Windows 10
Anyone running Windows 10 on their HTPC? I use OpenElec but I always keep my options open for returning to Windows. Anyone find the TP to offer any features that will make it beneficial to an htpc? One thing I like is the Xbox app that will allow me to play Xbox One games via streaming.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
I can confirm that it will run on W10 but it's not my primary machine so I haven't really done anything with it to date. I haven't used it enough to even compare to my primary box running W7 that I use daily.
Because of the current lack of driver support for win10 I don't see any point in switching.
(2015-02-09, 18:44)barenaked Wrote: Because of the current lack of driver support for win10 I don't see any point in switching.

Believe it or not, I never thought of that haha. However with the last build came a beta nVidia driver for 10 plus AMD has one. Still agree with you though, not much reason to switch yet.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
(2015-02-09, 18:44)barenaked Wrote: Because of the current lack of driver support for win10 I don't see any point in switching.

This statement is disingenuous at best. I'm running the Windows 10 TP on my two laptops, a convertible tablet/laptop, two desktops in my office, and my main gaming home machine with no driver issues. The current publicly available build (10074) does have a showstopper issue that prevents me from using it on my HTPC yet, though--- surround sound is not working. It's a non-issue on other systems, but I gotta have my 5.1 in the living room :-)
Windows 11 Pro, Kodi 20, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32gb RAM, nVidia 3080 ti
It's running for me, but since no WMC in Win 10 which I use for live-tv backend, I stick to Win 8.

scott s.
(2015-05-14, 01:43)scott967 Wrote: It's running for me, but since no WMC in Win 10 which I use for live-tv backend, I stick to Win 8.

scott s.

A bit OT, but this interests me--- I've messed with WMC off and on over the years, but always found it limited for my wants and I canceled my cable tv back in 2008 since I stream or download the few shows I watch anyway. BTW that's not a complaint against WMC, since I get that it's designed to be simpler for Joe 6-pack to work with. Are there shortcomings in Kodi that prevent you from using it for live tv?

I ask because now I have a significant other who likes to watch tv and I have cable again. I really want to integrate it into Kodi, but my cable company is worthless about suggestions of the various streaming boxes that can use their cablecard. I've scoured the Kodi forums for more info on live tv, but I can't find anything as detailed as I want before I pull the trigger and try a product like HD Homerun or whatnot. I need this solution to be simple to use for the technologically impaired end user, but I don't mind some brain sweat in getting it set up.
Kodi requires a backend to manage tv tuners, recording, epg. There is a windows program, server-wmc that uses WMC to provide this functionality. The main limitation though has to do with DRMed sources, such as from a cable-card. WMC can play these but the DRM prevents the server-wmc program from making them available to Kodi. Another limitation is that WMC makes its recordings in a file container format "wtv" (for the current WMC) and Kodi can't extract any meta data from the file AFAIK.

The pvr-wmc forum here has all you need to get WMC up and running as the Kodi live tv backend.

You can also use WMC as an FM radio tuner (at least in the US) if your tuner hardware supports this and this also can be played in Kodi (in most cases though I suspect using a streaming source provides a bit richer experience in Kodi).

The end user doesn't need to know/interact with the backend at all, other than to make sure whatever machine it is running on is turned on.

scott s.
(2015-05-14, 22:22)scott967 Wrote: Kodi requires a backend to manage tv tuners, recording, epg. There is a windows program, server-wmc that uses WMC to provide this functionality. The main limitation though has to do with DRMed sources, such as from a cable-card. WMC can play these but the DRM prevents the server-wmc program from making them available to Kodi. Another limitation is that WMC makes its recordings in a file container format "wtv" (for the current WMC) and Kodi can't extract any meta data from the file AFAIK.

The pvr-wmc forum here has all you need to get WMC up and running as the Kodi live tv backend.

You can also use WMC as an FM radio tuner (at least in the US) if your tuner hardware supports this and this also can be played in Kodi (in most cases though I suspect using a streaming source provides a bit richer experience in Kodi).

The end user doesn't need to know/interact with the backend at all, other than to make sure whatever machine it is running on is turned on.

scott s.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the info, Scott. The thing is, I will be upgrading my HTPC to Windows 10 as soon as the surround sound issues get ironed out because I just really like it. I'll look into that thread for suggestions on alternative backends since WMC is kaput. I assume there are some viable choices floating around out there somewhere.
(2015-05-14, 23:09)snarfo Wrote: Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the info, Scott. The thing is, I will be upgrading my HTPC to Windows 10 as soon as the surround sound issues get ironed out because I just really like it. I'll look into that thread for suggestions on alternative backends since WMC is kaput. I assume there are some viable choices floating around out there somewhere.

Many folks use Next PVR, but I find it fiddly to setup and you have to buy epg data from a subscription service like Schedules Direct (at least for US OTA live tv).

scott s.
Oh come on schedules direct is about $30 per year isn't it? For the very best epg data? peanuts.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-05-13, 19:20)snarfo Wrote:

This statement is disingenuous at best. I'm running the Windows 10 TP on my two laptops, a convertible tablet/laptop, two desktops in my office, and my main gaming home machine with no driver issues. The current publicly available build (10074) does have a showstopper issue that prevents me from using it on my HTPC yet, though--- surround sound is not working. It's a non-issue on other systems, but I gotta have my 5.1 in the living room :-)

There is no sound issue on my machine running 10074
From the forums:

This is a known problem in recent builds including 10074. Sorry about that. We should have it fixed in the next flight.
Thanks!
John W [MSFT]
I have been running KODI with Win 10 . But a problem has developed . When streaming , sound will play but no video .

KODI will play a video / audio file from my hard drive , just fine .

Tried going back to XBMC , but that does not seem to help , either .

God bless
Wyr

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 100