ambilight like video mode
Hi All,

Many of us use Kodi with a projector on a 2m screen. I've been thinking about constructing an ambilight system but it is a little mess with such large screen size. I wonder if it is technically possible to add an ambilight video mode (in addition to the 2d and 3d video modes) that would play a movie with the image scaled down a little bit (some configurable fraction of the screen), and using the generated borders to apply the ambilight effect without any third party tool.

Its just an idea, I assume there are other priorities in this great project.
Regards
Could you rephrase or clarify your request? I don't understand really. Thats what the boblight addon is ment to be used for imo.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Sorry. If I'm right boblight is an external program and the kodi addon uses it to control the leds of an ambilight system. What I mean is to use only kodi with no leds or external programs, simply by scaling down the video (which is already possible) and 'decorating' the resulting borders of the screen around the video with the adequate colors, instead of sending them as commands to boblight. I suppose the effect will not be the same, but close.
I still miss the key fact here. If you don't use leds. What do you do to show the border colors then instead?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
he want's the main movie scaled down and the resulting empty space of the screen filled with colour in an ambilight way, so that he can make his projector not only cover the canvas but go beyond, while the main movie will still be limited (scaled down) to the canvas size.
ahh ok. Sounds like this is not easily doable (because the whole rendering assumes that the canvas is where we want to see the movie. There is no inner and outer border or something strange like that). Also this would involve "drawing" on the texture while normal video playback just uploads a frame/image and binds it to a texture.

All in all a nice idea for a very limited userbase and only 2 or 3 people in our team which would have the skills to accomplish it i think.
Could be neat for projection systems, but yeah, sounds like a lot of work.
One of the main ideas of ambilight is to visually "extend" the screen. I don't really see a logical scenario to scale down the screen just to extend it again with a "blurry border" O_o

I still would prefer adding LEDs behind the white screen, it looks incredible:
Main: Lancool II Mesh  - Ryzen 9 5900x - MSI x570 Unify - Zotac RTX 3080 AMP HOLO - 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 -  EVO 960 M.2 250GB / EVO 940 250GB / MX100 512GB /  Crucial P1 2TB / WD Blue 3D Nand 2TB 
Sound: Saxx AS30 DSP - Beyer Dynamic Custom One Pro 
TV: Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro- Adalight 114x LEDs - Sony 65XG9505 - Kodi / Emby - Yamaha RX-V683 - Heco Victa 700/101/251a + Dynavoice Magic FX-4
Server: i3 Skylake - 8GB - OMV4 - 22TB Storage
@sualfred - he would adjust the projector to extend the canvas while having the scaled down UI fill the entire canvas
Ah now I get it. Sry, missunderstood the request.
Main: Lancool II Mesh  - Ryzen 9 5900x - MSI x570 Unify - Zotac RTX 3080 AMP HOLO - 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 -  EVO 960 M.2 250GB / EVO 940 250GB / MX100 512GB /  Crucial P1 2TB / WD Blue 3D Nand 2TB 
Sound: Saxx AS30 DSP - Beyer Dynamic Custom One Pro 
TV: Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro- Adalight 114x LEDs - Sony 65XG9505 - Kodi / Emby - Yamaha RX-V683 - Heco Victa 700/101/251a + Dynavoice Magic FX-4
Server: i3 Skylake - 8GB - OMV4 - 22TB Storage
Thanks to all for your relatively good reception of the idea. I have done a little experiment implementing it. You can find some images at

http://conga.oan.es/~alonso/ambilightExperiment/

I include the code in Java for the program. It uses an external library I have for all things, but I think you can follow the idea easily. One advantage is that I can create a custom black border to separate the outer lights from the video itself, and even add some 'resolution' to the borders so that they are not just lights, but includes some structure. In this case by fliping the borders adequately I can simulation some kind of 'mirror effect' quite visible in the right corner of image 2 (green color). It is not perfect, specially the corners, but seems just fine for a start.

In another time I will do a real test with a movie and I will post the video to the same url. I expect the effect to be good enough in a projector since the screen is partially reflective compared to a LCD monitor.
(2015-05-28, 13:18)sualfred Wrote: One of the main ideas of ambilight is to visually "extend" the screen. I don't really see a logical scenario to scale down the screen just to extend it again with a "blurry border" O_o

I still would prefer adding LEDs behind the white screen, it looks incredible:

OMG THIS IS SO COOL !!

I have uppload two example videos to http://conga.oan.es/~alonso/ambilightExperiment/. The result is quite nice for a first test, although I can say nothing about how it compares with an ambilight system consisting on leds. The effect is based on the Java program I mentioned above, which can obviously be improved since in some cases there is too much 'white' light in the borders.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ambilight like video mode0