• 4(current)
Audio passthru on Fire TV
How do you configure Kodi to play Dolby Digital Plus? I've been unable to play DD+ audio streams even on Fire TV box.
(2015-11-21, 01:39)AudioByte Wrote: How do you configure Kodi to play Dolby Digital Plus? I've been unable to play DD+ audio streams even on Fire TV box.

Set audio to 7.1 in System Audio (5.1 still gives me Dolby Digital here). When a movie is playing, bring up the on-screen display and go to the audio settings and select enable passthrough and then click on the "set as default for all" down at the bottom so all movies have passthrough audio.

That's all it takes here on a FireTV2 Stick.
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
I'm new to kodi and the fire STICK. I was having the same issue with NOT having 5.1 audio. I have a Denon AVR, which I knew to be capable of decoding anything that was fed into it. I was just about to give up and wait for a fix from the developers.... but before shutting it down i decided to check the "System" settings of kodi itself, NOT my AVR, and NOT the fire STICK. I used FUSION from Tvaddons.ag, so I dont know what any other interface looks like, but.... IF you go into SYSTEM---SETTINGS---there's another SYSTEM tab...under that menu there's an AUDIO OUTPUT tab....BEFORE you go to that, go to the bottom and change the SETTINGS LEVEL to EXPERT. THEN go back up to AUDIO OUTPUT....HERE is where you'll have the option to change the NUMBER of CHANNELS, enable PASSTHROUGH, AND tell the app that you have a DOLBY DIGITAL(AC3) and/or DTS capable receiver. As soon as I made these changes, everything started to work just as I had hoped. Now that this has been resolved, I think I'm gonna by 2 more fire TV sticks on BLACK FRIDAY. Good luck guys. I hope this helps anyone who had similar issues.

Muncrief...you gave up too soon. I'll get you one for Christmas. Lol

FYI... I'm running kodi 15.2
Yeah. Passthrough tends to work better when you actually enables it in Kodi Wink
This is still Digital Dolby. How about Digital Dolby Plus (EAC3)
(2015-11-24, 08:12)HRM1Y Wrote: I'm new to kodi and the fire STICK. I was having the same issue with NOT having 5.1 audio. I have a Denon AVR, which I knew to be capable of decoding anything that was fed into it. I was just about to give up and wait for a fix from the developers.... but before shutting it down i decided to check the "System" settings of kodi itself, NOT my AVR, and NOT the fire STICK. I used FUSION from Tvaddons.ag, so I dont know what any other interface looks like, but.... IF you go into SYSTEM---SETTINGS---there's another SYSTEM tab...under that menu there's an AUDIO OUTPUT tab....BEFORE you go to that, go to the bottom and change the SETTINGS LEVEL to EXPERT. THEN go back up to AUDIO OUTPUT....HERE is where you'll have the option to change the NUMBER of CHANNELS, enable PASSTHROUGH, AND tell the app that you have a DOLBY DIGITAL(AC3) and/or DTS capable receiver. As soon as I made these changes, everything started to work just as I had hoped. Now that this has been resolved, I think I'm gonna by 2 more fire TV sticks on BLACK FRIDAY. Good luck guys. I hope this helps anyone who had similar issues.

Muncrief...you gave up too soon. I'll get you one for Christmas. Lol

FYI... I'm running kodi 15.2

Hey, this solved one of my DTS problems too. I didn't realize the DTS settings were in a different level menu, but this is my first real version of Kodi (been using XBMC Eden on a 1st Gen ATV and there was only one audio menu there). My FireTV Stick will now play DTS movies properly.

I still have one problem left with DTS and that is DTS Audio CDs only appear to output at 48kHz on the FireTV Stick which means they play too fast (pitch is higher which sounds odd to say the least). I thought I read somewhere that the FireTV Stick could output 44.1kHz, but it doesn't appear so. Putting my receiver into signal info mode, even plain 2-channel music tracks are outputting at 48kHz, which means FireTV is resampling all audio output that isn't 48kHz. The ODD thing is that this is what AppleTV Gen2/3 do also (Gen1 plays 44.1 just fine), but unlike those boxes, here it resamples to 48kHz WITHOUT DESTROYING THE DATA (AppleTV 2/3 mangles the signal and all you get is noise). I would have thought that was impossible to just get a higher pitch DTS signal given resampling should screw it up so I'm at a bit of a loss what's going on. Unless I can find a way to have Kodi output DTS WAV (DTS Audio CD rips) at 44.1kHz, they're rather useless. Doing a search again, I'm having trouble finding verification that FireTV (Stick) can output 44.1kHz correctly or if something changed perhaps in one of the firmware updates.

