Buying a NAS, how best to run KODI?
(2015-05-19, 20:32)stigdu Wrote: Thanks for the quick reply! No particular reason at all - there are quite a lot of films on there (about 1.5TB), and as I understood it, there would be no discernible speed difference in streaming with the external drive attached to the NAS via USB 3.0 versus the films being on the NAS's internal drive itself (a 3TB Western Digital red). Please correct me if I'm wrong, and I'll move them over, as the NAS's internal drive is currently pretty much empty! Smile
No, playing from USB shouldn't be the cause of your issue, it just seems a a little redundant. Start with the HDMI cable and you may get lucky. You could also try hijacking a HDMI cable from one of your other devices that you know works.
This worked for me, a quite simple process. YouTube has a few videos on setting it all up with phpMyAdmin.

My NAS has two WD Red NAS drives in a RAID 1 and works nicely.

Using the HDMI on your NAS, could this be causing the play back issues due to it not being specced well enough to play HD film etc. A dedicated front end would surely be best, using the NAS purely as a point of storage?

I'd put all the media on your 3TB internal drive, but is that backed up in case of failure? It's a lot of media to loose otherwise.
Yes, I have all the media on an external 2TB Samsung drive. So what I've done now is to transfer (I'm 1/2-way through the process and wil lfinish tonight hopefully after work) all the files from the USB-connected external to the internal 3TB WD Red drive in the NAS.

I also have an Amazon Fire TV, so I have another question...

Would it be better *either* running the files directly from the NAS (which is hooked up via HDMI straight to the TV/amp) using Kodi, bearing in mind the NAS has a 2.4GHz dual-core processor, *or* to map an SMB directory from the NAS, and put Kodi on the Amazon Fire TV (which has a quad-core 1.4GHz processor I believe) and stream the films that way?
Try both and see which you prefer. If they are both hooked up to the same TV anyway, the Fire TV should be better at running Kodi assuming you aren't bothered by lack of proper 24p video sync.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buying a NAS, how best to run KODI?0