v14 Intel HD4600 (Windows Based HTPC)
Question 
Hi Guys,

So I just completed my first HTPC build will the below specs, running Windows 8.1 Kodi Helix Beta1.

Intel Haswell Core i5-4690S
MSI H97I AC LGA1150
Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR3-1600
OCZ Vector 150 120GB SSD
Lian Li PC-Q12B Mini-ITX Tower

My issue is the picture quality. I do get screen tearing as well as fuzzy/grainy pixelated video playback. I need some help with the setup of Kodi as well as perhaps setup of the Intel HD4600 graphics in windows.

Could some of you experts provide a step-by-step guide or assistance?

Regards,

Tomas
You need to disable all video anhancements in driver settings.
1. Go to Windows Control Panel.
2. Open Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel
3. Go to Video section.
4. Set all settings to 'Application Settings' value.
So the screen tearing is gone now but I still have the pixelation whilst video playback.

Any specific acceleration settings or settings that I need to configure?
(2015-03-13, 18:50)Tomas1981 Wrote: So the screen tearing is gone now but I still have the pixelation whilst video playback.

Any specific acceleration settings or settings that I need to configure?

Choose Software for Decoding and Software for Rendering. That is usually the safest bet. Otherwise, the blame is probably on the content you are using not the player. It is pretty hard to screw-up the video quality in Kodi as there are few settings to adjust. If garbage content is fed in, garbage will be spit out. The pixelation you are describing sounds like compression artifacts created when a video is dramatically reduced from its original size. Such pixelation will be very apparent on a big screen television. Feeding your computer ripped Blu-rays with a program such as MakeMKV would result in the best picture. Anything else is a compromise.

If you are really obsessive about picture quality, I would try the combination below, which is the best you can do in the HTPC world. But it does come with some sacrifices in usability:

HOW TO - Launch MPC-HC/MPC-BE with madVR as an External Player

If you are still not happy with the picture, there is nothing that can be done. Upgrading your TV and/or content is about all you can do.
(2015-03-13, 08:21)Tomas1981 Wrote: Hi Guys,

So I just completed my first HTPC build will the below specs, running Windows 8.1 Kodi Helix Beta1.

MSI H97I AC LGA1150
OCZ Vector 150 120GB SSD

My issue is the picture quality. I do get screen tearing as well as fuzzy/grainy pixelated video playback. I need some help with the setup of Kodi as well as perhaps setup of the Intel HD4600 graphics in windows.

Regards,

Tomas

I'm running with Haswell HD and had the same issue. I made everything "application settings" under my graphics options. I made sure Kodi was set at limited color space 16-235, and it's default in Intel's control panel (HDTV). I'm running DXVA2 per instruction here (my thread) with Lanc2. By doing all this I seem to have fixed the same issues you are having. I also installed LAV filters, however am told it doesn't make a difference after all?
Kodi doesn't use external filter like LAVFilters. Unless you use certain branch (DSPlayer)
(2015-03-14, 06:14)Odigo Wrote:
(2015-03-13, 08:21)Tomas1981 Wrote: Hi Guys,

MSI H97I AC LGA1150
OCZ Vector 150 120GB SSD

Regards,

Tomas

I'm running with Haswell HD and had the same issue. I made everything "application settings" under my graphics options. I made sure Kodi was set at limited color space 16-235, and it's default in Intel's control panel (HDTV). I'm running DXVA2 per instruction here (my thread) with Lanc2. By doing all this I seem to have fixed the same issues you are having. I also installed LAV filters, however am told it doesn't make a difference after all?

So I have been struggling for a bit now and still the issue is the same. Quite frustrating compared to just plugging in a media player and all works 100%. LOL.

How do I get Lanc2 and other codecs/filters to show up under the correct section. I do not have any of those in my settings.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=170855

Refer to above thread. If all else fails look into a external player with MadVR. I did this for a while too:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=209596
If you need more help send me a message. I can show you photos of my settings
Kodi DVDPlayer Render Settings

This should help with understanding what each setting does.

FYI, DXVA-HD rendering with Software decoding should result in the best outcome with that graphics card.

DSPlayer is in the process of adding madVR support, which would offer a small upgrade, but it will likely never be as stable and user-friendly as DVDPlayer. If you are obsessed with picture quality, this would make you the most happy:

HOW TO - Configure Kodi DSPlayer with LAV Filters & madVR

You would get the biggest upgrade in picture quality by upgrading your TV and then your sources. Scaling can only do so much.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel HD4600 (Windows Based HTPC)0