Req A seperate General Support sub forum for all Chromebox Hardware.
Hi all,

I don't know if I'm having a bad day, but the number of new users asking for Chromebox - Kodi installation support questions and post Kodi install questions in this Hardware section of the forums is over the top. 4 separate new threads in the last two days alone and there is at least an equal number in the Hardware sticky thread every couple of days.

Is this the purpose of the Hardware subforum, to turn it into a Chromebox support centre ?

Matt Devo has done a fantastic job supporting the Chromebox and is a primary reason this very capable beastie is so popular as a Kodi media device.
But the 273 page Chromebox Setup thread has had its time and is no longer a good idea, its completely intimidating for a Newb user and I suspect the reason why so many new Chromebox threads pop up each week.

I respectfully request a further Subforum be opened up for just Chromebox hardware support, its long overdue.

Please include threads such as these:

- ASUS / HP / Acer Chromeboxes
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=194362

- HP Steam Mini
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=213874

- Zotac BI320
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=211925

- Chromebox working Keyboards List

And god knows how many separate threads just asking for remote control recommendations.

Thanks.

I don't think a new sub-forum is needed, I think the spurt of new threads recently is largely due to users not reading both the first post of the EZ Setup script thread and the wiki before posting their question(s). Googling ChromeBox + just about anything brings up the wiki page within the first 5 hits, so it's really just a matter of people being lazy IMO.

Plus, if we have a subforum for mobile Haswell-based devices, then why not one for NUCs, for RPIs, etc.

I'm open to revising/re-structuring both my script thread and wiki if there's missing info not contained there, but I think I've done a pretty good job of adding info when issues arise/are solved in the thread so I'm not sure what's missing at this point.
(2015-04-10, 06:08)Matt Devo Wrote: Plus, if we have a subforum for mobile Haswell-based devices, then why not one for NUCs, for RPIs, etc.

I still strongly disagree, reasons why....

1) There is already a General Support sub forum for RPi's so that a moot point.

2) NUC users are not in the habit of polluting the Hardware forum with general NUC support questions.

3) Its getting ridiculous the number of separate threads just on Chromebox questions alone each week. We now see users polluting poofyhairedguy's Hardware sticky thread as well.

4) Popularity of the Chromebox.

5) So you and I don't get in the Habit of writing RTFW to Newbs that seem to want personal attention constantly.

I cannot be the only member thats a bit sick of seeing every second thread asking for Chromebox support.

(2015-04-10, 07:11)wrxtasy Wrote: I cannot be the only member thats a bit sick of seeing every second thread asking for Chromebox support.

don't get me started. Might be time for me to move on to another project - this one's in a good place, and I've taken it about as far as I can.
(2015-04-10, 07:11)wrxtasy Wrote: I cannot be the only member thats a bit sick of seeing every second thread asking for Chromebox support.

Just ignore threads you don't like.. I have no interest in all the nfo manager, pvr and addon stuff and I am simply ignoring them.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
I've got nothing against Chromebox or any other platform for that matter, just though it would be nice to get a bit of a tidy up of this part of the forum thats all.

If its all too hard, I'll just shutup.

Matt D has opened the can of Chromebox worms, no hope in hell putting 'em back in as they are wriggling all over the forums.

Ok time to investigate the ignore option then.

(2015-04-10, 08:51)Matt Devo Wrote:

don't get me started. Might be time for me to move on to another project - this one's in a good place, and I've taken it about as far as I can.

And where you've taken it is amazing Matt Devo. Your hard work on this is hugely appreciated by many of us.
Let me preface this post by stating that I'm one of the new threads with ChromeBox questions in this sub-forum. The sentiment that newbs are lazy is on all forums. I don't understand the animosity of new users asking questions about their specific issues. Yes there is a search tool and it should be used before posting to try and find the answer to your troubles, however, with peripherals and custom coding such as is being done with Kodi, sifting through the search results to find a VERY specific answer can not only be daunting but unfruitful. From my perspective, I like to plan out everything in advance and usually have more than 1-2 questions. My questions are also usually very specific to a particular configuration/hardware component.

