• 15(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
Taking it within context, and further more with the pricing comment, I read it as Pro being for masses.
(2015-05-20, 22:33)Tinwarble Wrote: Yeah, I wouldn't count on Kodi being straight forward. The Shield has a brand new SoC, which in it's self may cause issues, as well it's a 64bit ARM which could cause problems.

Also, no Android box is just like any other Android box (which goes for tablets and phones too). Every manufacture cooks their own version of Android to work with their hardware, which is why some devices are better than others even among some manufactures that use the same SoC.

Right now everything about the Shield is speculation based on the specs. Yes, it looks good on paper, but real world results could be a completely different story.

Shows how much I know. I guess I will wait for testing to be done first.
Just got an email from Nvidia ... looks like it will def be out this month.

Quote:The wait is over. Be the first in the world to have an NVIDIA® SHIELD™.

You asked to be notified of any SHIELD news, and we have some exciting updates!

SHIELD is almost here. And we’re celebrating our loyal fans by giving away a free SHIELD every day until it’s officially available. Best of all, you’re already entered—automatically—just for being on our email list.

It’s our way of saying thanks for your patience and your passion for all things SHIELD.
Got it too... they must be getting close. Guessing it'll debut at Google I/O on May 28-29.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
So they will be giving away 8 or 9 of these? HMMM... It will be cool if someone on this board wins one of these.
If this device can support 3D frame packed (3D ISO) and Bitstream Audio (DTS HD MA and DOLBY TRUE HD ATMOS)

This will be the ultimate Kodi Box...

IF it does, I will be getting the Dev version and get rid all my other players.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
While I agree I believe 3d is dead for the home market. There is no push from Disney and some other studios may follow.

Some new tv's are not even coming with 3d at all.

I think with the high prices of 3d movies and the fact some tv's do not do 3d justice it wasn't a fair Shot. Personally I have seen 3d on a DLP projector with zero ghosting and it is fantastic.

I will be getting this and if 3d is there that is a Plus.
Unfortunately, you're right. I love 3D, especially when done right like in 'Avatar', 'Gravity', 'Hugo', etc. Problem is studios have kinda given up on 3D, especially Disney, which is a shame. Can only hope the 'Avatar' sequels (assuming they're any good) will revive interest.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Avatar will revive interest in the theater. The electronics manufacturers have not made any advancements in 3d for home.

The only hope will be glasses free 3d.(if that even has a chance now)
3D can't die fast enough for me. Now, bring on Smell-O-Vision.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
4K is the latest fad. 3d never really caught on... and from expert opinions here seems like 4k is also not all that it is made out to be
I will take any HDR ( High Dynamic Range) 1080p TV over any standard 4K TV...

That is just me..
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
Completely agree, thing is that HDR is only coming to 4K sets at the moment so they go hand in hand for now. So saying no interest in 4K is kinda saying no interest in HDR also unfortunately.
(2015-05-23, 15:04)david.kennedy Wrote: Completely agree, thing is that HDR is only coming to 4K sets at the moment so they go hand in hand for now. So saying no interest in 4K is kinda saying no interest in HDR also unfortunately.

Agreed.

But there are only few 4K TV release now that have HDR.
Very true, hoping to buy an OLED myself in September...
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9