• 26(current)
Win HOW TO - Configure Kodi DSPlayer with LAV Filters, XySubFilter & madVR
Sorry if this has already been addressed, i tried searching...

Has anyone came up with a list of the highest possible quality settings? With so many different settings to play with what combination produces the highest quality result? I am using an 5930K OC'd to 4.8GHz with a 980ti OC'd to 1500Mhz Core for my HTPC hooked up to a 4K TV that I wanted to have madVR do the upscaling instead of the TV handle that as madVR will probably do a better job.
(2016-03-24, 23:07)nvous23 Wrote: Sorry if this has already been addressed, i tried searching...

Has anyone came up with a list of the highest possible quality settings? With so many different settings to play with what combination produces the highest quality result? I am using an 5930K OC'd to 4.8GHz with a 980ti OC'd to 1500Mhz Core for my HTPC hooked up to a 4K TV that I wanted to have madVR do the upscaling instead of the TV handle that as madVR will probably do a better job.

The best settings change all the time as the program is being updated every two weeks or so with experimental features.

As of madVr v0.90.17, I would go with these settings for 1080p -> 4K upscaling:
  • Chroma: Reconstruction sharp AR
  • Image: Jinc3 + AR
  • Double Luma: 2x or greater - NNEDI3 32 to 256 neurons
  • Double Chroma: Off
  • Upscaling refinement: SuperRes (3) (no AB or AR)
  • Artifact removal - Debanding: Medium/High
  • Image enhancements: Off
  • Dithering: Error Diffusion 2
This is open to interpretation as sharpening values could change from person to person and display to display. SuperRes is generally regarded as the best image sharpening shader; Reconstruction the best chroma upscaler; NNEDI3 the best image doubler; Jinc the best image upscaler; Error Diffusion the best dithering algorithm. But your preferences could be different than mine or someone else's.

You might want to try adding crispen edges, as well. But that could make things too sharp.

Edit: I changed the settings one more time based on my own findings.
Trying this to get 3D working with my NUC and while I get a working SBS showing from my MVC MKV right out of the box, it's very choppy. I'm wondering if it's because I use an aggressive cache setting in advancedsettings.xml on vanilla Jarvis, and perhaps that doesn't carry over to DSPlayer?

My unit:

Comparative PC Configurations
Aspect ASRock Beebox N3000-NUC
CPU Intel Celeron N3000
GPU Intel HD Graphics (Gen8-LP)

Win10

It's choppy on both 2D and 3D movies.

Sorry if this is covered, my search didn't turn up an answer.
(2016-04-27, 19:08)Squeebee Wrote: Trying this to get 3D working with my NUC and while I get a working SBS showing from my MVC MKV right out of the box, it's very choppy. I'm wondering if it's because I use an aggressive cache setting in advancedsettings.xml on vanilla Jarvis, and perhaps that doesn't carry over to DSPlayer?

My unit:

CPU Intel Celeron N3000

Win10

Is the player dropping frames? That iGPU isn't very powerful. You might be better off using DVDPlayer for 3D movies. I can only manage the default settings with 2D movies using an HD 3000.
(2016-04-27, 19:37)Warner306 Wrote:
(2016-04-27, 19:08)Squeebee Wrote: Trying this to get 3D working with my NUC and while I get a working SBS showing from my MVC MKV right out of the box, it's very choppy. I'm wondering if it's because I use an aggressive cache setting in advancedsettings.xml on vanilla Jarvis, and perhaps that doesn't carry over to DSPlayer?

My unit:

CPU Intel Celeron N3000

Win10

Is the player dropping frames? That iGPU isn't very powerful. You might be better off using DVDPlayer for 3D movies. I can only manage the default settings with 2D movies using an HD 3000.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah it's dropping frames big time, just fine on 2D actually (I mistook when I said 2D was an issue, I just had to update the Intel driver).

My challenge is that a vanilla install shows a 3D menu, but doesn't show the 3D movie, I wind up with half the movie in my right eye, half the movie in my left (without glasses I see a 2D movie with SBS overlays.
(2016-04-27, 19:43)Squeebee Wrote:
(2016-04-27, 19:37)Warner306 Wrote:

My unit:

CPU Intel Celeron N3000

Win10

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah it's dropping frames big time, just fine on 2D actually (I mistook when I said 2D was an issue, I just had to update the Intel driver).

My challenge is that a vanilla install shows a 3D menu, but doesn't show the 3D movie, I wind up with half the movie in my right eye, half the movie in my left (without glasses I see a 2D movie with SBS overlays.

