YouTube stopped working in May.
Hey guys.

Did something happen with the YouTube application or with YouTube? I am currently using YOUTUBE - 6.4.11 - TheCollective on my media center and it seems any kind of query to YouTube returns an empty list.

I can see my subscriptions, but when I click on any of them it returns an empty list with only one video in it, the one from YouTube about "Device support".

Can this be fixed? Is anyone else having the same issue? I tried reinstalling the application just in case there was something in the settings that was screwing it up but that did not work either.

Stefan.
If you run 13.x Gotham and up you will get a newer youtube version.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-05-08, 10:42)Gune Wrote: Hey guys.

.... I am currently using YOUTUBE - 6.4.11 ....

YouTube 6.4.11 ?!?!?! How could this happen ? YouTube (Gotham) the major version is 4 and starting with Helix the major version is 5.
(2015-05-08, 11:33)bromix Wrote:
(2015-05-08, 10:42)Gune Wrote: Hey guys.

.... I am currently using YOUTUBE - 6.4.11 ....

YouTube 6.4.11 ?!?!?! How could this happen ? YouTube (Gotham) the major version is 4 and starting with Helix the major version is 5.

Heh, well that's what it says!
Just to update, I uninstalled YouTube and reinstalled. This gave me version 4.4.10, still the same issue though. So can someone confirm if what I'm getting is a common issue right now? Just want to make sure it isn't something I'm getting due to something I did.

Stefan.
You get the new YouTube addon starting with Helix.
To use Youtube 5.x.x, Bromix's add-on repository must be installed first within XBMC or Kodi (Gotham+ users).

For Frodo or earlier users, there's a workaround I found by replacing your xbmc.python (see the old Youtube add-on topic, at the bottom of page 313) by one extracted from a Helix install. This way you can still install and use Youtube 5.x.x, even under Frodo. My tests gave me satisfactory results with the full add-on functionality and it doesn't break my other add-ons. But keep in mind this is an unofficial method to use at your own risk. I can't guarantee it will work in the long term. Only use this workaround if you really can't do otherwise (retrogaming setup with Windows XP on it or other similar cases where upgrading is not really an option).
I think it would make sense to replace the youtube addon in the official repository of Gotham with a 5.x one. I'm currently using bromix's version in Gotham and it seems to work so far, but even if it breaks in some cases it can't be worse than the current 4.x version which *never* works.
I guess that Gotham is now unsupported, hell even Helix isn't getting any more love.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Here's an update by the way. I installed the newest Kodi version(Kodibuntu) and used the official YouTube application(The one that asks you for the youtube.com/activate keys) and everything has been working since without issues.

I guess YouTube changed something that broke the older version of it.

Stefan.
Well documented in this forum. Google changed the API.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
YouTube stopped working in May.0