• 221(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
I guess the old version will drop in price.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
Used, possibly. You won't be able to find it new.
(2017-01-05, 20:28)rodalpho Wrote: The old shieldTV is basically unavailable new.

You can buy a refurb for $170 on Amazon and save thirty bucks, and there are a bunch on eBay with "buy it now" prices around $175.
im crossing my fingers after the new one is available easily after the 16th the used prices drop and maybe current owners will sell theirs to update to the newest one. A man can dream.

(2017-01-05, 20:35)rodalpho Wrote: Yeah, I cheaped out and got a couple FireTVs, which honestly work fine. But I do have ShieldTV envy.

I have fire tvs too. And for the most part they have been ok. Nothing spectacular, and the screensaver kicking it back to the main menu is annoying (just stay in kodi dang it). But, update to Krypton and youll get annoying audio issues. Both on a 2.0 system and a 5.1 system I had to play around a lot to even make it work, and even then id get random drop outs or kodi crashes. Im sure itll be sorted out eventually but i was looking into setting up a htpc for emulationstation/kodi but was really put off by the janky or no solutions to use netflix and amazon with a remote. The shield solves that, gives me emulation (although not in as pretty a package as eumlationstation), and it can even run dolphin to boot. Its the best comprimise and far less in cost than a HTPC solution.
You're generally best off using MrMC or SPMC on Android. Kodi for Android is unfortunately not in active development.
(2017-01-05, 22:14)rodalpho Wrote: You're generally best off using MrMC or SPMC on Android. Kodi for Android is unfortunately not in active development.

I comfortably forgot about this fact.
Hearing it uttered again chills me Sad
(2017-01-05, 22:14)rodalpho Wrote: You're generally best off using MrMC or SPMC on Android. Kodi for Android is unfortunately not in active development.

I comfortably forgot about this fact.
Hearing it uttered again chills me Sad

Other thoughts:
Google say very little of android TV at IO this year, a bit of a shame.
Google still need to get it together and release an official Photos app for the AndroidTV.
Good to see the remote included.
Price still seems a bit high, it may be the most powerful.... I don't know... Maybe to some ppl out there the 'smart home ' idea is the attractive lure, thus the price. ....To me, not at all. I still think it's good and healthy to get up, go places, do stuff.
The gaming probably still a bit behind the times (grid) compared to consoles,
I guess this is quite an appealing box to high end gamer pc owners (as before).
Nice to see a smaller footprint - ps -- the pics show 500GB unit bigger than 16GB ---but is the 500GB still smaller than Gen1?
Overall, I guess some will say the price is fair, I think those ppl have some of the characteristics of the above points. Me... As with ver1, I am still a little bit hard to persuade when you consider what you can do with an xbone of ps4 for the price. Obviously though those boxes don't run kodi.
With SPMC, you also get voice support and suggested movie/TV posters from SPMC in the main Android leanback UI, which are nice.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Saw an article where a person was trying out the new Amazon Video app on the new Shield at CES.
It's 100% identical to the one that is already on the Sony Android TVs, except instead of being limited to 1080p it will support 4K HDR.
This is pretty disappointing since the user interface is pretty crappy (in my opinion) on that app. Also no voice search support at all, so we will have to still do searches one key at a time. That's a bummer.

From what I can tell, the new Shield has the EXACT same specs, minus the microSD slot / micro USB port. Which is why it's a smaller size.
The remote is now included(and also seems to include IR blaster now), but honestly they had so many promotions in the past year where they included the remote for free anyway, that I don't see that as a huge value for the $199 price.

I originally bought my Shield for $149.99 (including the free remote) during Black Friday 2015.
I really want a second Shield, but doubt I will buy it at the $199 price. Here's to hoping they have another $50 off sale in the future.
It's nice to see the remote included, but I would strongly prefer a $150 model without the gamepad. I can't imagine most people are buying a ShieldTV to play crappy android games or to pay to stream PC games over the internet.
(2017-01-05, 20:44)movie78 Wrote: I guess the old version will drop in price.

(2017-01-05, 20:59)thesuffering Wrote: im crossing my fingers after the new one is available easily after the 16th the used prices drop and maybe current owners will sell theirs to update to the newest one. A man can dream.

I wouldn't count on it. With the removal of the SD Card slot and USB 2.0 (type C) on the 16GB model there may be a lot of people looking for the gen 1.

(2017-01-05, 22:39)rodalpho Wrote: It's nice to see the remote included, but I would strongly prefer a $150 model without the gamepad. I can't imagine most people are buying a ShieldTV to play crappy android games or to pay to stream PC games over the internet.

You forgot streaming games from your PC, which, if you have a gaming PC and the games already, costs you nothing. Plus, there's the addition of the Steam app on the Shield, which a lot of people already use and will now be available to use on the Shield.

As for the "crappy" Android games, there are a some good quality games, some that are only available for the Shield and some that are coming later down the road.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Its Kodi "loss".

The Shield is the Media player to buy in 2017...again due the huge amount of features, apps etc that is packed in this BOX
If Kodi tomorow becomes incompatible with the Shield, for me would have minimal impact, because SATV has more that enough of "resources and alternatives" for media playback.
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

MrMC and SPMC basically are Kodi. They're forks, and do contribute back to Kodi. Their developers just had a falling out with the core Kodi team.
Does is still have the Android issue/behavior with regards to attached usb hdd paths being remapped when the unit is powered of and on?
Had that with the Minix and a few of the MXQ boxes...I currently use an HTPC with Windows for this and my hdd enclosures.
Would using SPMC change that at all, guessing not.
(2017-01-06, 00:08)Temujin Wrote: Does is still have the Android issue/behavior with regards to attached usb hdd paths being remapped when the unit is powered of and on?
Had that with the Minix and a few of the MXQ boxes...I currently use an HTPC with Windows for this and my hdd enclosures.
Would using SPMC change that at all, guessing not.

Well, I have a solution for this: https://github.com/koying/SPMC/pull/471
It still has to be properly field tested, though, as I don't use USB HDD myself...

PS For the technically minded, this mimics the linux ability to mount HDD by UUID. A droid app cannot do mounts, ofc, so a "virtual" mount point is created inside Kodi/SPMC which abstracts the actual one, which can vary between reboots (on linux, the device path as well, btw).

That being said, IIRC, the shield already does this as well:
Code:
/dev/block/vold/public:8,17 /mnt/media_rw/9041-87FB vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1023,gid=1023,fmask=0007,dmask=0007,allow_utime=0020,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

The /mnt/media_rw/9041-87FB looks like mount by UUID...
I orderd one at cyberport.de and it looks as if they got it in stock today.
My package is already being prepared for shippment so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Ill try to awnser them as soon as it arrives.
  • 221(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9