Win Failed playback when switching to channel with different audio source using capt
Hi all
Here is a debug log replicating this issue: http://xbmclogs.com/pf23jnolr. This shows me calling channel 501 - which is encoded in AAC. Then I call channel 401 which is in AC3. No audio is heard when the channel changes across.

My explanation of the problem - for those of us that capture the output of a cable/satellite STB, there can sometimes be a delay between the IR blasting process and the STB tuning to the new channel. This means that sometimes the stream (regardless of whether its a timeshift, or a recorded file) can start with a chunk of the previous channel, prior to the new one commencing following the IR blasting and STB tuning. This is normally not a problem, unless the two channels are encoded in different audio formats. In that case, Kodi thinks that its playing an AAC file, but when hit with the mid-stream change in encoding, cuts the audio. Somehow VLC, Mediaportal and NPVR all manage this flick between audio encoders.

Working with the Team Mediaportal guys, we've come up with a rough and ready patch that delays the stream capture by 7.5 seconds. This obviously delays channel changes dramatically, but it does mean that you only ever end up with the correct channel in the stream. It would be a massively more elegant solution if Kodi were able to manage the change up in audio encoder.

However, I fully recognise that I have absolutely no coding knowledge and have no appreciation for what sort of change or effort this would entail. Like the OP, happy to provide a sample recording if this helps too.

Thanks very much for reading!
I submitted a fix: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/8340
Appreciate you looking at this FM.

I've just installed a Milhouse testbuild which is using kodi-16.0-beta2-64de219. The issue reported above is still evident. Would you like another log?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Failed playback when switching to channel with different audio source using capt0