Kodi questions for new user
I've just purchased a Raspberry Pi 2 and installed OpenELEC. I love the interface and general performance of things but I had a few questions:

Question 1: How do you move artwork from an individual file to the parent folder?
One of my movies downloaded info/artwork for the wrong film. After correcting it, it seems like the info/artwork is associated to the movie file rather than the parent folder. It's only noticeable when I view the movies via Video -> Files and scroll through the movie folders. How can I correct this?

Question 2: I need to switch my system to a new SD card, how can I do this so that everything is moved over? Can I setup the new card using Win32 Disk Imager and then just copy over the contents of the main partition of the new card?

Question 3: Is there a way to change the background colour for Confluence? I really like Confluence and want to use it in two user profiles I've setup but I wanted the background colour to be different so I can differentiate easily. Is this possible?

Question 4: Is it possible to speed playback of a video along with the audio? Some content I watch is quite slow so I find it ok to speed it up to about 1.3x speed without degrading the viewing experience.

Question 5: The movie tagging support is a little limited and has a very non-obviousness way to manage and access it. Are there any plans to improve this? Seems like you can only manage tags by going to Videos -> Library -> Movies -> Tags.

Question 6: Is there a way to remember the last known played position by default for all videos? So that when I continue playing, it will resume from that point? I know this can be achieved via bookmarks but I wanted something that would do this by itself.

Question 7: I've tried a few themes and other add-ons that I've then not liked. Is there a way to remove the add-on so it's no longer in the list of ones that it can be switched too? (i.e. change it back to the state before I downloaded it).

Question 8: Can I copy movies to the spare space on the MicroSD card?
My Pi is streaming videos from a network hard drive but occasionally I'd like to take the Pi to a friends house where I won't have access to my network hard drive. Can I copy a subset of the movies to the spare space on the MicroSD card? If I did this while still at home, will it show duplicate movie items in the menu for the ones that are on the network and the memory card or will it somehow consolidate it into one menu item? When I'm away from home, will it hide the movies that were on my network and will those movies re-appear when I next use the Pi when I'm on my network?

I'm sure I'll have more questions but that's all for now.

TIA
(2015-04-10, 11:54)technostreamer Wrote: Question 2: I need to switch my system to a new SD card, how can I do this so that everything is moved over? Can I setup the new card using Win32 Disk Imager and then just copy over the contents of the main partition of the new card?
You will stop the Pi, take out the SDcard from Pi and insert it into your Windows PC memory card reader.
Beware that there may be a dialog where Windows offers to solve a problem on the card. DO NOT ACCEPT THAT!
Then fire up Win32DiskImager and select the SDcard drive letter. Be careful here to really select the correct drive!
Now use the folder icon on the right of the edit box at the top and navigate to where you want to save the disk image and type in a name for it.
Next hit the Read button.
Now a full image of your SDCard will be created on your PC disk.
When this is done then extract the SDCard and insert the new blank SDcard instead.
Select the drive letter again under Device (upper right)
Use the folder icon again and navigate to the just created image file.
Then click the Write button
Now the image will be written to the new SDcard and after it is done you have an exact duplicate.

If the new card was bigger than the old, say you went from 8GB to 16GB then the image is only using half of the SDcard space.
This can be fixed after you start up the Pi using this new card by using the Linux command to expand the file system
Here is a link to a webpage describing it.
Go to the #8 reply for OpenElec where it says:
Quote:So... to resize storage to fill the SD you need to:
[code]
touch /storage/.please_resize_me
reboot
[code]
I don't have OpenElec myself so I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the command...
Bo Berglund
Sweden
Hi-

I have a Pi2B as well, I'll only tackle #2&8; for which I personally prefer using USB flash drives for my library functions.
Some people are saying that the smaller capacity SD cards are more immune to corruption on the Pi.
Different cased flash drives add another level of organization to your collection, and flash drives are copied and backed up much faster than cloning goes on Win32.
Also, you'll be amazed at how fast those extra gigs on the SD card gets used up in practice...
After trawling the internet more and speaking to various people, I've managed to answer some of my own questions. I'll write the answers below in case someone in the future may need similar help:

Question 1:
I don't know if this is possible but I removed the source, cleaned up the library, re-added the source, allowed it to pull in movie information. The movie that was wrong before was wrong again this time too so I went in to correct it. After correcting it this time, it did things correct exactly as I expected so not sure what glitched the first time round.

