Long time MCE user coming over to Kodi
Hi all, with the immenate release of Windows 10 and the withdrawel of MC as part of Windows 10 I am looking to make the transition.

I use MCE (W7) 99% for recording Live TV and the rest of the time watching downloaded videos and TV programs. The thing I really like about and that's missing from Kodi is:-
Videos are not grouped by Series (videos tab)
No thumbnails appear to be created
Miss the feel of the navigation from MCE in general, the way you dig into groups of programs
My Movies and its trailors and movie database info.

Are there any must-have Add Ons to get Kodi working better for me? I only installed it yesterday, imported videos and photos and music on Windows 7. I have not yet got a backend TV Tuner running yet.

Thanks all.
Have a look at http://kodi.wiki/view/Quick_start_guide.
I've already looked at that. Sleepy
Keep your eye on the HDHomerun DVR (a supposed replacement for MCE)...
https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=89

As for Thumbnails, look at a scraper (MediaElch) to get all the artwork for your ripped TV and Movies.

For a navigation similar to MCE, there are several Skins that have a similar vibe (ACE, AeonMQ5/6, Transparency). Give one (or all) a try. these skins also include many of the most popular add-on's configured to work with the Skins (which is an awesome bonus).

You need a scraper to get the My Movies database feel. I personally came from My Movies, and have used MediaElch since finding out about it. It does Movies, TV Shows, and Music Scraping, as well as downloading TV Tunes for your TV Shows, and has support Trailers.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=136333
(2015-06-09, 15:23)m0bov Wrote: Hi all, with the immenate release of Windows 10 and the withdrawel of MC as part of Windows 10 I am looking to make the transition.

I use MCE (W7) 99% for recording Live TV and the rest of the time watching downloaded videos and TV programs. The thing I really like about and that's missing from Kodi is:-
Videos are not grouped by Series (videos tab)
No thumbnails appear to be created
Miss the feel of the navigation from MCE in general, the way you dig into groups of programs
My Movies and its trailors and movie database info.

Are there any must-have Add Ons to get Kodi working better for me? I only installed it yesterday, imported videos and photos and music on Windows 7. I have not yet got a backend TV Tuner running yet.

Thanks all.

FOr downloaded or ripped content, when you add a video source, you need to tell Kodi whether it stores movies or tv shows. If it stores TV shows and the file /directory structure is correct, it will automatically add the TV series, but it will appear under the "TV Shows" menu entry, not the video entry.
Thank you for the info, will give that a go. Just running kodi and MCE on the same PC until I go W10. I find MCE is very easy to use and quite simple compared to kodi which is more powerful but needs far more work spent on it.
Ok, I spent most of yesterday evening playing with it, (Using VNC from my main pc!) I got the AeonMQ5/6 working great, I got my NextPVR working as a back end fine. I now got the recorded TV and torrented videos coming up nicely with the cover art etc... (the stuff I recorded from MCE only comes up as a list of files though).

Speed seems fine, no crashes so all looks good, I disabled MCE for the moment. Only a few queries so far:-

I am in the UK, I use Freeview only, I used an XMLTV source for BBC HD due to some bug with MCE, should I be using XMLTV for all the channels is does this not really offer anymore than the OTA EPG data?

Need to get the Green Button mapped to load Kodi, not found a simple way yet, tried EventGhost but it just stopped my IR working completely!

Can you search the EGP? I am used to going through each category i.e. Drama, Sport and clicking to record each show. I am assuming NextPVR support series linking?!

Cheers.
Ok found http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=136798 with a utility for launching Kodi on resume! Will try that out tonight.
(2015-06-11, 11:31)m0bov Wrote: Ok, I spent most of yesterday evening playing with it, (Using VNC from my main pc!) I got the AeonMQ5/6 working great, I got my NextPVR working as a back end fine. I now got the recorded TV and torrented videos coming up nicely with the cover art etc... (the stuff I recorded from MCE only comes up as a list of files though).

Speed seems fine, no crashes so all looks good, I disabled MCE for the moment. Only a few queries so far:-

I am in the UK, I use Freeview only, I used an XMLTV source for BBC HD due to some bug with MCE, should I be using XMLTV for all the channels is does this not really offer anymore than the OTA EPG data?

Need to get the Green Button mapped to load Kodi, not found a simple way yet, tried EventGhost but it just stopped my IR working completely!

Can you search the EGP? I am used to going through each category i.e. Drama, Sport and clicking to record each show. I am assuming NextPVR support series linking?!

Cheers.

I used to use XMLTV source for HD channels on Freeview, as the info wasn't included in the OTA, or wasn't readable by my back end (nextPVR) - not sure which... but now it all works find without XMLTV, so I don't use it any more... I've not found that it provides are better info over the OTA. Only advantage being of course, that you don't need to take up a tuner whilst downloading the EPG... but I do it at 3am, so not really a problem!
Finding the EPG a bit of a pain. some listings are missing, plus I can't search via catagory, any ideas? I need to investigate the epg listings tomorrow, just the search function I'm miss from MCE.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Long time MCE user coming over to Kodi1