Kodi Profile Brainstorm
(2015-06-03, 14:17)zag Wrote: I'd like profile picture and email address support, maybe with gravatar.

This'd be pretty nice. Or maybe some kind of hook that addons could use to pull in profiles from other areas. So maybe one person would like to hook in their twitter pic, one their facebook pic, one their gravatar, etc.
(2015-06-04, 02:13)natethomas Wrote:
(2015-06-03, 14:17)zag Wrote: I'd like profile picture and email address support, maybe with gravatar.
This'd be pretty nice. Or maybe some kind of hook that addons could use to pull in profiles from other areas. So maybe one person would like to hook in their twitter pic, one their facebook pic, one their gravatar, etc.
Could it not be better long-term for the Kodi community if you primary directed users to setup their profile here using this forum at kodi.tv if they want an online picture and info?

You could edit your profile information and add pictures here as well as get support too if you need it, and you would get more users joining the online community at forum.kodi.tv

This could mean single username and password per user that would work both for your Kodi user profile and for login to kodi.tv, though registering inside Kodi should be a option.
(2015-06-04, 10:49)RockerC Wrote: Could it not be better long-term for the Kodi community if you primary directed users to setup their profile here using this forum at kodi.tv if they want an online picture and info?

As a general rule, we tend not to try to lock people into our stuff. Sometimes that can result in some real annoyances (as in the case of users adding additional repos), but generally speaking I think we tend to think it's better to do it that way.

With that said, I suppose there's no reason why we couldn't make the the forum the sort of default sign in if we wanted. Might make for a fun way for users to show on their actual Kodi boxes that they are donors.
Though it should be noted that these are all just ideas for profiles. For GSOC you could be as general or specific as you guys (phillyfan & montellese) want.
Maybe an option to include the forum username in the Kodi Profile.

This could help with uploading logs automatically in the future.
(2015-06-04, 11:13)zag Wrote: Maybe an option to include the forum username in the Kodi Profile.

This could help with uploading logs automatically in the future.

I imagine that wouldn't need profile-specific support, as long as profiles have their own sets of add-on data? It's like how you can currently have different profiles in Kodi v14 and each one is logged into a different Trakt.tv account.
I have a control4 system and I'm using the latest driver from Alan Chow that integrates with xbmc. After some testing by Alan, it appears when a user logs off their profile and on the main profile page, you can no longer issue commands in xbmc.

He says it has to do with JSON, so is this something that can be addressed?
In this thread is mentioned in various messages: Android accounts, google credentials, , profiles followin you, distributing user profiles among attached Kodi devices on the LAN....
What about a Kodi cloud account, ala trakt.tv, (or same as kodi forum), storing all these settings

bla, bla, bla Out of scope of GSOC
bla, bla, bla, keep in mind when crafting the new profile architecture
(2015-06-07, 11:31)narvatu Wrote: In this thread is mentioned in various messages: Android accounts, google credentials, , profiles followin you, distributing user profiles among attached Kodi devices on the LAN....
What about a Kodi cloud account, ala trakt.tv, (or same as kodi forum), storing all these settings

bla, bla, bla Out of scope of GSOC
bla, bla, bla, keep in mind when crafting the new profile architecture

Its been on my ideas list for a while to build a website where you can upload Kodi data to the cloud.

I'll work with anyone wanting to implement this feature into the Kodi codebase.
My thoughts:

I'd use profiles to stop my kids watching stuff which is not appropriate.

I'd like the ability to enter a pin to watch my stuff (i.e. stuff from a specific source), and then it would automatically time out after a while so access would be restricted back to the kids level (as I'd forget to log out sometime).

That would be great!
(2015-06-08, 23:37)archie456 Wrote: My thoughts:

I'd like the ability to enter a pin to watch my stuff (i.e. stuff from a specific source), and then it would automatically time out after a while so access would be restricted back to the kids level (as I'd forget to log out sometime).

That would be great!

I like that. There is now finally have a "logout screensaver" in the official repo, but it would be nicer to have that built-in for those kinds of situations.

That would be great!

I would prefere a profile with a birthdate validating itself vs the rating of the movie/show that was pulled from tmdb
How much of all this directly depends on an improved database structure for Kodi?

Checkout discussion here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=200911
I love what Kodi has to offer but am disappointed to find a lack of controlling what is seen (parental control). As an example last week I added a new add-on that gave over 300 tv channels only to find a cartoons playing right above 8 ADULT xxx channels. I find this careless and irresponsible of the add-on developer and am disappointed that it had to be removed.. Things like this will limit any adult with children from ever being a Kodi user or donator. The use of profiles is cumbersome and too much of a hassle to be considered a viable solution as I have pre teens (G) teens (PG13) and young adults ® as well as Adults (x). The only two parental controls that have been created for Kodi so far are not the answer either. One being Add-on based and the other having a ceiling of pg-13 offering little control. A good parental control should have multiple user ratings with the ability to simply right click on an add-on or channel and restrict it as necessary. I would encourage someone to develop such a parental control and am sure appreciating parents would gladly make contributions to them for their efforts. Please... won't someone help those of us who are responsible parents? We love Kodi but could love it a bit more.

That would be great!

Do you mean like: PinSentry

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Profile Brainstorm0