• 92(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
(2015-10-23, 12:50)Ogreen Wrote:
(2015-10-23, 11:48)Skank Wrote: Would it be ok to say kodi with shield will get hd audio around christmas or is that an utopy?

or will it never come..

Are devs working on this ? Anyone know?

With Android 6, when Nvidia will do the update it will be very fast I think Wink
But now it's possible to have LPCM with kodi 16 alpha, it's not too bad at the moment Wink

Why with android 6 it will come?
(2015-10-23, 12:57)Skank Wrote:
(2015-10-23, 12:50)Ogreen Wrote:
(2015-10-23, 11:48)Skank Wrote: Would it be ok to say kodi with shield will get hd audio around christmas or is that an utopy?

or will it never come..

Are devs working on this ? Anyone know?

With Android 6, when Nvidia will do the update it will be very fast I think Wink
But now it's possible to have LPCM with kodi 16 alpha, it's not too bad at the moment Wink

Because it will be supported officialy
With android 5, coder's have to integrate some source codes from android 6 to have partialy support, with android 6 it will an official support Wink
This is an abstract because I'm not a coder Big Grin
(2015-10-23, 13:09)Ogreen Wrote:
(2015-10-23, 12:57)Skank Wrote:
(2015-10-23, 12:50)Ogreen Wrote: With Android 6, when Nvidia will do the update it will be very fast I think Wink

Because it will be supported officialy
With android 5, coder's have to integrate some source codes from android 6 to have partialy support, with android 6 it will an official support Wink
This is an abstract because I'm not a coder Big Grin

Whats your source?
So android 6 will bitstream hd audio?
see Android platform API documents or actually read up on the threads as it has been answered several times
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-10-23, 13:16)Martijn Wrote: see Android platform API documents or actually read up on the threads as it has been answered several times

+1 Wink
(2015-10-23, 13:16)Martijn Wrote: see Android platform API documents or actually read up on the threads as it has been answered several times

Ah again..

This release adds enhancements to audio processing on Android, including:

Support for the MIDI protocol, with the new android.media.midi APIs. Use these APIs to send and receive MIDI events.
New AudioRecord.Builder and AudioTrack.Builder classes to create digital audio capture and playback objects respectively, and configure audio source and sink properties to override the system defaults.
API hooks for associating audio and input devices. This is particularly useful if your app allows users to start a voice search from a game controller or remote control connected to Android TV. The system invokes the new onSearchRequested() callback when the user starts a search. To determine if the user's input device has a built-in microphone, retrieve the InputDevice object from that callback, then call the new hasMicrophone() method.
New getDevices() method which lets you retrieve a list of all audio devices currently connected to the system. You can also register an AudioDeviceCallback object if you want the system to notify your app when an audio device connects or disconnects.

from https://developer.android.com/about/vers...d-6.0.html

so for me this is not clear... that android 6 will get hd audio passthrough,; it might be inside new detdevices method but i dont know

googling for android 6 + hd audio doesnt give satisfying results either
and searching here gives much results, where to look to in ALL those pages

if its true, just say so Martijn, a word from devs or team member is so much more....

If it is true, does it mean that all upcoming android 6 devices will support hd audio in kodi?
http://developer.android.com/reference/a...CODING_DTS

What is missing on that list is TrueHD but we know for sure it will come as well.

and to repeat what has been said several times

Quote:it's being worked on and it's supported when it's done
(2015-10-23, 13:27)Martijn Wrote: http://developer.android.com/reference/a...CODING_DTS

What is missing on that list is TrueHD but we know for sure it will come as well.

Thx mate
satisfying answer

Now anyone knows where to get one in the uk (not amazon) for a good price?
I found somewhere a link, but cant find it back
Directly from NVidia or ... Amazon France?
NB I'm from Italy and I bought it from Amazon France
(2015-10-23, 13:27)Martijn Wrote: http://developer.android.com/reference/a...CODING_DTS

i think #ENCODING_DTS it's specifies the method of compression audio encoding for DTS when record audio or video . #ENCODING_DTS_HD for DTS-HD.

i think may be right new API 23 method is #CHANNEL_OUT_7POINT1_SURROUND,
http://developer.android.com/reference/a...1_SURROUND, but there are no reference for bitstream HD audio ( also Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES support 7.1 )
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
(2015-10-23, 15:10)looun Wrote:

i think #ENCODING_DTS it's specifies the method of compression audio encoding for DTS when record audio or video . #ENCODING_DTS_HD for DTS-HD.

i think may be right method is
http://developer.android.com/reference/a...1_SURROUND, but there are no reference for bitstream HD audio ( also Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES support 7.1 )

No you are wrong. "Encoding" has absolutely NOTHING to do with recording.

It defines what format the audio is encoded so Android knows how to handle it.
(2015-10-23, 15:14)Martijn Wrote:
(2015-10-23, 15:10)looun Wrote:

i think may be right method is

No you are wrong. "Encoding" has absolutely NOTHING to do with recording.

It defines what format the audio is encoded so Android knows how to handle it.
ops sorry Big Grin
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
Are there any plans to integrate the AndroidTV search and recommendations functions with Kodi?
(2015-10-23, 08:02)ChicagoCoin Wrote: I'm new to this so excuse me, tried some searches but results were mixed.
I think I will purchase the Shield to replace 2 Mediasonic Homeworx converters with usb, purchased in the last year, discovered Kodi again after xbmc years ago and my head is spinning.Huh

My questions are mostly about displays, I have 3 tv's, my main Sony smart tv in the living room, another Samsung tv in the living room, dumb (no wifi or ethernet) and another dumb Sony tv in the bedroom, both of the dumb tv's have hdmi.
I have a Kinovo HS420 hdmi matrix, wondering if you think I could watch Kodi on the dumb tv's via hdmi?

I've read reviews about a possible solution for multiple displays with HDHomeRun but my other 2 tv's don't have ethernet or wifi and I don't care about phones or tablets.
If you believe the hdmi matrix would work, the Samsung is very close to me, the bedroom Sony (hdmi) would need a 25 foot cord.
(have an Onkyo receiver, harmony remote, and a rca universal remote in the bedroom)

One last question, I also have a Astro MixAmp connected to a Optical digital Matrix and Sennheiser headphones, just wondering if these will function with the Shield?

Thanks in advance for any input.

I'm by no means an expert on this, but I think you would want a Kodi device for each TV. If cost is a concern, the Raspberry Pi's are pretty inexpensive. You could certainly do it via HDMI switching and such, but you would only be able to have one playback at a time (every TV watching the same thing).

HDHomeRun's are for live TV only I believe, so they'll put your antenna signal on your Ethernet network for other computers in your house to view.
(2015-10-22, 23:15)ScottAllyn01 Wrote:
(2015-10-22, 22:38)jsteinm1 Wrote: Yikes, I should specify the remote must cost less than the Sheild Big Grin

I don't really have many devices, other than my TV, to turn on at this time. Main thing, just need a good remote for surfing the menus and such. Thanks for your guys' input.

This remote is inexpensive and works really well with the Shield TV:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00224ZDFY

The IR receiver that's bundled with it (which I use with my URC remote) is very sensitive; I can hold that remote under my shirt and press buttons and it'll still detect the presses.

Is there a remote similar to this that is Bluetooth to avoid the dongle and works for Kodi on the Shield out of the box? Or do I even need the IR dongle if the Shield has one built in?
  • 92(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9