Is the Raspberry Pi 2 the right choice
Hi everyone

I've been using xbmc/kodi for a long time, but the time has come to build my first "Kodi Box"

I've done some research and I'm wondering if the Pi2 is the right choice for me.
My uses are 1080p movies (nice quality, like 10-15 GB per movie) and some 720p50 TV content. One additional requirement is that I will need it to transcode DTS audio to DD5.1. All content is available on my desktop HDD and is shared via LAN (there's probably a NAS on the way also).

Is the Pi2 performance good enough for this kind of usage?
I'm very much a Windows fan, so I admit that trying Win10 IOT on it is a plus for me.

Thanks a lot
Kind regards
as you can read in the stickies --> http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=94268

the top 2 boxes currently are the Asus Chromebox and Raspberry Pi2.

Both run OpenELEC which is to me, the best version of KODI to use.

I have a Pi2 which you can read here --> http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=221378
Thanks a lot eskro.

I read your post, very useful stuff, like step by step instructions and the OC settings. Still, I don't know wheter it runs smoothly at 720p50 and if it handles well the DTS to DD5.1 transcoding.

Thanks again
DVB-T2 and DVB-S2 720/50p and 1080/50i stuff is smooth on the Pi 2. I watch SVT1 HD and BBC One HD no problems.

I haven't tried DTS to DD transcoding, but it is available as an option and the Pi 2 has enough CPU power I believe, so that should be no problem.
@marvalar: why do you need to transcode DTS to DD5.1? Presumably your TV or AV Amp supports LPCM in which case just disable passthrough on the Pi2 and all audio (including DTS-HD MA 7.1, in test builds) will be decoded and then output as multi-channel LPCM.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-04-27, 06:37)Milhouse Wrote: @marvalar: why do you need to transcode DTS to DD5.1? Presumably your TV or AV Amp supports LPCM in which case just disable passthrough on the Pi2 and all audio (including DTS-HD MA 7.1, in test builds) will be decoded and then output as multi-channel LPCM.

One possibility is that the OP is connecting his Pi 2 to a TV and then taking a Toslink/Coax SPDIF output from the TV to a legacy amp or soundbar, or using ARC to connect to their amp (though the latter could be arranged better). Some TVs will passthrough Dolby (or decode it) but not DTS from their HDMI inputs to their outputs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is the Raspberry Pi 2 the right choice0