Krypton v17 offers further improvement to 3D playback. You may want to check it out.
Hi guys.
I am using DSPlayer with LAV filters and Xysubfilter. I use 2.4:1 screen (CIH) and got to move the subtitles into the movie area. For embedded subs, with the zoom options on madvr I can set the subtitles into the active area cutting off the black bars. But that doens´t work for external subs!
Any sugestions?
Thanks a lot for your work!
(2016-05-02, 17:14)Ezequiel Wrote: Hi guys.
I am using DSPlayer with LAV filters and Xysubfilter. I use 2.4:1 screen (CIH) and got to move the subtitles into the movie area. For embedded subs, with the zoom options on madvr I can set the subtitles into the active area cutting off the black bars. But that doens´t work for external subs!
Any sugestions?
Thanks a lot for your work!

I don't have an answer. This would have to be asked in the madVR Doom9 Forum.
pretty sure harware acceleration isnt working with LAV 68 for 3D MVC playback,cant get it to work even with MPC using it as an external filter. For those wanting to play 3D MVC MKV files you might be out of luck.

I am however using an ATI card, it may work with INTEL or NVIDA cards. My system plays the files but it hammers the CPU so playback is choppy.
(2016-05-06, 00:41)stoolzo Wrote: pretty sure harware acceleration isnt working with LAV 68 for 3D MVC playback,cant get it to work even with MPC using it as an external filter. For those wanting to play 3D MVC MKV files you might be out of luck.

I am however using an ATI card, it may work with INTEL or NVIDA cards. My system plays the files but it hammers the CPU so playback is choppy.

The 3D MVC decoder used by LAV Video is a software (CPU) decoder.
yeah, I've find that out now, nobody seems to have know that though, its not made very clear anywhere. This means stereocopic player is still the only software that will hardware accelerate 3D MVC MKV rips.

cheers.
every decent CPU can decode MVC with ease.
first of thank you Warner306 for the great indeph guide, it does explain things in a simple way for me that's new to setting up my own HTPC. I followed the guide with success except for the madvr part that doesn't seem to work 100%.

My setup is a LG OLED 4K with a HTPC running a gtx950 card. it is set up as 8bit full RGB@4K resolution. When i play a file in Kodi and i put up madvr overlay i notice under chroma upscaling it says DXVA and not super-xpr that i selected in the config while on the other hand if i playback the same file in MPC-HC with lavfilters 68.1 it tells me it's using super-xpr. I noticed that i could only get it to use super-xpr when using QUVID as hardware acceleration and not DXVA2 copy-back (both kodi and mpc lav filters are setup with quvid).

here are screenshots of both playbacks:

lav filters under MPC-HC: http://pasteboard.co/15yYPCTz.png
lav filters under Kodi: http://pasteboard.co/15z1dCha.png

i also see that under MPC it report NV12, 8bit , 4:2:0 but under Kodi it report H264, 8bit, 4:2:0 > NV12 > 8bit, 4:2:0 .. also 25fps vs 50fps .. not sure what this could mean

i also noticed that properties windows for filters in kodi are being clipped: http://pasteboard.co/15z4ea9y.png .. no idea why this is happening
(2016-05-21, 15:45)mrchisholm Wrote: first of thank you Warner306 for the great indeph guide, it does explain things in a simple way for me that's new to setting up my own HTPC. I followed the guide with success except for the madvr part that doesn't seem to work 100%.

My setup is a LG OLED 4K with a HTPC running a gtx950 card. it is set up as 8bit full RGB@4K resolution. When i play a file in Kodi and i put up madvr overlay i notice under chroma upscaling it says DXVA and not super-xpr that i selected in the config while on the other hand if i playback the same file in MPC-HC with lavfilters 68.1 it tells me it's using super-xpr. I noticed that i could only get it to use super-xpr when using QUVID as hardware acceleration and not DXVA2 copy-back (both kodi and mpc lav filters are setup with quvid).

here are screenshots of both playbacks:

lav filters under MPC-HC: http://pasteboard.co/15yYPCTz.png
lav filters under Kodi: http://pasteboard.co/15z1dCha.png

i also see that under MPC it report NV12, 8bit , 4:2:0 but under Kodi it report H264, 8bit, 4:2:0 > NV12 > 8bit, 4:2:0 .. also 25fps vs 50fps .. not sure what this could mean

i also noticed that properties windows for filters in kodi are being clipped: http://pasteboard.co/15z4ea9y.png .. no idea why this is happening

Did you choose "Load from madVR active profile" in DSPlayer settings? That could be the problem. You want to load your settings from the madVR control panel.
yeah i checked that and it's enabled, all settings seem to be saved as they should
  • 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Configure Kodi DSPlayer with LAV Filters, XySubFilter & madVR7