OpenELEC or RaspBMC for Kodi with browser?
I have ordered a couple of RPI 2 boxes from as aliexpress (hope they are the real stuff and not cheap imitations). I was considering OpenELEC for installation. However my buddy for whom the 2nd box was intended, needs some sort of a web browser.

Like I said, I preferred OpenELEC. However I believe this can not be done with it. OTOH, Raspbmc is end of life...

What would you propose?
Use Rasbian + manual Kodi install or OSMC (which is what Raspbmc is now called) and install the Epiphany web browser.

Code:
sudo apt-get install epiphany-browser
With raspian you can install chromium, it's a chrome "alike".

Now you have two choices. Test both an see what is the best for you.

If Openelec had Chromium there was no discussion about.
Thank you both for the information. Which one would you recommend between Raspbian+Chromium and Raspbmc/OSMC+Epiphany? Use of the box will be 99% multimedia plus a very minor web surfing.

Furthermore, is the browser launching from both of these platforms easy? Is it launched from within Kodi or else? And can one simply exit the web browser to return to Kodi?

Chromium is more advanced as a browser indd, but web use will be very minor. The main point here will be stability.
Well... i didn't test raspbmc/OSMC+Epiphany but for your usage profile it surely seems to be the better choice. I think epiphany runs inside the raspbmc/OSMC but i'm not sure.

Raspbian+Chromium you will have to be on raspbian itself to run chromium. Chromium and Kodi are applications on raspian OS, ie, you will have to run chromium to web surf or run Kodi if you want entertainment centre.You can use epiphany on Raspian too.
OSMC is getting a web browser very shortly that works with remote controls as well..

S
(2015-03-14, 22:41)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: OSMC is getting a web browser very shortly that works with remote controls as well..

S

very very shortly OpenELEC too Nod
greetings, Stephan

(2015-03-15, 04:26)sraue Wrote:
(2015-03-14, 22:41)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: OSMC is getting a web browser very shortly that works with remote controls as well..

S

Really? Excellent. Any more details?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-03-15, 04:26)sraue Wrote:

S

I will be very impressed if either team can get Chromium to work with Netflix or any other paid streams with DRM.
This is already possible with work done by Eric Hameleers, running Chromium on Slackware.

Details here:
http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/watch-ne...-for-real/

We all know how both teams like to butt heads, so let the challenge begin ! Wink

Very impressive news there! Will keep track of both solutions Smile :thumbsup:
(2015-03-15, 05:30)wrxtasy Wrote: I will be very impressed if either team can get Chromium to work with Netflix or any other paid streams with DRM.
This is already possible with work done by Eric Hameleers, running Chromium on Slackware.

Details here:
http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/watch-ne...-for-real/

Interesting. It still relies on copying the binary library libwidevine.so from an authorised platform.
While they have a suitable one for x86 I'm not sure if there is a suitable arm one.

I believe there has been an arm/android libwidevine.so, but (from here):
Quote:it was my understanding from looking at other widevine implementations for Android that you need to have secure-boot with authorized keys installed on your platform

I suspect it won't just run on a non-secure, non-android platform.
also its not allowed to release something more or less officially based on this "hack"
greetings, Stephan

(2015-03-15, 15:52)sraue Wrote: also its not allowed to release something more or less officially based on this "hack"

You don't have to distribute the libwidevine.so directly, just make use of it if it exists (e.g. installed through an unofficial repo).
However there is no evidence that this is even feasible (on arm) yet.
I'd like to ask if in the context of OpenELEC the inclusion of a browser is related to the Chromium unofficial addon here: http://openelec.tv/forum/chromium-browse...repository

If so, then this won't work on my OE boxes, since they are RPi2 boxes and according to the addon's author, this platform will not be supported.
(2015-03-15, 15:02)popcornmix Wrote: Interesting. It still relies on copying the binary library libwidevine.so from an authorised platform.
While they have a suitable one for x86 I'm not sure if there is a suitable arm one.

I believe there has been an arm/android libwidevine.so, but (from here):
Quote:it was my understanding from looking at other widevine implementations for Android that you need to have secure-boot with authorized keys installed on your platform

I suspect it won't just run on a non-secure, non-android platform.

libnetflixhelper.so from an ARM-based Chromebook will work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC or RaspBMC for Kodi with browser?0