Linux Chromebox digital audio
Hello, recently set up Asus Chrombox with openelec. Really want Dolby sound. What is everyone's experience with this. I am looking to go with a usb soundcard, or a HDMI splitter with optical or coax output. Wondering which setup would be best, if any difference at all. Also found a cheap usb soundcard on ebay, but comes with disk. Anyone know if this will plug and play on the chromebox? Looks cheap, Im from the school of you get what u pay for. Thanks, Doug.

Here is the link to the usb soundcard. http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-External-Opt...5415d63b78
that should work fine, as should any of the ones listed in the ChromeBox wiki. But really, this has nothing to do with the ChromeBox - you just want a USB SPDIF adapter that's supported under OpenELEC, what you're connecting it to is irrelevant.
This is what you want

http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-Advan...0036VO4X4/

It will work perfectly fine with OpenElec and is cheap at only $25
(2015-03-06, 21:29)dougiefresh94 Wrote: Hello, recently set up Asus Chrombox with openelec. Really want Dolby sound. What is everyone's experience with this. I am looking to go with a usb soundcard, or a HDMI splitter with optical or coax output. Wondering which setup would be best, if any difference at all. Also found a cheap usb soundcard on ebay, but comes with disk. Anyone know if this will plug and play on the chromebox? Looks cheap, Im from the school of you get what u pay for. Thanks, Doug.

Here is the link to the usb soundcard. http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-External-Opt...5415d63b78

I'm probably a little confused but why wouldn't you just use HDMI and pass-through/bitstream to your receiver for dolby sound? Apologies if I missed where you stated limitations preventing this.
Not all amplifiers have HDMI in.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-03-07, 01:41)nickr Wrote: Not all amplifiers have HDMI in.

Yep, I'm aware of that. Just didn't hear the OP state that in his post. Carry on gents
No hdmi input to reciever.
Topken, does optical plug into the other end?
Also Topken, will I get true HD sound with that adapter?
I don't understand what you're asking. The adapter you linked has optical SPDIF output, which is capable of passing 5.1 DD/DTS. "TrueHD" is Dolby's lossless ("hi-def") compression scheme, which requires HDMI due to the bandwidth required (as does DTS-HD).
Dougie if your AVR doesn't have HDMI in then it does not support the Audio HD formats anyways so that is irrealivent in this case. The adapter I linked to does come with the needed 3.5mm to toslink adapter needed for optical connections.
(2015-03-12, 04:14)Topken Wrote: Dougie if your AVR doesn't have HDMI in then it does not support the Audio HD formats anyways so that is irrealivent in this case. The adapter I linked to does come with the needed 3.5mm to toslink adapter needed for optical connections.

it's also one listed on the ChromeBox wiki, and the one I use myself
Matt that is why I linked to it because I know it will work perfectly with Openelec and will do what Dougie wants minus HD audio since if his AVR/receiver doesn't have HDMI in then it doesn't support HD audio anyways and is a mute point. I don't know if the one he linked to will work in openelec or not but the one I linked to is a well known toslink adapter that works perfectly with Openelec.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Chromebox digital audio1