Question 3:
There appears to be an option to use a custom background image in the settings for Confluence. I'll have to find a nice background image I can use that's a different colour.

Question 8:
If you copy movies to an external media (e.g. USB flash drive), you can access the movie via Videos -> Files and then selecting the external media. The movie won't be playable from the Library. If you unplug the network, you can scroll through the Library but if you try to play a movie that's from the network, it will say the source is not available and give an option to remove it from the library. So seems like it all works great. I've not worked out how to use excess storage on the MicroSD card yet though. I'm not entirely sure what Kodi actually needs this for, anyone know?
Glad you are making progress; you prob'ly already know that there are a jillion Youtube tutorials on using the Pi and especially XBMC/KODI.

There is one called RPi 2 XBMC - Kodi HTPC 1080p Setup and Testing by Richard Smith that if I remember right covers changing graphics, if not it is still worth a look for things like 1080 P vs wireless, etc.

You mentioned the library, those thumbnails for every movie and the data involved will all be stored on that SD card.
A lot of people have the Raspian OS onboard as well, which makes it easier to clone a backup SD card or unzip things like xbmc.repo.leopold which is the other place I saw how to add eye candy.
(2015-04-15, 03:05)CaptSunset Wrote: Glad you are making progress; you prob'ly already know that there are a jillion Youtube tutorials on using the Pi and especially XBMC/KODI.

There is one called RPi 2 XBMC - Kodi HTPC 1080p Setup and Testing by Richard Smith that if I remember right covers changing graphics, if not it is still worth a look for things like 1080 P vs wireless, etc.

You mentioned the library, those thumbnails for every movie and the data involved will all be stored on that SD card.
A lot of people have the Raspian OS onboard as well, which makes it easier to clone a backup SD card or unzip things like xbmc.repo.leopold which is the other place I saw how to add eye candy.

Thank you, that was one of the first videos I saw before I even bought the Pi2. Excellent video and very helpful.

I've managed to answer the rest of the questions. Again, putting it here as it may help someone else coming to this from new:

Question 2: No longer need to do this but other people have answered how to do this.

Question 4: This doesn't seem possible with the standard player. I read somewhere about installing a different player but I'd rather not go down that route so I'll leave this too.

Question 5: It seems like tagging is a relatively new feature. Its integration is limited but it seems like it will be integrated better in future versions: http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_library_tags

Question 6: Video resuming is available but there are settings so it won't resume if you're only a little bit into the movie (which is what I did to test the resume feature...and obviously this failed). You need to watch past the first 3 minutes for it to save a resume point (or change the configuration for how long it waits before it creates a resume point): http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_auto...ume_points

Question 7: Yes, you can uninstall anything that was downloaded. Here's a guide on how to do it: http://www.tvaddons.ag/removing-addons-kodi/. The one thing I found difficult was remembering what I had installed. Because it seemed like you could uninstall features that were installed by default. While I'd love to go through uninstalling all the unnecessary things that were there by default, I'm not sure what would be critical/needed in some obscure way. I suppose I could take an image of the sd card but I'd still be worried that I wouldn't find out about the side effect of uninstalling an obscure default add-on weeks down the line. Or even worse, develop some problem that I don't associate to a addon (or unable to associate the specific one).

Anyway, a great system and a nice learning curve. Can't wait to find out all the usual quirky tips and tricks that you often find with things like this as time goes on.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi questions for new user0