I am looking for a device
Raspberry Pi 2 is a device. That's what you asked for, advice on cheap devices.
To get the price for 3 devices, you take the price of 1 and multiply by 3 Wink
I asked how you hook them up and how they work and you never answered that at all
You put an SD card inside, hook it up to power (it can run off of a USB port), and then plug in an HDMI cable. A lot of people don't even bother with a case, since it's so small and can easily just hang behind the TV. For controlling it you can use the built-in CEC support, if your TV supports that, use a USB dongle and various RF remotes, or even hook up a little IR receiver (less than $2) from the hardware store and then use any MCE remote.
Raspberry pi gets a edge over sticks due to having a physical LAN port . It really help things a lot.
Also personally I found Kodi to be more stable on Linux than on Android devices.
PS. Three of Rp2 will cost you 105$ plus cost of 3 SD cards and maybe a card reader if you don't have one already
RTFW
http://kodi.wiki/view/Devices
http://kodi.wiki/view/Raspberry_Pi_2
http://kodi.wiki/view/Raspberry_Pi
http://kodi.wiki/view/Amazon_Fire_TV_Stick
http://kodi.wiki/view/Amazon_Fire_TV

There is also a dedicated subforum about hardware with existing discussions on all those devices
http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112

(2015-02-05, 12:20)jaspreet Wrote: Raspberry pi gets a edge over sticks due to having a physical LAN port . It really help things a lot.
Also personally I found Kodi to be more stable on Linux than on Android devices.
PS. Three of Rp2 will cost you 105$ plus cost of 3 SD cards and maybe a card reader if you don't have one already

Well things have changed now he wants one Ouya like I have and I use Android on my Ouya and I have no problem with Kodi
www.raspberrypi.org - Raspberry Pi is a credit card sized computer, everything in it. Operating system is installed on a SD card. The luxury model is about $35. They used to have A and B models, A is the cheaper ($25), but it doesn't have so many USB-ports and no network port. I have the original B model and it runs xbmc quite ok. Then they made A+ and B+ with more power, more USB-ports and now the latest is Raspberry Pi 2 with even better specs than B+. That came out very recently. And the price remains the same, while the hardware gets better and better. Mine was Velcroe'd on the back of my TV with the IR-cable coming up on the top of the TV. Almost invisible. (Nowadays I have a miniPC for Kodi and the RPi is a baby cam.)

I think they scrapped the A model, because there is only one type of RPi 2 and it looks to be the B model line. So now it has quadcore and more ram. I had trouble running HD-video with the old B model running Frodo, but I think the new RPi2 should run it ok. At least the specs look like it can.

It has HDMI output as well. And it is easy to build an IR-receiver for it so you can use any old remote control for it. There's plenty of how to guides on Youtube. Or don't build an IR-receiver and just use Yatse or some other Kodi remote on your Android phone as remote control.

If he is looking for a cheap client and has all the media on a server, I would recommend Raspberry Pi 2 as well. OpenELEC just released a new version of their operating system that has the new Kodi 14.1 on it. Easy to install and they have easy to follow guides how to do it.

Of course there are other similar computers nowadays, like Odroid, but they don't have that much of community support.

3 PRi2 models would cost about $105 for the boards, and whatever you pay for a micro SD card for the operating system. Small 4GB card or whatever you find is enough. And operating systems with in built Kodi are free to download from the net. I guess he already has network cables to connect them to the network. You only need keyboard and mouse during the installation and after that just use remote controls (I use Yatse for Android). For the power he could get either standard micro-USB chargers for $5 a piece from Amazon or if the TV has USB-connectors you could try to plug the RPi2 to the TV with a USB-to-microUSB cable for the power.
There's no place like ~
(2015-02-05, 14:48)cooley76 Wrote: Well things have changed now he wants one Ouya like I have and I use Android on my Ouya and I have no problem with Kodi

Since Gotham introduced HW acceleration Android has been quite ok platform even for HD video. But I would still recommend a Linux-based system. I have several devices hooked up to the server and I have to say most problems are with Android devices. Especially during changes. Upgrading to Kodi was pain. Kept on quitting unexpectedly on two systems. So if anything changes, prepare that you may need to uninstall Kodi, delete the whole user prefs folder, reinstall, copy the XML files and let the device update on its own all the thumbnails etc which takes ages. And repeat this every time something goes wrong, simply deleting user prefs may not work. Only on Android devices I've had to do this drastic measures and I've had to repeat it. Linux side works like a charm.

...now I have 14.1 on other devices, except my Androids. Still contemplating if I should try to upgrade from 14.0. I think I won't. Upgrading Android is pain if anything goes wrong.
There's no place like ~
(2015-02-05, 14:48)cooley76 Wrote: Well things have changed now he wants one Ouya like I have and I use Android on my Ouya and I have no problem with Kodi
Amazon Fire TV and Google Nexus Player at about the same price are better hardware than Ouya for Kodi use.

Razor Forge TV will soon be released too and will have even better hardware it gaming is a key requirement.
Well, if you can get a used OUYA for a cheap price, maybe used (at least below $50) then it might not be a horrible deal. It still works quite well as a Kodi device, even if there are better options for new units.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I am looking for a device0