I started my ChromeBox thread in this part of the forum because I didn't think there was another good place to post it. I do agree that a dedicated sub-forum for Chromebox is a good idea just for that fact. Not just from a newbies perspective but also to aid in finding information more readily. My first time visiting this forum was on Monday and I'm researching and researching about how to get my Chromebox up and running with not only Kodi, but also all of my other AV gear. With that said, I could not readily (within a half hour of reading searched posts) find my answers. The other thing is that I usually have follow-up questions pertaining to my original inquiry and therefore would have to dig and dig even further to find the answers to those questions.

Forums are not easy to manage. I understand that, but there are times when asking questions that pertain to something that could have been found by searching can help others. The EZ Setup thread is great, but a catch-all thread like that is a PITA to navigate and find what you're looking for. A forum is a platform for finding and sharing information. It's for that reason that Newbies like me shouldn't feel animosity for asking a question or two. Furthermore, I do understand that a lot of the threads asking for help could be avoided by using the search tool, but sometimes finding those answers just raises more questions which are particular to someones situation.

Please keep in mind that I'm not new to XBMC having configured and used it back in and prior to 2006 when it was on a hard-modded original Xbox. So I haven't used it in a long time and now coming back around to it now that it's Kodi and certainly a more robust piece of software. I'm all for trial and error, but usually end up using forums to plan my configuration before I even get the hardware!

I admire and appreciate all that Matt has done for Kodi and the use and configuration of the Chromebox. In effect it has saved me time and $ by finding the perfect solution for my HT media source needs. So, thank you, thank you and thank you again.
(2015-04-10, 04:46)wrxtasy Wrote: Hi all,

I don't know if I'm having a bad day, but the number of new users asking for Chromebox - Kodi installation support questions and post Kodi install questions in this Hardware section of the forums is over the top. 4 separate new threads in the last two days alone and there is at least an equal number in the Hardware sticky thread every couple of days.

Is this the purpose of the Hardware subforum, to turn it into a Chromebox support centre ?

Matt Devo has done a fantastic job supporting the Chromebox and is a primary reason this very capable beastie is so popular as a Kodi media device.
But the 273 page Chromebox Setup thread has had its time and is no longer a good idea, its completely intimidating for a Newb user and I suspect the reason why so many new Chromebox threads pop up each week.

I respectfully request a further Subforum be opened up for just Chromebox hardware support, its long overdue.

Please include threads such as these:

- ASUS / HP / Acer Chromeboxes
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=194362

- HP Steam Mini
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=213874

- Zotac BI320
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=211925

- Chromebox working Keyboards List

And god knows how many separate threads just asking for remote control recommendations.

Thanks.

(2015-04-10, 15:34)mpednault Wrote: Let me preface this post by stating that I'm one of the new threads with ChromeBox questions in this sub-forum. The sentiment that newbs are lazy is on all forums. I don't understand the animosity of new users asking questions about their specific issues. Yes there is a search tool and it should be used before posting to try and find the answer to your troubles, however, with peripherals and custom coding such as is being done with Kodi, sifting through the search results to find a VERY specific answer can not only be daunting but unfruitful. From my perspective, I like to plan out everything in advance and usually have more than 1-2 questions. My questions are also usually very specific to a particular configuration/hardware component.

I started my ChromeBox thread in this part of the forum because I didn't think there was another good place to post it. I do agree that a dedicated sub-forum for Chromebox is a good idea just for that fact. Not just from a newbies perspective but also to aid in finding information more readily. My first time visiting this forum was on Monday and I'm researching and researching about how to get my Chromebox up and running with not only Kodi, but also all of my other AV gear. With that said, I could not readily (within a half hour of reading searched posts) find my answers. The other thing is that I usually have follow-up questions pertaining to my original inquiry and therefore would have to dig and dig even further to find the answers to those questions.

