MPEG2 hardware decode has black screen
I have a long standing .27.3 Mythtv backend that is using a HDHomeRun to create MPG2 recordings. I now have a Pi 2 with Kodi and it will not decode in hardware at all.

- Pi 2 with 1G
- Raspbian latest build with Kodi 14.2 stable Git 7cc53a9 (Mar 29, 2015)
- Mpeg2 license is purchased and shows enabled on the command line
- Software playback works but interlaced and choppy
- Enabling hardware playback shows a black screen and pressing O shows the stats. omx-mpeg2 is enabled.

Numerous segfaults occur.

Why does Pi 2 not decode MPEG2 in 14.2 Kodi?
Have you increased gpu_mem?
256 is recommended for pi2
If that doesn't help post a debug log (wiki)
I didn't try memory, but here is what fixed it.

I grabbed OpenELEC 5.0.8 from their website which is a bit newer than the NOOBS image. The current NOOBS image wouldn't work earlier is why I was looking at Raspbian. Once extracted to the SD card, I then updated the config.txt with the decoder keys and installed it. Everything worked seamless from there. Just needed a newer version it seems.
How does the hardware MPEG2 decoding compare to software decoding? I have not purchased a license key, so I must be using software decoding on a MediaPortal backend. SD TV is MPEG2.

Is it worth the expense of buying the decoder? Sure it isn't much, but even so.... !
Deinterlace only works with hardware decode, so for interleaced content (most live TV) it will look better if you buy the codec licence.
Exactly right. It is well worth it as everything smooths out and full de-interlace. I was glad to see the price being very reasonable too and it took less than 1 hour to get the key. As mentioned above I couldn't make it work with Raspian + Kodi, but it could have been something wrong with my install. I still have the SD card from the post above so I am going to try the memory increase as suggested and report back.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MPEG2 hardware decode has black screen1