Linux UPNP problem, Play Using, RASPBMC/Kodi
Hello there everyone, I am having an issue with the UPNP "play using" feature found in the context menu of any video file within either my TV Show or Movie library.

Whenever I try using this feature with my Samsung TV, everything seems to connect and start working correctly, the TV switches inputs. Then after 1/2 a second, playback stops and my TV reverts back to the pi's HDMI input.

I've tried this many times now, sometimes I get a few seconds of playback, other times my pi reboots. I've tried the UPNP "play using feature with my pi over clocked and set to normal clock, both clock settings making no difference to UPNP playback.

I've tried this feature out on my windows laptop, running exactly the same version on as is on the pi. I did this to see if the "play using feature would wirk with my TV. My laptop manages to play just about every video via UPNP and control playback/pause/rewind etc, it does this flawlessly.

My question is this, is there any reason my pi would misbehave in this manner? I'm assuming it is the pi because my laptop manages UPNP streaming.

If it is the pi, how would I go about fixing the issue I'm experiencing?

The reason I'm trying to play media in this way is because my TV does not pass through surround sound. Via UPnP playback, it does.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer. This has me pretty stumped.

Andy.
Sorry, I forgot to add, the version I'm using is version 14.1 Kodi on Raspberry Pi and on my laptop. I've also just tried 14.2 on my laptop and everything works on my laptop just as it did in version 14.1.

I have also been searching the forums and have found nothing that fits my problem/scenario. Googling the problem doesn't yield much in the way of help either.

Thanks again,

Andy.
Works best sending to another instance of kodi. Like the one connected to your TV via HDMI
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
So does that mean that Kodi for RPi doesn't fully support UPNP? UPNP being a standard, I'd have thought it should have worked regardless of device.

Like I said before, my laptop manages to do what I'm trying to avheive. It connects to my TV's UPNP/DLNA service and plays videos fine, more importantly for me, with surround sound being properly decoded. I'd have thought that as the versions I'm using are the same, the pi should cope with the UPNP streaming too.

Its almost like the pi can send the video to my TV, buffer it a little, then it stops. Its like the pi just runs out of memory? Could that be the issue here?
debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
OK I'll get that log sorted this evening.

Thanks for your help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UPNP problem, Play Using, RASPBMC/Kodi0