I swear I don't want to post another"which box should I get", but please hear me out.
I am pretty new to the scene but I have done a fair bit of reading over the last few weeks, but haven't gotten any wiser.

The thing is, most people that are looking at Android boxes want all kinds of different features like great Wifi, GPU speed for gaming, etc etc... Well I'm not looking for that.
THE ONLY THING I want is a box that can stream 1080p video either from a livestream or from a server without ANY stuttering and with nice quality. That's it. (I know we can't talk about anything illegal in here, so I'll just leave it at that).

I DON'T need superfast WIFI (because i'll be running it wired), I don't need 4K, I don't need 17 USB ports, I'm not gonna play video games or do anything with it really, other than watch movies, shows and livestreams.

I know a lot of boxes claim they can stream HD video without any problems but real world reviews often say otherwise. That's why I'm asking YOU guys, who have experience in the real world.
I was looking at the Minix NEO X6 but have read it often has hiccups and buffering problems for 1080p video.

So please can you guys guide me in the right direnction? What chips should I be looking for? What specs? SPECIFICALLY for HD video and nothing else.

Kodi pre-installed is a bonus, preferably sub $100 but I'm open to all recommendations, thanks.

EDIT: Also, I am from Europe so please no US-only suggestions.
Welcome, now the grilling and important questions start ? Wink

Live broadcast TV important ?
De-Interlacing Important ?
mpeg2 is that important ?
Refresh rate switching so the TV refresh rate changes based on the video content when playback starts important ?
24p important ?
How about Audio ?
5.1 or HD Audio needed ?
Included Remote Control ?
Stable Firmware or is this a hobby media box, do you want to tinker ?

And finally NTSC or PAL TV land ?

Thanks for the quick response!

Live broadcast TV important ? YES.
De-Interlacing Important ? No.
mpeg2 is that important ? No.
Refresh rate switching so the TV refresh rate changes based on the video content when playback starts important ? If possible, yes. (But not a must)
24p important ? My TV does support it, although I have no idea on how important it is in video playback?
How about Audio ? See below
5.1 or HD Audio needed ? I don't have a surround system yet, but looking into it.So let's say: Audio quality is important, HD or 5.1 support is 'optional' depending on how much it influences the price.
Included Remote Control ? I'll need a remote but have no problem with buying one separately should that be necessary.
Stable Firmware or is this a hobby media box, do you want to tinker ? Preferably pretty stable, although I know this is a hard thing to find with these boxes. I have basic 'tinkering' knowledge but nothing crazy.

And finally NTSC or PAL TV land ? PAL.

Thanks.
PAL + deinterlacing + mpeg2 go together when talking Live Broadcast TV.

Stay away from nearly all Android boxes if you want good quality deinterlacing and refresh rate switching of video modes.
24p video will be a problem on most Android boxes.

Options:
1. A bargain and will do the job well if configured and overclocked properly with correct power supply = Raspberry Pi B+
2. New on the Scene and rising fast, great support with integrated PAL TV Tuner = Wetek Play
3. Creams the Opposition with video and audio quality, options and speed = Chromebox running Openelec
4. Chromebox internals with the ability to add internal HDD + optical out + Win 8.1 = Zotac BI320
5. HP Steam Mini also similar to the Chromebox work a look as well.

As your in Europe have a good long look at the Wetek Play !

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=213747

Smile

Thanks for the insight man!

Decided to go for the Raspberry Pi B+ to get my feet wet and because it has such great support. Plus I have nearly all of the accessories already at hand.
I only need the Pi, a case and a charger, which cost me around 45 euro's as opposed to the 110 euros for a wetek play.
I hope it does what I need it to do, and if not, it will definitely be a good learning experience Wink.

Thanks again for your help.
5V/2.0 Amps for the power suppply, and make sure the USB cord is not a cheap thin one, a power supply like this type of one.....

https://www.modmypi.com/5v-2A-modmypi-ra...wer-supply

BTW I run an Overclocked RPI B+ as my main setup, great bang for the buck with great Picture Quality.
Lots of tips here in this thread:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1890502

I don't want to open a new thread so I'm posting here:

My library (720p mkv Shows and 1080p mkv Movies) is on a Qnap NAS running mySQL.

I'm looking for a box for my bedroom TV which will be used only with Openelec

My needs:

DVB-T tuner and Live TV playback
Proper 24p playback and display rate switching
Ethernet port
HDMI-CEC
Compatibility with Logitech Harmony remote if it doesn't have a decent remote with backlight

I don't really care about the sound since everything will be played from the TV speakers

Should I go for a Wetek Play or look at something else at 150€ max?
The new RPi 2 Model B should now have the memory capacity and CPU grunt to run both a TV Server backend and a Kodi TV Client on the front end within Openelec 5.0. There is a TVHeadend addon you can use within Openelec for the backend server duties.
Buy a USB TV Tuner stick, MCE IR receiver and an External HDD and your set to go.

Wetek Play running Openelec will also do the job.

And the beez knees will be the Chromebox / Openelec of course. Smile

A integrated box that you can add a 2.5" HDD to internally and has the guts and same capabilities of a Chromebox is the bare bones Zotac BI320.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please guide me in the right direction.0