Can we have a native Raspbian KODI build
It's not quite the ideal "apt-get install kodi" one-liner, though.

In fact, installing XBian on Raspbian seems more complicated than the steps required to install XBMC/Kodi on Raspbian (link in post #5).

I've nothing against XBian, but shouldn't it be so much easier for users to get Kodi running on Raspbian?
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
One of our developers said he is going to create a meta package to make it one liner simple. Or as close to one line as possible.

I will link here when I have more information about it.
(2015-02-10, 10:51)wsnipex Wrote: Debians packaging rules forbid embedded libs. Even having ffmpeg back in debian won't help until either all of our patches are merged upstream(unlikely) or we can live with vanilla ffmpeg.

edit: its not really very difficult to provide builds, but it really depends on raspbians stance on the above matter.

By default raspbian ships with raspberrypi repo (deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ wheezy main) so we can support packages not suitable for debian.
We just need the deb file.

I assume that after build xbmc running tools/Linux/packaging/mk-debian-package.sh is the right thing to do to get a deb file?
I did try that, but it failed (after cleaning my git tree...). Need to work out if it's just some packages that need installing or if the mk-debian-package.sh needs anything Pi specific.
Any idea @wsnipex?
tools/Linux/packaging/mk-debian-package.sh does everything for you, from a clean git tree. But it won't work(ootb) in a cross compile env.
Its won't build any depends either, they must be available as system installed packages.
So, it should work when running it on the pi directly Wink Or maybe a qemu-arm pbuilder setup...

How do you build your other packages?
(2015-02-10, 15:15)wsnipex Wrote: tools/Linux/packaging/mk-debian-package.sh does everything for you, from a clean git tree. But it won't work(ootb) in a cross compile env.
Its won't build any depends either, they must be available as system installed packages.
So, it should work when running it on the pi directly Wink Or maybe a qemu-arm pbuilder setup...

How do you build your other packages?

I cross compile with unified build system (e.g. with FernetMenta's instructions).
Building on Pi (or qemu) would be pretty slow.

Is it possible to cross compile, and then mount the directory from Pi (or qemu), and then run mk-debian-package.sh?
no, mk-debian-package - or rather debuild for that matter - builds from source. And its not made to work with unified depends either.
(2015-02-10, 16:06)wsnipex Wrote: no, mk-debian-package - or rather debuild for that matter - builds from source. And its not made to work with unified depends either.

That's a shame. Any reason why the output of cross-compiled unified builds can't be used to produce a deb file?
(i.e. using the libs built by kodi - not using debian dependencies).
Standard debian build scripts are simply not designed for that.
You can use dpkg-deb to pack a binary tree together if you manually create a suitable DEBIAN/control file and take care to ship all needed dependencies in it. debuild uses that as well as one of a multitude of steps.
How likely is mk-debian-package to run natively on the Pi? (assuming we are happy with it taking hours).
we'd need to provide pi specific debian packaging files, then it should work™, but it will take _really_ long. Imho its not really feasible to compile on the pi.
(2015-02-10, 17:28)wsnipex Wrote: we'd need to provide pi specific debian packaging files, then it should work™, but it will take _really_ long. Imho its not really feasible to compile on the pi.

You can build kodi on the Pi. On an overclocked Pi1 it takes about 12 hours. Not tried on Pi2 but it may be a few times faster.
(2015-02-10, 03:53)natethomas Wrote: I just realized an interesting thing about the English language. There's an error in your paragraph, and it could be corrected in two totally different ways.

"where we want" and "were we wont." The second version is admittedly pretty archaic and doesn't make a ton of sense, but totally sounds cooler.

LOL simple typo! But very amusing to be corrected on 'English' by someone from Kansas, clearly a wordsmith of some repute Smile The second variant is not only archaic put positively Dickensian.

As an afterthought; the second variant is not really contextually applicable. Wont; is really about 'being accustomed' or 'being used' to something or other. Preceded by 'were' makes the case more contextually inappropriate as we are in no doubt as to 'what we want' and are certainly not accustomed or used to it on the pi Wink

I am really happy the 'gods of kodi' have responded to this thread. I can see lots of names I recognise from our journey so far with the Pi and xbmc/kodi. I just hope this mission sparks their interest enough to want to produce a standard kodi build for the Pi that can be installed using the apt package management system. I really don't mind if we have to add a repo as we do that today for our Ubuntu systems.

Cheers
Spart (A Brit)
6 x Raspberry Pi Model B & B+ Pi2 & 3 Zotac Mag Ubuntu 14.04.1 - Ubuntu 14.04.1 Test Machine Kodi Nightly - RocketNAS 8TB Usable Raid 6 Ubuntu 14.04.1 RocketNAS Build
Looks like I may have spoken too soon in my enthusiasm for this 'mission' and the gods have abandoned me Sad

Spart
6 x Raspberry Pi Model B & B+ Pi2 & 3 Zotac Mag Ubuntu 14.04.1 - Ubuntu 14.04.1 Test Machine Kodi Nightly - RocketNAS 8TB Usable Raid 6 Ubuntu 14.04.1 RocketNAS Build
the gods of kodi have day jobs
This guy already maintains a repo with Kodi for raspbian: http://michael.gorven.za.net

it works great Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can we have a native Raspbian KODI build2