I've also noticed that Kodi still cannot seemingly output DTS Audio CDs compressed inside Apple Lossless containers (1st Gen ATV outputs these correctly as DTS from its own interface, but not XBMC Eden which has the same problem). That would seem to indicate that Kodi's Apple Lossless decoder isn't lossless or it would still output DTS regardless if it's a WAV or a WAV compressed with Apple Lossless (or FLAC for that matter, which I haven't tried). I've kept a copy of all my DTS Audio CDs in WAV format for just the reason all these years, but it's kind of a waste of space when they could be compressed losslessly. But it won't matter either way if I can't get the pitch back to normal.
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
(2015-11-26, 20:58)VonMagnum Wrote: ...been using XBMC Eden on a 1st Gen ATV and there was only one audio menu there).
You will find this version of OpenELEC / Kodi 15.2 runs nicely on your ATV1: Wink

http://chewitt.openelec.tv/appletv/

(2015-11-25, 22:26)AudioByte Wrote: This is still Digital Dolby. How about Digital Dolby Plus (EAC3)

We are all waiting for you to implement it - any timeline yet?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-11-27, 03:55)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-11-26, 20:58)VonMagnum Wrote: ...been using XBMC Eden on a 1st Gen ATV and there was only one audio menu there).
You will find this version of OpenELEC / Kodi 15.2 runs nicely on your ATV1: Wink

http://chewitt.openelec.tv/appletv/

I'll have to try that out. One of my two ATV1 units seemed to lose its WiFi card the other day (fried?) so it would be a good candidate to go ahead and try the Broadcom card I have sitting here, but I'd probably have to go ahead with a full install as I'd need to use the USB port for a WiFi card in my home theater room (I could use Ethernet in my living room, but the FireTV is probably sufficient there as my issues are with DTS Audio CDs).

I read somewhere the Raspberry Pi2 might be the way to go for Kodi with bit-perfect output, though. I'm getting the impression that the Wetek Core isn't the best choice for audio-related output. Raspberry doesn't even have a Netflix viewer and Wetek apparently can't do Netflix 4K due to a bad choice in HDMI connector. Is there anything out there that handles everything short of Apple rentals? It seems like they all have something missing. I don't really need 4K right now, so if Wetek can do 44.1kHz output without resampling, I'd pick one up to try. Raspberry Pi2 sounds great for Kodi and bit-perfect audio, but it can't apparently run anything commercial like Netflix, Amazon Video, etc. so it would be of limited use (i.e. might as well just use the Broadcom ATV1 instead since I already have the hardware here).
Please stay on topic. ATV1/RPI/OE is irrelevant here.
(2015-11-27, 16:08)Koying Wrote: Please stay on topic. ATV1/RPI/OE is irrelevant here.

It may not be relevant to you, but it's relevant to my DTS passthrough problem (i.e. if you can't find a solution on FireTV, any alternative solution is better than NO solution at all, IMO)

However, I believe I've discovered at least on possibility today for FireTV to play 44.1kHz DTS Audio CDs in surround, namely through transcoding to Dolby Digital instead of outputting the signal directly through passthrough. This resamples the audio after it's decoded from DTS and before encoding to Dolby Digital for passthrough output to the receiver. This keeps the pitch correct for the final output on FireTV. It even shortens the gap between tracks to a fraction of a second (DTS always caused a longer pause between tracks for me).

The only real down side is that it takes CPU power to resample and FireTV (stick) seems to handle medium at most without stuttering (the 4K version probably would handle high). Another potential issue is that to play DTS movies in DTS instead of transcoding them also, you'd have to switch the setting back to enable DTS output again when you're done. It'd be nice if there were a setting to have exceptions for transcoding versus DTS output and only have it do it for 44.1kHz sources since they won't play correctly on FireTV hardware otherwise. Maybe it could be done from a script check somewhere (perhaps using .WAV that DTS Audio CDs typically use). Hopefully, FireTV will be more flexible in future firmware updates for 44.1 output directly.
(2015-11-27, 17:53)VonMagnum Wrote: It may not be relevant to you, but it's relevant to my DTS passthrough problem (i.e. if you can't find a solution on FireTV, any alternative solution is better than NO solution at all, IMO)

No. It's irrelevant because it's the android support subforum. If you're hunting for your perfect device, go to the hardware subforum.
(2015-11-27, 09:41)fritsch Wrote:
(2015-11-25, 22:26)AudioByte Wrote: This is still Digital Dolby. How about Digital Dolby Plus (EAC3)

Does this mean that this support is not yet present in Kodi 15.2? Not sure who was that questions directed to.
(2015-12-04, 00:31)AudioByte Wrote:
(2015-11-27, 09:41)fritsch Wrote:

Does this mean that this support is not yet present in Kodi 15.2? Not sure who was that questions directed to.

I'd say it's directed to YOU (or anyone else asking for features). They're basically saying if you want a feature in Kodi, CODE IT YOUR DAMN SELF. Their philosophy as near as I can tell is that they code what they want because it's features they personally want to see and since they're working for FREE, that means they don't take requests...PERIOD (unless they happen to think it's a good idea and want it themselves also). Personally, I think they could use a bit more tact (i.e. it's rather rude/snarky, IMO), but WTF do I know. I'm just a leech, after all.
Smile 
Hi Guys

I have almost same problem.

I received a AFTV 4k for Christmas to replace my RPI2 OpenElec setup which worked perfectly regarding DD 5.1

My problem is with DD 'only' on 'TV Playback' when the TV Channel like BBC HD or Channel 4 HD is outputting DD, I get Stereo. I don't get any white noise, just stereo. My Movies which I encode with 2 sound streams (Stereo & 5.1DD) play fine. I can choose Stereo and my Amp changes immediately, similarly if I change to DD.

In addition to this I did also check Plex and noticed I could not get DD from my movies but I didn't spend much time there because Kodi's the one for me.

Hope this can be sorted by you GR8 Kodi developers

Cheers

Ry ;-)
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio passthru on Fire TV1