Minor Suggestions for default keymap.xml
I've got a few suggestions for dvd remote actions for the default keymap.xml. I only use wireless controllers myself, as the speed and accuracy of controlling xbmc with these cannot be beaten.

However, I've set up a few xbox's for friends that wanted to use the remote, and I've found that the keymap for remotes needs to be modified a bit to get ease of use and speed implemented (IMO). I've never had to change the default keymapping for controllers. From what I understand, the dev team also mainly use wireless controllers, so this may be why (IMO), the default keymapping for remotes has been overlooked a little. Anyway, maybe people who have a lot more experience with remotes will disagree, but here goes:

1) Why is there no fast forward/rewind for the remote? I've found myself adding in AnalogRewind and AnalogFastForward to the remote's forward and reverse buttons for Full screen video. Granted, is not as smooth, nice or easy to use as on the controller, but it's still handy to be able to seek through videos, even if only at 32X.

2). I believe using zero for queuing is in-efficient. It's bad enough navigating large lists and making playlists with the remote, but 0 is too far from the general navigation buttons. I think button 2 is much more efficient. It's very close to the navigation buttons, and can easily be found without having to look at the remote. IMO Zero should switch to playlist.

3). Use forward and reverse for scrolling in files and library views. Not as smooth as controller scrolling, but still useful.

4). Use 4 and 7 for page up/down actions in lists. Not sure if these are used as numerical input regularly by others.

As I said at the beginning, I don't use the remote myself. These are just the observations I have made while setting up XBMC for techno-cripples who wish to use the remote. If anyone who uses the remote has other idea's/explanations why the above configuration isn't ideal, feel free to correct me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Minor Suggestions for default keymap.xml0