Access .kodi folder from Windows (Raspberry Pi)
Hi,

I have been searching all over these boards but have been unable to find the answer so far:

Setup: Raspberry Pi 2, Kodi 14.2

I would like to access the .kodi folder from windows in order to add new cover slips for Aeon MQ5 and do some other alterations.

Through SMB I can see the 13 folders in windows 7 in the Openelec network share from Backup through Videos, except for the (hidden) .Kodi folder.

Enabling the windows setting to show hidden files does not solve this. Anyone know a way to access the .kodi folder from windows?
I believe you need to SSH your way in, since the .kodi folder is not a network share.
If you google "Connect to the Raspberry Pi via SSH / Putty on windows" you will find plenty of descriptions how to do it. Once it is set up, it is very easy.
Thank you for your reply. If I understand you correctly there is no way to view the .kodi folders in windows, only via a command line?
Yes and no. SSH can be done without command lines as well. Take a look at the free application WinSCP - it has a graphical user interface instead of the command line of putty.
(2015-04-21, 11:30)Dyra Wrote: Thank you for your reply. If I understand you correctly there is no way to view the .kodi folders in windows, only via a command line?
Simples.
In explorer (windows) look at the folders you can see on the pi, go into the Configfiles folder and copy the samba.conf.sample in there back to your desktop.
Open it up with a text editor and add these lines where the other shares are listed:
Quote:[Storage]
path = /storage
available = yes
browsable = yes
public = yes
writable = yes
root preexec = mkdir -p /storage

Save the file, then take the '.sample' off the end, so it becomes a working .conf file.
Copy it back into the Configfiles folder on your pi.
Reboot pi.
You can now see everything in the storage partition and mess to your heart's content.

This is in the wrong section btw.
As Stefan K says, WinSCP is your best bet - very easy to use and nice explorer interface.
@Troggy: That did it! Merci Bien!
No probs. It's one of the first things I do on any openelec install.
learn something everyday :-)
Yeah, it's just a shame I forget 3 things every day too.
(2015-04-21, 12:29)trogggy Wrote:
(2015-04-21, 11:30)Dyra Wrote: Thank you for your reply. If I understand you correctly there is no way to view the .kodi folders in windows, only via a command line?
Simples.
In explorer (windows) look at the folders you can see on the pi, go into the Configfiles folder and copy the samba.conf.sample in there back to your desktop.
Open it up with a text editor and add these lines where the other shares are listed:
path = /storage
available = yes
browsable = yes
public = yes
writable = yes

Save the file, then take the '.sample' off the end, so it becomes a working .conf file.
Reboot pi.
You can now see everything in the storage partition and mess to your heart's content.

Yes! This works on any Kodi box, and it solved a problem I've been struggling with for weeks!

Never give up on searching for answers here, just figure out a better way to ask the questions...

Thank you trogggy, if you are still frequenting this site (why wouldn't you be?...Kodi is a drug Smile)
Thread moved to Windows
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
And while you are editing the samba.conf inspect the line under [global] that may read "smb ports = 445" and make it read "smb ports = 445 139". This will let the Pi be master browser if it gets elected. Otherwise, if it gets elected to master browser samba will not work.

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-1252.html
(2015-04-21, 12:29)trogggy Wrote: In explorer (windows) look at the folders you can see on the pi
doesn't appear to work anymore - can no longer open see files on the Pi (running LibreELEC) from Windows 10.  seen a couple posts to this effect, but nothing clear as to how to resolve.  Any thoughts from anyone?
(2015-04-21, 12:29)trogggy Wrote:
Simples.
path = /storage
available = yes
browsable = yes
public = yes
writable = yes

Reboot pi.

trogggy, thank you. I couldn't see the kodi folder in Windows 10 and now I can, so this fix does still work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Access .kodi folder from Windows (Raspberry Pi)0