How to install Kodi 14.2 stable?
Hello,

Hmmm, guess i'm lacking some basic linux knowledge.. Hope, someone can give me the right hint.

I installed Kodibuntu on my HTPC a while ago and stayed with Kodi 14.0 some time. All working very nice! Now I wanted to upgrade to 14.2 stable.
So I did
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
and it told me update of Kodi was kept back. Ok, I read difference between upgrade and dist-upgrade and did
Code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
but to my surprise it installed Kodi 15.0 Alpha.

Where do I configure apt-get to retrieve Kodi 14.2?
And should I stay now with 15.0 Alpha or could I go back to 14.2 safely? (Just thought it might have upgraded the settings or database and I might not get back?)

Thanks in advance,
o_neill
You can safely stay on 15.0 alpha2.
If you still want to go back:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1972834
You'll have to uninstall kodi first.
I won't say anything else as wsnipex did, but to make things clear (and I'm just do a little guess Smile)

@ o_neill:

As you said you installed kodibuntu a while ago, it could be, that the unstable PPA was installed on this. And as you updated and dist-upgraded this installation, kodi 15 alpha 2 was installed which is now the available nightly on the download page.

So using kodi 15 alpha2 won't hurt. Except you are getting issues. So you can either choose to use it and be one of the ppl who benefits from new features or go "back" to the stable version and wait until 15 is stable, too.

In all cases, if you want to install kodi 15 stable somedays, you have to change the ppa like wsnipex mentioned in the thread he linked to. Otherwise you will stay at nightly and you will then get kodi 16 "jarhead" (or whatever it will be named Wink)
Yes, I see, thanks for your replies! It now makes all sense. Indeed, my Kodibuntu used unstable ppa.
I think I will stay with the Alpha for now and will switch to stable ppa later like David1977 proposed.

Thanks again!
o_neill
So I just downloaded and installed the version from the main download page and was surprised to find it was 14.0. I did the upgrade procedure and ended up with a release client. What is the command to type to get the 14.2 stable release?

I have a clean install so if I need to start over I'm fine with that.
The link wsnipex posted explains it.

Enter
Code:
sudo apt-cache policy | grep team-xbmc
to check what ppa your installation is using.

If you want to use only stable releases, it should say "stable" ppa and not "unstable" or "nightly.
Stable currently should include 14.2. Unstable currently points to 15.0 Alpha 2.
You can remove the unstable ppa, add the stable ppa and then do a new update like described in the link.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to install Kodi 14.2 stable?0