Forums are not easy to manage. I understand that, but there are times when asking questions that pertain to something that could have been found by searching can help others. The EZ Setup thread is great, but a catch-all thread like that is a PITA to navigate and find what you're looking for. A forum is a platform for finding and sharing information. It's for that reason that Newbies like me shouldn't feel animosity for asking a question or two. Furthermore, I do understand that a lot of the threads asking for help could be avoided by using the search tool, but sometimes finding those answers just raises more questions which are particular to someones situation.

Please keep in mind that I'm not new to XBMC having configured and used it back in and prior to 2006 when it was on a hard-modded original Xbox. So I haven't used it in a long time and now coming back around to it now that it's Kodi and certainly a more robust piece of software. I'm all for trial and error, but usually end up using forums to plan my configuration before I even get the hardware!

I admire and appreciate all that Matt has done for Kodi and the use and configuration of the Chromebox. In effect it has saved me time and $ by finding the perfect solution for my HT media source needs. So, thank you, thank you and thank you again.

My opinion on this matter are that are many variations of newbs. The three main ones that I observe are:
  • The Questioner - They will ask questions to satisfy their curiosity despite the fact that the answer is located elsewhere. Usually this is to get an answer tailored to their thought process so that they can understand it better.
  • The Lurker: Tend to observe, read, and implement where they can or feel comfortable doing before asking questions. Their questions tend to be well thought out and thorough as to prevent others from having to "pull teeth" in order to find out the real question.
  • The High-Count - Tend to have a high post count and flair (title) to their name without the knowledge and experience that is normally associated with such metrics. Tends to ask questions that already have been answered or add unnecessary content to a discussion.

I believe wrxtasy is referring to the first and last categorizations that I outlined mpednault. We would fall the middle categorization as we'll seek out the answer either by reading elsewhere or trying to work out the problem ourselves. Only after exhausting our search do we ask thorough questions including what we did previously to try and find the answers to said questions.

I personally don't mind that a Chromebox be created as it will clear up the hardware support forum. That then begs the questions of peripherals, Android STBs, ARM hardware, and x86 hardware having their own forums and leaving the hardware forum as a general catch-all for topics that don't quite fit in any of the sub-forums.
It's not a bad idea, but I think I'd prefer to see a sub-forum for all the Android based hardware. But that's personal preference because I generally have no interest in Android hardware.
(2015-04-10, 04:46)wrxtasy Wrote: Hi all,

I don't know if I'm having a bad day,

I am new here but not new to support forums. I have spent countless hours answering questions and repeating myself over and over and over... well you get it.

My answer is that you are having a bad day. Forums like this are what they are and you can get really pissed about it but there is nothing you can do to fix it. Subdividing the forums more causes more work for moderators and in a few months you might find yourself annoyed at something else.

You really only have a few options:
1) Get mad which accomplishes nothing
2) Let it go and do your best to ignore it which might buy you some more time before;
3) Take a nice long break and recharge your patience meter.

No judgment from me, I have made these kinds of threads myself too many times to throw stones.

Personally if I sign up and ask some questions as I have, I do my best to stick around long enough to answer some questions because I know what you guys go through. I don't know that much outside of media management but I might find someone to help. But just because I do that doesn't mean anyone else will and I bet that the majority of people who have signed up here have 5 or less posts.
I have been feeling this way about the Android hardware....

Maybe a subforum set up like this would be more manageable? Now prebuilt is along the lines of the the Chromebox and mini PC stuff.

-Discussion-
--Hardware
----Android hardware(subforum to Hardware)
----Prebuilt PC(subforum to Hardware)

(2015-04-10, 12:26)noggin Wrote:
(2015-04-10, 08:51)Matt Devo Wrote:

And where you've taken it is amazing Matt Devo. Your hard work on this is hugely appreciated by many of us.

Most definitely this.

Personally, I don't feel the need for a sub forum, but I wouldn't be opposed to the idea either as topics concerning Mini PCs of all sorts and barebones do make up a rather large part of the hardware forum.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A seperate General Support sub forum for all Chromebox Hardware.0