WIP Chromecast prerooted with KODI
hi guys i just got chromecast it updated already obviously and rooting appears to be out of the question. if any1 can tell me how i can open up the chromecast so i can actually install my own apps manually or from the play store on it or a similar device which will allow me to access the playstore or at the very least allow me to install apk's that would be spectacular. i thought for sure it was going to be simple like rooting a phone than flashing a custom rom with android 4.4.2 or something than installing apps and using it as an android hdmi dongle with cast support but that seems to be much more complicated than expected. can anyone lay down some facts i have already read the 7 pages of threads about this no real answers directly to this question that i'm aware of and the thread is closed...

KODI Mirrorcast was an older post of mine may wanna give it a look but i see i was late to the party.. Wink

to you devs whoever can tell me the exact way about it i need to learn programming (start with python i'm guessing) and get me set up so i can start helping you guys i will make the donation worth your while.. at least $100 bucks

long live xbmc.......

im 31 with basic understanding of programming fundamentals and a tiny bit of exp with python.
I WANT TO START CODING FOR THE TEAM plz help me get their...

EDIT: I just want to add that i have been down with xbmc since i switched my HDD on my orginal xbox what seems like decades ago and booted up XBMC for the first time opening up my mind and my awareness of what was possible. I am not a user who sees KODI as a media player.. I see it as the answer to soo many questions that haven't even been asked yet. I really hope I can get with someone who has the skill and I can contribute to the cause..
You can't run kodi on a chromecast, and I have not seen anyone talking about running android on a chromecast.

Why don't you buy a computer that will run kodi out of the box, like an android computer (and install from the apk), or a chromebox (and install openelec or ubuntu).

kodi is written in c++, not python. The code is available on github. https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc

Addons are written in python.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Also pretty sure that the Chromecast itself does not run an full Android operation-system capable of running standard APK executable packages even if you managed to root it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromecast#...ing_system

And as far as I know no one have so far flashed a custom rom with Android 4.x onto the the Chromecast hardware.

My tip to you is just buy a "MK808B Plus" instead, that is a cheap yet quire powerful HDMI stick hardware that supports running both Android firmware and OpenELEC Linux.

http://kodi.wiki/view/MK808B_Plus

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Chromecast prerooted with KODI0