Problems trying to remap remote control functions to Kodi
Problems trying to remap remote control functions to Kodi

I have my pc in my living room connected to a basic monitor and a 50 inch LCD TV - I run the graphics in extend mode and use Kodi on the large screen.

I have been using a mouse and keyboard and had tweaked the mouse keymap to add volume to the scroll wheel and a couple of other preferences.

I recently bought a Justop F20 3D Smart Controller air mouse http://www.amazon.co.uk/JUSTOP-F20-Contr...B00EPE4A08

My intention was to use this to control Kodi and tweak the keymaps to set it up the way that I want.

I read the how-to's and downloaded 'keyboard test' and noted all of the commands that the airmouse sends. Then tried to create and edit mouse, keyboard and remote keymaps with those commands.

It just does not work. I must be missing something really simple but I have been going blind looking at this for the last 18 hours and getting nowhere.

Example. one of the buttons on the remote sends the keyboard command 'F3' so I tried the following:

<keymap>
<global>
<keyboard>
<F3>Stop</F3>
</keyboard>
</Global>
</keymap>

It didn't work.

So I tried changing to a key that worked nativly - namely the play/pause key - to the 'stop' command but that also had no effect and simply continued to issue the native command of 'play/pause'

I have tried creating keymap xml's for keyboard, mouse, and remote as I am unsure what this all in one RF airmouse would be classed as and I have also tried sub-sectioning it to 'fullscreenvideo' only. I just cant get it to work.

I have looked at the debugging mode - but that is a bit beyond me and i have also tried Keymap Editor from within Kodi - but I am either using it wrongly or it is not understanding the commands when I press the buttons on the remote.

Please - if you can be of any help I would really appreciate it. I am going cross eyed looking at the help pages and I think I am following the instructions correctly. Please assume I know less than nothing when you pitch any advise at me - this is the approach my GF takes and it seems to work for her. I reckon I am missing something very simple but just can't figure it out.

Thanks for reading and for any advice.

My setup:

Operating System - Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
CPU - AMD A8-5600K Trinity 32nm Technology
RAM - 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-10-24)
Motherboard - ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A88XM-PLUS (FM2+ )
Graphics - LG TV (1280x768@60Hz) Generic Non-PnP Monitor (1280x1024@60Hz) 768MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7560D (ASUStek Computer Inc)

Kodi 14.2 Helix
Anyone got ANY ideas at all - is this remote just not compatible?

Anyone know where to look in windows to assess the commands that it is throwing out nativly?

Does event ghost deal with RF remotes?

Really appreciate some help - I have bought 2 of the above air mice remotes (one each foe me and my partner) and so far they are a total waste of money.

Thanks
(2015-04-21, 15:46)Acoustism Wrote: Anyone got ANY ideas at all - is this remote just not compatible?

Anyone know where to look in windows to assess the commands that it is throwing out nativly?

Does event ghost deal with RF remotes?

Really appreciate some help - I have bought 2 of the above air mice remotes (one each foe me and my partner) and so far they are a total waste of money.

Thanks

Try posting the debug log to Pastebin and provide a link here.
Thank You Warner306

http://pastebin.com/bZLLatBe

Regards
There's a syntax error in line 6 of your keyboardm.xml
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Hi mkortstiege

thanks - but I can't see what I did wrong here. Could you please take a look foe me?

<keymap>
<global>
<keyboard>
<F3>Stop</F3>
</keyboard>
</Global>
</keymap>

are the keymaps case sensitive? line 6 has an uppercase G!?

Regards
Actually, I've never tried. I'd lowercase f3 and global and try again.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Thanks

I tried that and no change.

Regards
Perhaps </Global> needs to be </global>
(2015-04-22, 16:33)jjd-uk Wrote: Perhaps </Global> needs to be </global>

Thanks

I tried Global and global and also tried F3 and f3.

Still no joy.

Cheers
Can anyone please tell me if the indenting and spacing of the xml keymap has an impact on the function?

I was under the impression that it's indenting and spacing were only a visual aid to help making,editing and managing them...
Right, indentation has no impact. Try to open the .xml file with a browser. It will tell you if there's a syntax error. If unsure, pastebin the contents of the file.
(2015-04-22, 17:20)mkortstiege Wrote: Right, indentation has no impact. Try to open the .xml file with a browser. It will tell you if there's a syntax error. If unsure, pastebin the contents of the file.

Thanks - browser seems happy with it.

Interestingly - I tried the F3 command from my keyboard and that too does not work.. Other native commands such as UpArrow for seeking work just fine.

I upgraded to Kodi 14.2 Helix from Gotham - is there any way my registry or indeed left over files could be having an impact from the older version?

I seem to remember the facility to enable and disable keyboard commands in XBMX Gotham - but I can't find in Kodi Helix.

Regards

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems trying to remap remote control functions to Kodi0