Kodi kills my disable_overscan=1
I've got a Pi model B running the latest Raspbian image.
It's hooked up to a Lilliput FA1012-NP/C/T which has a native res of 1024x600
I installed Kodi via apt-get.

I have the pi's config.txt set to this:

disable_overscan=1
hdmi_cvt=1024 600 60 3 0 0 0
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87

When I first boot to the desktop, everything looks good and sharp (everything is drawn at 1:1 size, my mouse pointer stops at exactly the edge of the monitor viewable area)

When I start Kodi, things overshoot the viewable area of the screen, so my edges aren't visible

When I exit Kodi and go back to my desktop, things are still overshooting the viewable area, and I have to reboot the Pi to get back to normal.

watch gallery

It would seem that Kodi changes the display mode that does not respect the disable overscan setting I set in the pi config. The system settings indicate that the video resolution is set to 1024x600, and in fact there are two different entries for 1024x600--one at the very top of the list, and then one in the middle of a list of varying resolutions from 640x480 on up to 1920x1080. The problem happens with both 1024x600 entries.

How can I stop it from doing that? I'd like it to be in the same 1:1 pixel mode as the Pi desktop is when I first boot up, and leave it in that mode upon exiting.

I've done as much searching as I can think of, and the only thing I came up with was to try overscan_scale=1 but it didn't have an effect. (Nor did commenting out disable overscan and setting all the overscan values to 0)

Any ideas? Much appreciated!
disable_overscan and overscan_left/overscn_right/overscan_top/overscan_bottom only apply to framebuffer (including X).
Kodi will ignore those settings and considers overscan to be disabled (you need to use calibration option - see system/video output in settings).

You should be able to fix this with the calibration settings.

The overscan is being enabled by display, and not by Kodi, so the correct place to fix it is in display menus.

The reason for the difference is possibly that raspbian/X is booting with DVI signalling.
Kodi switched to HDMI signalling as that supports audio. Your display may be inferring DVI==monitor (no overscan) and HDMI==TV (with overscan).

You can prove this by adding:
Code:
hdmi_drive=2
to config.txt and see if the desktop now behaves like Kodi. (See: http://elinux.org/RPiconfig)
Ouch. I spent hours trying to fix this, trying different configs, different builds, looking for a menu item in the monitor's OSD to disable overscan. I was not able to find one. I switched the AV source from "HDMI" to "DVI" and voila, it works exactly as I'd expect. Simple as that. Same HDMI cable and all. I had no idea.

Only thing I've lost now is that sound no longer goes out the monitor's speakers (no big loss - just hooked up some bog standard computer speakers to the pi's analog jack).

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi kills my disable_overscan=10