Best option for serving media files FROM kodi to other devices?
I'm running Kodi on a raspberry pi which has an attached hard drive with all my media on it.

I would love to be able to stream this media to any device on my home network, kind of like if Kodi was a Plex media server too.

What is my best option for doing this?

I looked into Samba shares but would prefer to avoid this due to cpu overhead.
I wondered about some of the UPnP features in Kodi, but am not at all familiar with how they work.
I wondered if the PleXBMC would be good, but it looks like it is only a client and does not function as a server.

Have any of you accomplished what I am trying to do? What works best for you?
The upnp features in Kodi are also server/client, but why think this has less cpu overhead than smb, on a PI of all toys?... Just makes me smile that.
Then plex, the observation you make clearly you dont know, which is ok I dont either as Ide never use it... Well if smb cpu overhead worried you to begin with, then you are probably best to stick to kodi internal upnp server/renderer.
Reason being is that Plex does transcoding which if you on a PI serving forget it and if you turn transcoding off you best not go there at all.

It would be easier to have some low powered NAS serving all your clients in the house rather than using the PI to do 2 jobs probably not very well...
SMB/Samba is honestly not that bad on most Pi's. UPnP from another Kodi instance works really well, too. See syncing and sharing (wiki) for more options, but I normally just use SMB (wiki) (or NFS (wiki)) and UPnP (wiki).
Ive no experience here RPI wise, but NFS shares into PI have been reported a few times as problematic no idea if its been fixed yet or what problem was.
There's no Pi-specific reason for NFS shares to not work, so I wouldn't really put any weight into such things.
(2015-02-28, 19:23)uNiversal Wrote: Ive no experience here RPI wise, but NFS shares into PI have been reported a few times as problematic no idea if its been fixed yet or what problem was.

NFS works perfectly with an RPI, I have 4 RPI and use NFS exclusively. I have setup an old Acer Revo running Lubuntu with a pair of 1 TB drives and added 3 NFS shares, one for music, one for TV and one for movies.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
Now that I think about it, I think someone once said that Kodi's internal NFS client might not be as fast as the OS-level NFS client, but it should still be a step above SMB as far as speed/less overhead goes.
UPnP from Kodi would be best from my experience.
Do you have any upnp clients you would recommend for Android/Windows?
kodi
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best option for serving media files FROM kodi to other devices?0