Razer Forge TV
http://www.razerzone.com/store/gaming-sy...ge-tv/type

$99 without the fancy controller. Doesn't seem to come with any controller for that price, but for $15 you can pick up a fire tv stick remote and should work well. Im tempted but think i will wait to get some more info on the shield. Hopefully they will have a release date soon to compete with the razer.

edit: seems to have a android/ios app with voice search.
I noticed it says its got Android L on it.

All this time I under the impression this was going to have Android TV on it, sort of like the Nexus player and the NvIDIA console.

I am not even sure what the difference between the two really is apart from how Android TV is customized as a 10 ft interface for TVs rather the standard mobile OS interface. What other perks and benefits do you get with Android TV? Do not know.

But I am guessing it will be nice to try it out. This kind of puts me off Razer Forge a bit. I wonder if you get Netflix at Super HD with it.
(2015-04-24, 20:44)ozkhan1 Wrote: I noticed it says its got Android L on it.

All this time I under the impression this was going to have Android TV on it, sort of like the Nexus player and the NvIDIA console.

I am not even sure what the difference between the two really is apart from how Android TV is customized as a 10 ft interface for TVs rather the standard mobile OS interface. What other perks and benefits do you get with Android TV? Do not know.

But I am guessing it will be nice to try it out. This kind of puts me off Razer Forge a bit. I wonder if you get Netflix at Super HD with it.

I'm not certain, but I believe that androidTV is simply a version of Lollipop optimized for use on the TV. 10 foot interface, CEC compatibility, remote friendly, etc.
I could be wrong though.
"AndroidTV" is indeed a fancy way of saying it has the TV Leanback interface and casting abilities, but underneath the interface it's Android 5.* (L). "AndroidTV" by definition is just the interface.
(2015-04-29, 10:42)Ambious Wrote: "AndroidTV" is indeed a fancy way of saying it has the TV Leanback interface and casting abilities, but underneath the interface it's Android 5.* (L). "AndroidTV" by definition is just the interface.

To be even more specific, the launcher is a separate app that can be loaded from the play store called the "Android TV Launcher" https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...cklauncher

It's like any other homescreen/launcher replacement (Nova, Go Launcher, Trebuchet for CM, etc) where after installation pressing the "home" button will ask you which app you would like to use as the launcher, and give you the option to select it "just once" or "always." This can also be edited under settings->home

However, it can only be installed on a handful of devices, so to get it on an "unapproved" device would need some ninja build.prop edits, and so far nobody has released anything usable to spoof the NP or ADT1 build.prop with other miscellaneous android devices which would allow the android tv launcher to run
I was unaware you could load android tv separately. I got a NP pretty much just to try it out. After the novelty has worn off, I would prefer a regular android ROM. Does anyone know if this android tv would install on a nexus player with lolirock? I will be getting a razer forge either way, just curious.
Anybody received theirs yet? I had a few questions and I was wondering if someone could test this out.

Can you use Llama to create events to terminate apps? I know FTV does not let you do that without rooting the device first. I am hoping Razer Forge is either rootable or lets you create a Llama event to terminate apps running in the background without rooting it.

Reason its a "would like to have" for me is, every time I use Kodi and want to go to Netflix, it does not work. I have to manually terminate Kodi and then Netflix works fine.

Also if someone could confirm Sling TV app is available and works fine on RF. Right now Netflix, SlingTV and Hulu are must haves in my household along with Kodi.

Thanks.
(2015-04-30, 23:50)ozkhan1 Wrote: Anybody received theirs yet? I had a few questions and I was wondering if someone could test this out.

Can you use Llama to create events to terminate apps? I know FTV does not let you do that without rooting the device first. I am hoping Razer Forge is either rootable or lets you create a Llama event to terminate apps running in the background without rooting it.

Reason its a "would like to have" for me is, every time I use Kodi and want to go to Netflix, it does not work. I have to manually terminate Kodi and then Netflix works fine.

Also if someone could confirm Sling TV app is available and works fine on RF. Right now Netflix, SlingTV and Hulu are must haves in my household along with Kodi.

Thanks.

I don't think they ship until 5 May. At least that's what my confirmation from Razer said. All those apps are must haves for me also, so if no one else beats me to it I will let you know.

Odd that you have that problem with Kodi and Netflix. I don't have any issues with my AFTV running SPMC.
(2015-05-01, 01:37)USCMitch Wrote:
(2015-04-30, 23:50)ozkhan1 Wrote: Anybody received theirs yet? I had a few questions and I was wondering if someone could test this out.

Thanks.

I don't think they ship until 5 May. At least that's what my confirmation from Razer said. All those apps are must haves for me also, so if no one else beats me to it I will let you know.

Odd that you have that problem with Kodi and Netflix. I don't have any issues with my AFTV running SPMC.
I am using stock android kodi build.. maybe that has something to do with it then Smile. I guess ill try out spmc.

Thanks for the response by the way. I look forward to reading your review.

Thanks.

I have a FTV and I have the same issue but I use Llama to close Kodi whenever I open Netflix, my FTV isn't rooted. I just side loaded Llama.
Running Helix on Fire TV Box.
How do you do that.. the kill app event on mine requires rooting
(2015-05-02, 19:26)ozkhan1 Wrote: How do you do that.. the kill app event on mine requires rooting

I have it as when Netflix is opened, close Kodi. It works like a charm.
Running Helix on Fire TV Box.
Works fine to go from kodi to netflix? Just tried on fire tv stick. Kodi->Home button->Netflix
Its intermittent in my case.. I have a feeling its something else, not kodi. Thanks all for your input.

Didnt mean to derail this thread. Waiting for USCMitch and otherd to post firdt impressions of RF
My Razer Forge is shipping today. At the moment I use SPMC with my Amazon FireTv. What is the recommended Kodi version for Android now?

I'll be posting information and my first impressions once delivered and I get setup.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Razer Forge TV0