Kodi on Rasbian new user
Hello all, this is my first post and I am not sure where to begin. I have used Linux for years but have always been the n00b. So I have Kodi installed on Rasbian, on a Pi model A. And I have been reading a lot (maybe not) in the Wiki. I know this much at this time... I have more nebulous goals than questions at this time. My goals are to 1. Use a remote control. 2. Use Kodi as the only UI on my Pi (which I can do when I find the link for it.) 3. Have a PVR backend installed (Is Myth the best? What are the short list of differences?) And most outlandish, I have a Roku and basically want to use Kodi as a backend for it. <-That last part is for a number of reasons. So am I on the right OS? Is what I am doing just silly and duplicating my Roku? Roku is tied to subscriptions of course and there are reasons where I want a media interface that is not tied to subscriptions. Like the fact that my Roku3 is not rooted and non commercial streams are not really supported that well on it, such as www.afr.net

So this is a long and confusing first post. Sorry and Regards.

I ment that I wanted to use Kodi as a backend for my archives and my catching PVR content both from over the Air and hopefully my Roku being used as a tuner (Or the more I think about it that will not work... But definitely using it directly for non commercial streams
My first best advice to you from a fellow Noob is to check out how to clone your SD card. When you are very new, you are much more likely to trash the card accidentally and the settings and stuff you've just learned will still be a bit fuzzy. I was lucky I didn't lose hours of fiddling when I just pulled the AC brick outta the wall!:]

On #2, if you install from NOOBS (downloadable), you have the choice of installing dual boot Raspian and/or OpenELEC, and I'd recommend at first keeping Raspian available- it doesn't limit anything but has a text/script editor and terminal.

The Model A seems to have a rep for trashing cards, but that may have been the cards available at the time. You may wish for a Pi 2B rather soon...
great advice CaptSunset... I've found the following backup procedure has worked well for me (on OSX):

http://dennistt.net/2013/09/15/raspberry-pi/

- Plug the SD card into the Mac.
- In Terminal, execute
Code:
diskutil list
to find your SD card make note of the disk number (/dev/diskX)
- Then execute the following command for a backup:
Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/rdiskX bs=1m | gzip > /path/to/backup.img.gz
- Replace the X with your disk number that you found in the previous step. Note the ‘r’ in /dev/rdiskX is intentional to take advantage of better performance
- For a restore, the command would be:
Code:
gzip -dc /path/to/backup.img.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/rdiskX bs=1m

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi on Rasbian new user0