KODI box
I'm new to XBMC/KODI, I read lot of threads, quite confused on which box to buy
I'm willing to spend up to Max 300 USD, I want to use only KODI,
which box is best for Kodi and preferably future proof in that price range
You mentioned that you read a lot of threads, but did you read the sticky at the top titled "Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)"?

Which such a vague explanation of your needs, start there.
Yes, I read that, Chromeboxes doesn't give remote i guess, next i liked is Fire TV, I used that but with some heavy skins or TR Community Builds, it's crashing very often, all others are needed some work. I'm not comfortable in assembling or flashing kind of stuff
After reading some threads, i also got confused which box is good linux or android
I couldn't able to get much from that thread
(2015-06-08, 20:03)bsngupta Wrote: Yes, I read that, Chromeboxes doesn't give remote i guess, next i liked is Fire TV, I used that but with some heavy skins or TR Community Builds, it's crashing very often, all others are needed some work. I'm not comfortable in assembling or flashing kind of stuff
After reading some threads, i also got confused which box is good linux or android
I couldn't able to get much from that thread

add $20 for a PS3 BT remote for the ChromeBox

Linux = best possible quality, HD audio, HQ deinterlacing, perfect 24p/23.976p playabck, auto-refresh rate switch, mature/stable - but no HEVC (currently) or 3D bluray ISO
Android = android apps/store, some units have HEVC support, lots of variation in features etc but few vendors with good post-sale support, so choose carefully
You mentioned that you already used (I assume have) a Fire TV, jump to the Android section of this forum and find out why it is crashing. The reason may also affect other systems if it is caused by something like an addon.
If are not in a hurry and can wait a couple of months I suggest taking a look at Braswell boxes (Intel Braswell boxes compilation). It's still very early but these boxes should make good Kodi boxes and should support hardware HEVC decoding (once ffmpeg supports it). Eventually we'll find out and even if these boxes turn out to be bad options the prices of the Haswell Chromebox will have come down by then. If you can wait, it may be worthwhile to do so.
And if you are waiting then the Nvidia Shield is another option. They today have said they will be adding lossless HD audio passthrough and are working to fix 23.976 playback. If they never get that fixed, however, its back to Chromeboxes.
Thnx guys, Nvidia Shield looks promising..
Chromebox, what else ?
(2015-06-08, 20:51)Matt Devo Wrote: Linux = best possible quality, HD audio, HQ deinterlacing, perfect 24p/23.976p playabck, auto-refresh rate switch, mature/stable - but no HEVC (currently)....
Slight amendment here. I run Kodi / Ubuntu on an AMlogic S805 just for HEVC playback. But currently see no perfect 24p playback yet, tho it is nearly there.....

To the OP - the question is do you like to tinker and chase your tail trying get everything working properly and maybe get there in 6 or 12 months, maybe ? If so then head over to all the fun and games of an Android OS device such as the NVIDIA Shield.
Minix would be the only guys I would look at for platform maturity and support if looking in the Android OS space.

The Linux mature stable Kodi media platforms are the Chromebox and the RPi2. Priced in that order. Very popular too.
With new spec Braswell Chromeboxes just around the corner the very very good current Haswell Chromeboxes will drop in price and become a bargain buy soon.

(2015-06-09, 04:41)wrxtasy Wrote: With new spec Braswell Chromeboxes just around the corner the very very good current Haswell Chromeboxes will drop in price and become a bargain buy soon.

Braswell or Broadwell for next gen Chromeboxes?
(2015-06-09, 23:33)noggin Wrote:
(2015-06-09, 04:41)wrxtasy Wrote: With new spec Braswell Chromeboxes just around the corner the very very good current Haswell Chromeboxes will drop in price and become a bargain buy soon.

Braswell or Broadwell for next gen Chromeboxes?

Broadwell (like the just-announced Asus CN-62); I wouldn't expect to see Braswell ones until Q3/Q4

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
KODI box0