• 227(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
Really thinking of getting the new shield due out next week here in the UK. I currently have a Amazon Fire Tv 4k box, only use Kodi/SPMC on the box is it even worth me getting a shield? Would it be that much faster than the AFTV?

Only thing that kind of annoys me about the Amazon fire tv box is how much of a pain it is like restricted in a way. Also when you go into kodi or spmc before anything 60-70% of the ram is already used.
(2017-01-09, 12:20)Pi 4 Wrote: New to all this, please clarify a few issues.

I have two 3TB HDs with MP4s and ISOs. Now that the SD slot is gone how can I expand the internal memory as the two USB ports will be taken up by my two HDs ?

[...]
Well, a simple USB-Hub should solve at least this issue Wink

(2017-01-09, 13:54)rchads89 Wrote: Really thinking of getting the new shield due out next week here in the UK. I currently have a Amazon Fire Tv 4k box, only use Kodi/SPMC on the box is it even worth me getting a shield? Would it be that much faster than the AFTV?

Only thing that kind of annoys me about the Amazon fire tv box is how much of a pain it is like restricted in a way. Also when you go into kodi or spmc before anything 60-70% of the ram is already used.
You should mention what your actual reasons are to switch over to the shield. What are you referring to when saying "much of a pain it is like restricted in a way"?
And do you notice during usage that "60-70% of the ram is already used" ? I mean, do you see any lag or slowdowns because of this? On my Odroid C2 LibreELEC debug OSD also shows that more than 80% of ram are full when just staring at the GUI, but then I read from one of the developers that this is a wrongly displayed information. Anyways.. I see no lag or so.

I also own a FireTV 4K and for me the benefits to switch over to shield will be:
  • HD Audio capability
  • Gigabit Lan
  • NTFS drive support
I would also like to read some more points (pro's or con's) from other users Smile
Oh so if this is wrongly displayed on the RAM side of things might have more free ram than it actually says. Yeah i'd also like to see the benefits of going from a amazon fire tv 4k to a nvidia shield . I won't use the shield for anything other than streaming due to having a xbox one for gaming on.
(2017-01-09, 14:56)rchads89 Wrote: Oh so if this is wrongly displayed on the RAM side of things might have more free ram than it actually says.
Well, I'm not sure if that's the case for the FireTV, though.
But as long as you don't notice any negative effect regarding this, I wouldn't bother myself with this.
(2017-01-09, 15:02)infinity85 Wrote:
(2017-01-09, 14:56)rchads89 Wrote: Oh so if this is wrongly displayed on the RAM side of things might have more free ram than it actually says.
Well, I'm not sure if that's the case for the FireTV, though.
But as long as you don't notice any negative effect regarding this, I wouldn't bother myself with this.

Hmm suppose they is still 30 odd % free ram if this is the case
(2017-01-09, 14:56)rchads89 Wrote: Yeah i'd also like to see the benefits of going from a amazon fire tv 4k to a nvidia shield . I won't use the shield for anything other than streaming due to having a xbox one for gaming on.
Well, the ShieldTV can act as a Plex server, including transcoding. That's extremely cool.

Beyond that, for streaming video purposes only, there are no real advantages for the ShieldTV over the FireTV. It does have the real YouTube app, which is better than the HTML5 frontend on the FireTV, but that works OK for me.

For Kodi purposes, the ShieldTV is the primary platform for SPMC development and thus will always be the best android platform. That mostly entails nitpicky stuff like 23.976Hz, variable refresh rates, etc, but if you care about those sorts of things the ShieldTV is clearly a better solution.

It's true that the ShieldTV is literally over twice the cost of the FireTV2, and you don't get a lot more for that money. But we're only talking about $100 so you may not actually care, and just want to get the best solution period. That's the ShieldTV.
Edit
ADT-1 Developer Kit / Nvidia's Shield TV / Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' / Beelink GT1 / Amazon Fire TV 2 / Wetek Core / ODROID-C2 / Raspberry Pi 2 / Nexbox A5
"Old" Shield it has HDCP2.2?
(2017-01-10, 08:28)maxelm2 Wrote: "Old" Shield it has HDCP2.2?

Yes.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/shield-tv/

Quote:HDMI 2.0b with HDCP 2.2 and CEC support
(2017-01-09, 12:20)Pi 4 Wrote: New to all this, please clarify a few issues.

I have two 3TB HDs with MP4s and ISOs. Now that the SD slot is gone how can I expand the internal memory as the two USB ports will be taken up by my two HDs ?

[...]
Well, a simple USB-Hub should solve at least this issue Wink

Thanks Infinity, I wasn't sure if using a hub would be problematic.

Can anyone confirm if the Shield can play ISO files ? I have my movies in mp4 but I think TV Series with multi episodes are better kept together in the ISO.
(2017-01-09, 17:52)sandogo1 Wrote:
(2017-01-09, 09:20)Koying Wrote:
(2017-01-09, 05:33)sandogo1 Wrote: GeForce Experience - Update 5.0 preview just released with amazon video and Android 7.0
Not sure what that means. That there is a preview image that you can install, somewhere?

Beta tester for nvidia.. last update I got 2 or 3 weeks before it ws released.

I received it too. Played around last night a bit, and saw some playback issues in SPMC but not in Kodi 17 RC. I'm using PlexKodiConnect, but it even happened when the Video Screensaver attempted to play.

@Koying - if I can keep duplicating the issue, what do you need, and where should I post it? (I'm figuring Github, but doesn't hurt to ask.)
(2017-01-10, 15:52)sdsnyr94 Wrote: @Koying - if I can keep duplicating the issue, what do you need, and where should I post it? (I'm figuring Github, but doesn't hurt to ask.)

I hate to develop blind. I'll just wait to get the update myself...
I had completely missed the announcement about the firmware update – great news!

Hopefully the new firmware will allow the Shield to use the correct (configured) color system when switching framerates.

Any chance it will also allow apps to switch resolutions in the future? Being able to keep the device set to 4k (playing Netflix/Amazon content at full resolution), but switching to 1080p when playing < 4k content in Kodi (allowing the TV to do the upscaling) would be so sweet.
anyone running the pre release able to confirm HDR Youtube?
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
Hello!

Some questions from a first time user of Kodi with the Nvidia Shield 16gb version,
with a fast usb 3.0 Hyper X Savage 64gb stick.

I have been reading lots but still i have some questions Smile

1. Should i just start the Shield and install Kodi from the play store? Or should I use SPMC?
Im not an advanced user, just want everything to work smooth, fast, and with all the fancy artwork and info.

2. I have a movie archive with about 1500 movies, should i store the metadata on the usb stickHuh
Scared the 16gb wont be enough! And I dont want to have a slow system!

3.My movies is stored on a NAS synology box. Should I use somekind of program to sort anything out with the files first?
Or should I just point at the archive and see what happens?
Also scared letting some program mess with my movie files Smile

I wanna do everything right the first time, and trouble free!

Super thanks for your insight!
Have ordered the new shield and wanna be ready!! Big Grin
  • 227(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9