How about a "4:3 Expanded" view mode? ie. "16:9 Pan and Scan", or "14:9 Stretched"
So is the display driver xbmc unique, or, for example, do the directx driver related options defined in the mplayer docs apply?

And regarding this thread, can a config file control / override the 'default' aspect ratio handling? For example, the mplayer docs define a switch:
Quote: -aspect <ratio> (also see -zoom)
Override movie aspect ratio, in case aspect information is in-
correct or missing in the file being played.

EXAMPLE:
-aspect 4:3 or -aspect 1.3333
-aspect 16:9 or -aspect 1.7777

-noaspect
Disable automatic movie aspect ratio compensation.
(This is just before 'lavdopts' in the manual, which I DO know 'works')

Thanks again!
Try it Smile
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

A compromise could be to keep the 'old' 14:9 view mode as it was (with the black bars on the side), and then rename the 'new' view 16:9 mode to "16:9 Pan and Scan" as then is essentially what it does now, right?, part zoom and part stretch (and some cropping of top and bottom as part of the zoom) to completely fill a 16:9 display with 4:3 material?

...it would mean another view-mode option, something that will help some end-users, and confuse other end-users...
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
no scanning, nor any panning going on. so no that's certainly not precise
I agree with Gamester17 , problem is that i have 4:3 format tv and you all seem to have 16:9 format tv. The old 14:9 was great for me. Maybe we can achive some compromise

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How about a "4:3 Expanded" view mode? ie. "16:9 Pan and Scan", or "14:9 Stretched"0